• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Article Manager v1.0

RobAnderson

TinyMCE was only suggested, at least by me, because it is easire to setup from an installation perspective. But FCKEditor is really the better editor for Article Manager since it handles images better in admin in FF (TinyMCE requires another addon for that). Article Manager V 1.57 is setup to work with TinyMCE, FCKEditor and CKEditor. You have to install the editor you want to use and then set the appropriate setting in the admin settings. The latest version of TinyMCE works fine in Chrome although, as I recall, an edit is needed to make TinyMCE anywhere work with the new version of TinyMCE. I don't know if anyone is supporting TinyMCE Anywhere anymore though. You would need to ask in its support thread.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

G'day,

Just installed both Header Tags SEO and Article Manager. Amazing the effort gone in to these so thank you Jack and everyone else involved.

I have an issue I believe related to my install. When I try editing an article with CKEditor turned on, the "Article Content" area gets erased of the previously typed content and if I publish the article, all previous content is erased.

I have searched the forumn without much luck.

Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers,

Duncan

Pendants Australia

Just installed both Header Tags SEO and Article Manager. Amazing the effort gone in to these so thank you Jack and everyone else involved.

I have an issue I believe related to my install. When I try editing an article with CKEditor turned on, the "Article Content" area gets erased of the previously typed content and if I publish the article, all previous content is erased.

I have searched the forumn without much luck.

Any suggestions would be great.

I'm not aware of a problem with the editor working with articles and am pretty sure I tested it, but maybe not. I do know there is a mistake in the admin/articles.php file. This line

echo '<script type="text/javascript" src="./ckfinder/ckfinder.js""></script>';

should be deleted, unless you have that module installed. I don't know if that will cause the problem you are having but it is worth a try. When I get a chance, I will test the editor in article manager to see if I get the failure too.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

I'm not aware of a problem with the editor working with articles and am pretty sure I tested it, but maybe not. I do know there is a mistake in the admin/articles.php file. This line

echo '<script type="text/javascript" src="./ckfinder/ckfinder.js""></script>';

should be deleted, unless you have that module installed. I don't know if that will cause the problem you are having but it is worth a try. When I get a chance, I will test the editor in article manager to see if I get the failure too.

Hi Jack,

Thank you for the speedy reply...much appreciated...and for your work on this contrib'..the install instructions alone must have taken a lifetime.

I just removed the script you mentioned however after testing, this has not resolved the issue. When I switch the ckeditor back off, the Article Content text is restored assuming I didn't save the article while ckeditor was active. Any testing you can do would be great and suggestions greatly appreciated.

On a seperate issue, while attempting to test the cross-sell function, I attempted to remove a product I had added to an article and received the following error;

"

Cross-Sell Articles to Products

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 1

DELETE FROM articles_xsell WHERE articles_id = '8' and )

[TEP STOP]

"

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.

Duncan.

Hi and congratulations for the addon.

Can you please help me on why the Greek version of the article is not saved (my store has greek and english as languages).

It must be a database problem because when I go to articles or topics from the admin I see all fields with the Greek text (titles or descriptions) to be blank. That must means that they are not saved in the database.

Correct me if I'm wrong and please help me on how to fix that.

thanks in advance

George

Hello Jack, I have run into the same problem (though my languages are English and French)... Header tags work great, the article manager shows the boxes with both languages to fill in just like header tags do, but when pressing update in the article manager part only the default language 1 is saved and all changes to create in the language 2 disappear. Have you found out why? As I say, Header tags work perfectly so I do not know why Article manager won't save the second language. Thanks for looking into this and thanks for all the work you did to redo this add-on!

Mandy

Hello Jack, I have run into the same problem (though my languages are English and French)... Header tags work great, the article manager shows the boxes with both languages to fill in just like header tags do, but when pressing update in the article manager part only the default language 1 is saved and all changes to create in the language 2 disappear. Have you found out why? As I say, Header tags work perfectly so I do not know why Article manager won't save the second language. Thanks for looking into this and thanks for all the work you did to redo this add-on!

Mandy

G'day Mandy, I actually have this problem as well even with the CKEditor turned off. The default language (English) works fine however the updates to content for the other two languages (German and Spanish) get cleared when I go back in to the article to update it.

Hi Jack & thanks yet again for still more great stuff.

Just a quick note to let you know that an install of the current latest versions of Article Manager (1.57_4) over Header Tags SEO (3.2.2) gives an error on inserting topics until you implement the header_tags.php fix in the instructions for migrating from Article Manager 1.54 to 1.57 - which is arguably an update to the other package.

For anyone searching for a resolution to their problem: if on confirming the insert of a new topic, you get an error like this

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare getfilearray() (previously declared in ...catalog.../admin/includes/functions/version_checker.php:66) in ...catalog.../admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php on line 590

you need to implement the change to admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php which is described in update_v_1.57_3_to_1.57_4.txt in the Docs directory of the article manager package.

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

Hello,

Currently the articles are located as the infoxbox. Customers will need to click the topics in order to be linked to the articles page.

Does any one know how to automatically list a number of "latest articles" including the article name, date created and short descriptions the home page below the text "what's new"? similar to this website http://www.charger.od.ua/

And is it possible to show a short description in the infobox instead of just the links of the topics?

Thank you!

Edited by minipassat

Hi Jack,

Near the end of the install instructions in readme.txt it says "In admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php (only for Header Tags SEO before version 3.2.3)..."

However, the latest version of Header tags SEO is only 3.2.2. which I have installed. (See http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5851 ).

Is this a typo in readme.txt, or should I do the find and replace as instructed?

Cheers

Near the end of the install instructions in readme.txt it says "In admin/includes/functions/header_tags.php (only for Header Tags SEO before version 3.2.3)..."

However, the latest version of Header tags SEO is only 3.2.2. which I have installed. (See http://addons.oscommerce.com/info/5851 ).

Is this a typo in readme.txt, or should I do the find and replace as instructed?

See here.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack, thanks for the above post.

I am testing the the cross-sell function, and getting the same SQL problem as Duncan (see his post above) when I attempt to remove a product I had added to an article. I get this error in admin/articles_xsell.php?add_related_article_ID=1&cPath=21 :

1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ')' at line 1

DELETE FROM articles_xsell WHERE articles_id = '1' and )

[TEP STOP]

In fact the root cause may be occurring earlier than this module.

In admin/articles_xsell.php I see a table containing one row showing link between article and product. When I click on link in table "Add/Remove", I am taken to

admin/articles_xsell.php?add_related_article_ID=1

This screen just has a drop down box "Select a Category" containing the word "Top". I was surprised by that, I thought it would take me direct to the next step.

I choose the category containing the product from that list and am taken to

admin/articles_xsell.php?add_related_article_ID=1&cPath=21

I can see a tick next to the product. I remove the tick and click save resulting in the error 1064 described at top of this post.

Any idea what the problem is?

Cheers

Greetings

I just installed this but I have a problem. I dont have anything under my catalog list, no options relating to this contribution. Could someone let me know what I did wrong. I have been through the instructions several times.

Thanks.

I just installed this but I have a problem. I dont have anything under my catalog list, no options relating to this contribution. Could someone let me know what I did wrong. I have been through the instructions several times.

This contribution doesn't make any changes to your catalog.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack,

I've done some digging and found out exactly what is causing this (from an admin user's perspective rather than a programmer's).

The thing that causes this error is if you remove the tick then press save. If you leave the tick in place then press save, the link between the product and the article is removed from the database.

Looks like it must be a little bug in the code that is triggered when the tick is unchecked.

Cheers

Jack, thanks for the above post.

I am testing the the cross-sell function, and getting the same SQL problem as Duncan (see his post above) when I attempt to remove a product I had added to an article. I get this error in admin/articles_xsell.php?add_related_article_ID=1&cPath=21 :

DELETE FROM articles_xsell WHERE articles_id = '1' and )

[TEP STOP]

In fact the root cause may be occurring earlier than this module.

In admin/articles_xsell.php I see a table containing one row showing link between article and product. When I click on link in table "Add/Remove", I am taken to

admin/articles_xsell.php?add_related_article_ID=1

This screen just has a drop down box "Select a Category" containing the word "Top". I was surprised by that, I thought it would take me direct to the next step.

I choose the category containing the product from that list and am taken to

admin/articles_xsell.php?add_related_article_ID=1&cPath=21

I can see a tick next to the product. I remove the tick and click save resulting in the error 1064 described at top of this post.

Any idea what the problem is?

Cheers

Jack,

I've done some digging and found out exactly what is causing this (from an admin user's perspective rather than a programmer's).

The thing that causes this error is if you remove the tick then press save. If you leave the tick in place then press save, the link between the product and the article is removed from the database.

Looks like it must be a little bug in the code that is triggered when the tick is unchecked.

Cheers

Thanks for posting that. It should help.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hullo All,

I just want to thank Rob, Jack and others who are contributing so much here with valuable information and very nice addons.

It's trully a community that goes a step further in terms of sharing know how and technology solutions, that can be delievered in a widespread of cases, reducing the continuous effort to bring the best information to clients.

It's for me motivating to be part of this and i'm quite eager with what one can learn in here.

Thank you and keep the good work, because, you deserve a lot of credits.

Cheers,

Francys

Edited by Francys

Hullo Jack and thanks for these addons,

I have the following list of issues that are not working in my site:

Only the default language is working how can i save in the other languages

Mandy

G'day Mandy, I actually have this problem as well even with the CKEditor turned off. The default language (English) works fine however the updates to content for the other two languages (German and Spanish) get cleared when I go back in to the article to update it.

I have sitemap SEO last version but it isn't displaying the articles in the sitemaps

I am using another simple contribution for tags, but i installed Header Tags SEO in all files execept:

index.php file

product_info.php

product_reviews.php

product_reviews_info.php

product_reviews_write.php

specials.php

SUGGESTION: Would be nice to see an article manager contribution that would work independently of any tags contribution being installed or not.

thanks in advance

Edited by Francys

I have sitemap SEO last version but it isn't displaying the articles in the sitemaps

You have to enable the options in the Sitemap SEO settings.

I am using another simple contribution for tags, but i installed Header Tags SEO in all files execept:

Then you are not optimizing your site as much as you could if Header Tags was installed.

SUGGESTION: Would be nice to see an article manager contribution that would work independently of any tags contribution being installed or not.

The non V 1.57 versions do not require Header Tags SEO.

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello Jack, thanks for your fast reply.

Regarding the sitemap SEO i have sorted it, the option wasn't really correctly configured.

I am now re-checking all the steps in articles manages last version and Header Tags last version installation to check what i have done wrong.

In tell_a_friend.php i used $GET instead of the &HTTP_GET_VARS (unlike it's told for us to do but it was for security reasons), i have Sam's sanitize code.

Can we have a potential bug if we do this. I'm going to test.

Also, do i need to put the code you recomend in aplication_top.php, because i have there a potential bug in this bit of code:

/*** BOF code replace Header Tags SEO ***/

// add category names or the manufacturer name to the breadcrumb trail

if (isset($cPath_array)) {

for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($cPath_array); $i<$n; $i++) {

$categories_query = tep_db_query("select categories_htc_title_tag from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " where categories_id = '" . (int)$cPath_array[$i] . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "' LIMIT 1");

if (tep_db_num_rows($categories_query) > 0) {

$categories = tep_db_fetch_array($categories_query);

$breadcrumb->add($categories['categories_htc_title_tag'], tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'cPath=' . implode('_', array_slice($cPath_array, 0, ($i+1)))));

} else {

break;

}

}

} elseif (isset($_GET['manufacturers_id'])) {

$manufacturers_query = tep_db_query("select manufacturers_htc_title_tag from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS_INFO . " where manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$_GET['manufacturers_id'] . "' AND languages_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "' LIMIT 1");

if (tep_db_num_rows($manufacturers_query)) {

$manufacturers = tep_db_fetch_array($manufacturers_query);

$breadcrumb->add($manufacturers['manufacturers_htc_title_tag'], tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'manufacturers_id=' . $_GET['manufacturers_id']));

}

}

/*// add the products name to the breadcrumb trail

if (isset($_GET['products_id'])) {

$products_query = tep_db_query("select pd.products_head_title_tag from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p left join " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd on p.products_id = pd.products_id where p.products_id = '" . (int)$_GET['products_id'] . "' and pd.language_id ='" . (int)$languages_id . "' LIMIT 1");

if (tep_db_num_rows($products_query)) {

$products = tep_db_fetch_array($products_query);

$breadcrumb->add($products['products_head_title_tag'], tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'cPath=' . $cPath . '&products_id=' . $_GET['products_id']));

}

} */

//There can be possible sintaxe or semantic errors due to another metatags and Header Tags SEO being in this file//

/*** EOF code replace Header Tags SEO ***/

//BOF Code replace another metatag seo

// add the products model to the breadcrumb trail

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'])) {

$name_query = tep_db_query("select products_name from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " where products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' AND language_id=" . (int)$languages_id . "");

if (tep_db_num_rows($name_query)) {

$name = tep_db_fetch_array($name_query);

$breadcrumb->add($name['products_name'], tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'cPath=' . $cPath . '&products_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id']));

}

}

//EOF COde replace another metatags

//BOF code added article manager

// include the articles functions

require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'articles.php');

// calculate topic path

if (isset($_GET['tPath'])) {

$tPath = $_GET['tPath'];

} elseif (isset($_GET['articles_id']) && !isset($_GET['authors_id'])) {

$tPath = tep_get_article_path($_GET['articles_id']);

} else {

$tPath = '';

}

if (tep_not_null($tPath)) {

$tPath_array = tep_parse_topic_path($tPath);

$tPath = implode('_', $tPath_array);

$current_topic_id = $tPath_array[(sizeof($tPath_array)-1)];

} else {

$current_topic_id = 0;

}

if (isset($_GET['articles_id'])) {

$articlesPage = FILENAME_ARTICLE_INFO . "?articles_id=" . $_GET['articles_id'];

$pageTags_query = tep_db_query("select page_name, page_title from " . TABLE_HEADERTAGS . " where page_name like '" . $articlesPage . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "' LIMIT 1");

if (tep_db_num_rows($pageTags_query) == 1) {

$pageTags = tep_db_fetch_array($pageTags_query);

$breadcrumb->add('Articles', tep_href_link(FILENAME_ARTICLES));

$breadcrumb->add($pageTags['page_title'], tep_href_link($articlesPage));

}

}

//EOF code added article manager

Edited by Francys

In tell_a_friend.php i used $GET instead of the &HTTP_GET_VARS (unlike it's told for us to do but it was for security reasons), i have Sam's sanitize code.

Can we have a potential bug if we do this. I'm going to test.

Also, do i need to put the code you recomend in aplication_top.php, because i have there a potential bug in this bit of code:

$_GET should be used. I had already replaced that in the files that I worked on but I'm sure there are still some in there. It won't hurt anything to use $_GET instead of $HTTP_GET_VARS.

The part of the code in application_top.php having to do with Header Tags is for the breadcrumb and you can skip that if you want. You can't skip the code that has to do with Article Manager though.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

$_GET should be used. I had already replaced that in the files that I worked on but I'm sure there are still some in there. It won't hurt anything to use $_GET instead of $HTTP_GET_VARS.

The part of the code in application_top.php having to do with Header Tags is for the breadcrumb and you can skip that if you want. You can't skip the code that has to do with Article Manager though.

Hi Jack and Thanks for your reply.

Here is a feedback over the contribution status, (the complete pack you made available) at least for me:

Issues:

1- Multilanguage sites are not updating the information (only default language is saved all the rest is lost after saving) - also when a user submit's an article it's supposed that the admin before publishing it will translate in the rest of languages right?

2- When one clicks in show all topics is returning in the bottom of the page "Error! Unable to determine the page link!"

3- Feeds are returning an error (and one must change the website instead silvermoon's)

4- When submitting an article is returning the same error as in all topics "Error!Unable to determine the page link!"

5- The languages files in client and admin side have different codes, which wasn't supposed to happen (independently of the translations).

Questions:

1- Can you answer on which pages shall use the Header Tags SEO strictly for this contribution to work?

Thanks in advance

Here is a feedback over the contribution status, (the complete pack you made available) at least for me:

Issues:

2- When one clicks in show all topics is returning in the bottom of the page "Error! Unable to determine the page link!"

Questions:

1- Can you answer on which pages shall use the Header Tags SEO strictly for this contribution to work?

The "Unable to determine the page link" error is almost always due to having the Search Engine Friendly option set in admin. That option should never be used.

Partially installing contributions, especially when they are mixed with others that perform the same fuction is not recommended - for any contribution. Figuring that out is something you will need to work out since there are too many variables to consider and is not something covered in a support thread like this, especially since it doesn't have to do with either of the contributions involved.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons