• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Article Manager v1.0

RobAnderson

No, there's nothing in the code for that. You can add the few lines of code that Header Tags uses to display the social bookmarks on any page of the shop though, including articles, so that would work fine.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

i have followed all the installation in read me file but i am stuck in includes/application_top i cant find the header tag SEO but in the beginning it said that no header tags contribution is needed please help and by the way i am using article manager 1.57_3

Edited by zaidmaster

i have followed all the installation in read me file but i am stuck in includes/application_top i cant find the header tag SEO but in the beginning it said that no header tags contribution is needed please help and by the way i am using article manager 1.57_3

It seems as if you've installed a version that is Header Tags compatible. If you don't wish to install Header Tags SEO then look for this in includes/application_top.php

// add category names or the manufacturer name to the breadcrumb trail
 if (isset($cPath_array)) {
   for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($cPath_array); $i<$n; $i++) {
     $categories_query = tep_db_query("select categories_name from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " where categories_id = '" . (int)$cPath_array[$i] . "' and language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
     if (tep_db_num_rows($categories_query) > 0) {
       $categories = tep_db_fetch_array($categories_query);
       $breadcrumb->add($categories['categories_name'], tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'cPath=' . implode('_', array_slice($cPath_array, 0, ($i+1)))));
     } else {
       break;
     }
   }
 } elseif (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) {
   $manufacturers_query = tep_db_query("select manufacturers_name from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " where manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . "'");
   if (tep_db_num_rows($manufacturers_query)) {
     $manufacturers = tep_db_fetch_array($manufacturers_query);
     $breadcrumb->add($manufacturers['manufacturers_name'], tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'manufacturers_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id']));
   }
 }

// add the products model to the breadcrumb trail
 if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'])) {
   $model_query = tep_db_query("select products_model from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "'");
   if (tep_db_num_rows($model_query)) {
     $model = tep_db_fetch_array($model_query);
     $breadcrumb->add($model['products_model'], tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'cPath=' . $cPath . '&products_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id']));
   }
 }

then add the code in the instructions for Articles Manager after.

I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Jack and everybody

I have a problem with the links to nested topics from the articles infobox. I have articles manager 1.57.3 installed and header tags SEO version 3.1.5

In detail: I add 1 top level topic (ie topic1) and one nested topic under it (ie topic1_1).

They both appear correctly in the infobox and the link to topic1 works well. When pressing on the link to topic1_1 I'm getting a 404 error.

If I go via "all articles", (display topic in article listing is set to true) and press there on the link topic1_1, it leads me to the topic !

Where is the difference?

Looking at the path's I see following:

Infobox shows tPath=7_8 (---> 404 error)

Link on article listing shows tPath=8 (--> works ok)

In the database (table topics) my topic1_1 has a topic_id of 8 and a parent_id of 7

So, everything looks ok, not? But it doesn't work !

I compared the box files articles.php and categories.php and they are like identical (except ofcourse that articles refers to topics not categories). Same thing with index.php and articles.php

Where could the issue be?

Exactly the same thing happens with the authors box. Here I have just 1. When I click on the link in the authors box, I'm getting again a 404.

PS. I also suspected ultimate SEO url's to do some bad game here, but turning them off, didn't change anything.

Edited by multimixer

I have a problem with the links to nested topics from the articles infobox. I have articles manager 1.57.3 installed and header tags SEO version 3.1.5

In detail: I add 1 top level topic (ie topic1) and one nested topic under it (ie topic1_1).

They both appear correctly in the infobox and the link to topic1 works well. When pressing on the link to topic1_1 I'm getting a 404 error.

If I go via "all articles", (display topic in article listing is set to true) and press there on the link topic1_1, it leads me to the topic !

I tried it on my test shop here and it worked fine. I have a later version of Header Tags installed but that shouldn't affect this. So I can't think of anything to suggest other than to try installing this contribution into a fresh shop and see if that works.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Well, yes, finally I will do that.

Some more evaluation brought following

1) Case A: When I am on article_topics.php (behaves same as the link on articles.php when viewing "all articles")

The link to my nested topic "nest" in my source code looks like this

When clicking on it, it brings me to the page, and the url is as follows

localhost/multimixer/articles.php?tPath=8.html?osCsid=7cbf66802ec670d682ba93fef1afc190

2) Case B. I Am on articles.php, looking the infobox

The link to my "nested" topic looks (in the infobox) like this

So we have a different tPath, but this is ok I guess. The point is that the link should work

When I pess on it I get the 404.The url on the 404 page looks like this

localhost/multimixer/first-steps-t-7_8.html?osCsid=7cbf66802ec670d682ba93fef1afc190

Note that the url is still in he SEO url's manner and that the name is "first-steps" and not "nest"

If I type in manually

localhost/multimixer/articles.php?tPath=7_8.html

It shows correctly, both the page and the url

I'm absolutely (?) sure now that the issue has to do with the SEO url's.

I'm posting this not to let any thought to come up that something is wrong with this great contribution

One more update, I know it's not exclusively related to this contribution, but after the issue started here, I'll post again here

I went to my .htaccess file and changed this

RewriteRule ^(.*)-t-([0-9]+).html$ articles.php?tPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

to this (like it is for product categories)

RewriteRule ^(.*)-t-(.*).html$ articles.php?tPath=$2&%{QUERY_STRING}

The result is: The link to the nested article in the infobox works now

The url (with SEO url's on) shows

localhost/multimixer/first-steps-t-7_8.html

Now I have 2 questions

1) I don't know exactly what this change I did in .htaccess mean I just copied what I saw is done for categories. Is there any handicap in having it like this?

2) Should the shown url not be

localhost/multimixer/nest-t-7_8.html

why to show the parent topic name?

Hello,

I'm wondering if Article Manager is the solution for what I need my site to do.

I have a shop that specializes in antiques, and I installed oscommerce about a year ago and populated it with items and services, it really helped my page rank in google. Since November, I've started over from scratch, building a better site, learning from the mistakes from the older install. My new site is going to be much cleaner, more streamlined.

What I would like to do, is have some sort of database (it doesn't have to be the same one oscommerce uses) access a section of my oscommerce site. A link inside an infobox which would list all the various manufactures over the years. So you would go to my site, see one of the infoboxes to the right or left, notice a link saying "Manufacturer Companies" or something, and when you click on that, it would bring up a page (still in oscommerce, all the infoboxes and headers and footers would be there still). The new page would have a directory listing, searchable, either by a search box or by browsing alphabetically, and when one would click on a listing the same page would update to that information.

EDIT - This would also list the companies history, and perhaps some pictures.

Is this something I could modify Article Manager to do? I could change the labels in the english files to say "manufacturer" instead of author right? Or should I go deeper and change the way the database is modified, changing all the "article" labels and names to what I need them to be.

Thank you for any input on this,

Jason

Edited by rustyclockwork

Hi,

To make individual header title, description, keywords for each article - do you have to add this manually as a "Pseudo Page" from admin, header tags SEO?

I have latest Article manager installed and Header Tags SEO 3.0.7. Maybe this is part of the Header Tags SEO 3.0.8 update (-> Fixed code so that all pages of Articles Manager can now be added.)

Want to double check before updating Header SEO - updating a contribution is often very complicated :)

Thanks for a great contribution.

To make individual header title, description, keywords for each article - do you have to add this manually as a "Pseudo Page" from admin, header tags SEO?

I asked similar in the header tags forum, you can see here and here

Ok and whats your conclusion - you have to add title, description and keywords manually for each article?

Thanks

If you want them to be unique, then, yes.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

If you want them to be unique, then, yes.

I'm confused now. I thought that I'm doing something wrong and that I should have unique titles etc for each article and topic without setting them manually, and that my alternations of header_tags.php are wrong.

Maybe they are not?

Hello,

I need help with two things:

1. Articles Xsell-I have a large shop with over 400,000 products. I would like to know if its possible to cross sell products by the products_id instead of selecting the product from the drop down menu. Has anyone successfully done this? If so please share.

2. List of articles on index page-How can I get like a list of articles to show up on the index page? I want to show the five newest articles and a small abstraction.

Thanks

I'm confused now. I thought that I'm doing something wrong and that I should have unique titles etc for each article and topic without setting them manually, and that my alternations of header_tags.php are wrong.

Maybe they are not?

Header Tags never creates unique titles and tags unless you make an effort to do that via fill tags, page control or the product edit page. It's no difference for articles, topics and authors. If you want to have unique title and tags, which you should, then you need to create them.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

1. Articles Xsell-I have a large shop with over 400,000 products. I would like to know if its possible to cross sell products by the products_id instead of selecting the product from the drop down menu. Has anyone successfully done this? If so please share.

2. List of articles on index page-How can I get like a list of articles to show up on the index page? I want to show the five newest articles and a small abstraction.

1 - The XSell in articles manager is just for relating products to articles, which may not be what you want. But if it is, the only way is through that section in admin.

2 - You would have to copy and edit the code in the infobox that displays those and add that code to the index file.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

1 - The XSell in articles manager is just for relating products to articles, which may not be what you want. But if it is, the only way is through that section in admin.

2 - You would have to copy and edit the code in the infobox that displays those and add that code to the index file.

Thanks for the reply Jack.

Since I have such a large database, it's a strain on my PC when attempting to load a category with thouands of items. It consumes a lot of memory and causes it to freeze. Even with 2GB memory. So I found it easier to put a temporary product in the Xsell area in admin. Then I go to phpMyadmin and change it to the correct product by replacing the item number. It works well that way. I realize most of these contributions are made to suit smaller shops.

It is what I'm looking for, however. I want to write content and relate products to my articles. Its good for SEO and consumers. I appreciate the advice on number 2. I will give it a try.

Thanks.

Header Tags never creates unique titles and tags unless you make an effort to do that via fill tags, page control or the product edit page. It's no difference for articles, topics and authors. If you want to have unique title and tags, which you should, then you need to create them.

Yes, that is clear.

So I go in admin and write a new article, fill in name, abstract(meta) and write the article. Should this "name" and "abstract" that I wrote not appear in the header tags, lets say "by default", instead of repeating the same procedure doing a pseudo page and entering again the (same?) title and meta description?

Yes, that is clear.

So I go in admin and write a new article, fill in name, abstract(meta) and write the article. Should this "name" and "abstract" that I wrote not appear in the header tags, lets say "by default", instead of repeating the same procedure doing a pseudo page and entering again the (same?) title and meta description?

It probably should but it doesn't. An articles page isn't like a regular page since the file doesn't actually exist. So there's not any code in Header Tags to handle the page prior to it being added as a pseudo page. Code could be added to check if entries exist for the pseudo page and, if not, use the existing text, but that isn't some planned at this point.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It probably should but it doesn't. An articles page isn't like a regular page since the file doesn't actually exist. So there's not any code in Header Tags to handle the page prior to it being added as a pseudo page. Code could be added to check if entries exist for the pseudo page and, if not, use the existing text, but that isn't some planned at this point.

The article page is same as a product page: It exist just one .php page. So why not to handle articles in the same way as products?

The easy and fast way is to take the information that exist in the database (article name and meta description) and print it into the header information. I have it like this and it works fine. There is just a "hole" about keywords

The correct way would be to add some more special fields to the topics and articles edit pages in admin for header tags, same as for products and categories. Also to include articles abd topics to the "fill_tags.php" in admin.

And as we are like in a planning mood, some thoughts I got are:

- featured articles

- related articles (articles 2 articles)

- separate articles 2 products and products 2 articles: So I can have an article related to a product but not the product to the article

- Image "upload" for articles, topics and authors, same as for products (the procedure now is a bit complicated)

- Make reviews visible on the same page as articles (can be the article_info.php page or the article reviews) and maybe add the "review_write" also to the same page, so that it looks more as a blog

I know it sounds like a Stanta Claus list, but I'm ready to work on it (with my limited knowledge) if you Jack take the management and control.

Thins I've done so far:

- the "easy way" for meta tags

- Made a special "tell_a_friend_article.php" box for easier integration into page structure

- for STS: made sts_articles.php and sts_articles_info.php files to be able to have path and content templates same as for products and categories

I think this is a very great contribution and an excellent SEO instrument

Thank you for your time Jack

Hello,

I have Header Tags SEO v 3 installed and also Ultimate SEO Urls installed.

I installed Article Manager, and this code is showing up in the new infobox for articles

Warning: Usu_Articles Incorrect tPath presented: in /home/oldfoun1/public_html/catalog/includes/modules/ultimate_seo_urls5/modules/Usu_Articles.php on line 126

New Articles

All Articles

All Topics

->

Articles RSS Feed

The code on line 126

// Sanity check - if the $base_path is not numeric then we dump it

if ( false === is_numeric( $base_path ) ) {

trigger_error( __CLASS__ . ' Incorrect ' . self::DEPENDENCY . ' presented: ' . $valuepair[1], E_USER_WARNING );

return false;

}

I deleted that code and everything works fine now...

until that code is needed eventually, that is...

This looks like a really neat contribution. I'm going to use it to list a compendium of toy makers and factories.

Will the viewer be able to browse these alphabetically?

I'm going to use one field as the name of the company, and another field for a brief history.

Jason

Edited by rustyclockwork

I know it sounds like a Stanta Claus list, but I'm ready to work on it (with my limited knowledge) if you Jack take the management and control.

No thanks, my plate is full. The code is open source though so you can change it however you like.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I deleted that code and everything works fine now...

Will the viewer be able to browse these alphabetically?

The error you were getting sounds like another compatibility issue with SEO 5. You should check in its support thread since deleting code to remove an error is not usually a good idea.

As far as the sorting, there aren't any options to control that in this contribution. The code would need to be changed.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons