• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

added a few features- Dragonmother.com

Dragonmom

Inspired by some of the other stores here :) I got my *ss in gear and added my information pages into my storefront. They are listed in a box called "Book of Spells". I will add a link to a printable version of each page.

I also modified the language for the manufacturers.php, and found a mod that turns it into a popup link on product_info.php. Now it adds extra "magical" information to each item.

so- is my storefront complete enough now to make into the first page of the site?

How can I make the opening page more interesting?

DragonMother Wand Works

psst... wanna buy a wand?

Interesting site

The logo and parchment border are low res and could use a facelift. That could make the page "pop".

I'd either shorter the category text or widen the column to avoid word-wrapping. Personally, I'd turn off the category count but I know a lot of people like it on.

besom.php is a blank page

Also, I'd be more forthcoming with your prices. When sites make me go that far in to see their prices, I quickly move on to other sites.

The color scheme doesn't really work for me but I'm not really your target audience either.

Overall, I like what you've got started. It has a distinctive look and has gotten rid of the standard osc look and most of the infoboxes.

I think a facelift and a few tweaks here and there will make quite a difference.

I'm not usually a fan of daily quotes and such on websites but I saw something years ago that you may find interesting and might find useful for your site. Pagan Daybook II ($25.00) at Alchemy Mindworks is at least worth a look. I think you'll enjoy it. :)

Also, I noticed that I get an invalid SSL certificate name notice when I try to login. If you are using your web host's certificate this will happen. A way around that is to reference them by their name not their dns number (i.e-- http://hanssolo.lightningservers.net/~youracctname).

hth

The problems with the certificate are that it is self-signed and expired. The name of the certificate does match the name of the SSL site.

Hth,

Matt

Well, I emailed my host about the certificate

Mikes, what do you mean by "Low res"? I try to maximise my site, as it was only a short while ago that I got highspeed connection- many of my clients still have slow dialups.

I do agree that the graphics look rough compared with so many other sites- even some I have done myself. At the time I liked it like that- maybe it's time to rethink it.

One problem for this site is that the images are necessarily long and thin. I wouldn't mind adding the prices to the category.php pages, but they would have to go under each image- not to the side. That is part of why I don't have featured products or new products on the first page! AND it's why I don't have an image in the reviews box.

Can anyone give me pointers on how to specify the image size for the reviews box?

About DL speed, keep in mind that images get cached so if it does take a wee bit longer to load an image the first time, subsequent loads will frequently come from cache. Since the logo and the "parchment" backgound are used on almost every page, you could make more detailed images without substantially impacting overall DL time through the site. Also, 56k is pretty much the minimum anymore (anyone slower will expect longer DL times) and dsl/cable are becoming very standard.

I took another look at your site. One thing occured to me...

You might replace the pictures of your Athames with images of them with cut herbs and such. A picture of a ceremonial knife could bring up all sorts of images to people not familiar with their purpose. Although your customers will know what they are for, younger customers will have parents who will want to see what sites are being visited.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

Bless your heart, Mikes, you are so right about the Athames! That is a very good idea.

I am planning to add the ministores addition, actually- I make other more esoteric items, that mommies won't want to have to explain to thier children at all. The main store will be hidden in a subdomain, and the Harry Potter type things will be easier to get to.

Hi Dragonmom,

At the risk of makin your pages longer, rather than wider, you can use vertical pics for the wands rather than horizontal ones.

Also, if you'd like to add shaman canes to your inventory, pm me ;)

Archived