• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Video Game Site...

defender39

My Webpage

This site is only about 6 months old and I have installed about 20 contribs. I really want to redo the look because I think it's a bit flat. Please tell me what you think about anything you see odd at the site or something you would like to see that's not there. The site does good sales but I think it could be better.

I just made some more changes that I think work out. The site appeared sorta flat so I have added background texture images. I think it helps a lot.

Please take a look and tell me what you think.

I could also use any testing you do to find errors or problems.

If you want to make a test order just do a money order payment and in the notes put test.

If you want to drive customers away from your site, the falling snowflakes are a quick and easy way to do that. If that is not your goal, remove em quick :)

Other than that, it looks like a standard osc layout with a bunch of hacks applied. Do something to make it different and focus on the products instead of the bells and whistles.

There are a great many logos and info boxes. I'd go through and ask myself on each one 'does that customer care about this? will it help make a sale?'. If either answer is questionable, remove it!

Since it is a live store, go look at trends. Do you have repeat business? What products are purchased together? If you are lucky you may see a trend that will help you better place your products to encourage multiple item sales and repeat business.

hth

OK....I took the snow out for now. I will work on reducing the infoboxes.

Also note: I know that madmacgames looks really nice but they have nothing to keep me at the site. No reviews, forums, polls.

I have always thought that Wizards and wars was a nice looking site that actually uses OSC. Funny thing is...I just went to look at it. And the guy is also using the snowflakes. lol I have emailed him a couple times so I know he looked at my site. He must have liked it. At least enough to use it for his site.

I think the snowflakes were cute and thought they werent really in the way and somehow added a refreshing look...and also reminded people of the holiday season. It really didnt interfere with the interface.

I might put it back up but for now I will see how I like it without it. Any other ideas? I will work on the infoboxes later. Any suggestions to moving them around?

W & W looks rubbish with snowflakes too. Even worse than yours did as his has a "menacing" look about it - which the flakes totally ruin.

As for having a forum and polls etc on an ecommerce site. These things would not help me to buy a video game. Reviews could, but probably not. I know what I want to buy - I'm looking for the cheapest price only.

Funny you should metion the snowflakes.

We've gotten over 100 compliments from regular customers, web designers, and ecommerce veterans that they really like the holiday spirit, including the snowflakes and the Christmas altered logo. And our sales are up this month by over 200%. By far, the best month we've ever had. Traffic is also up a solid 50% (http://www.alexa.com/data/details/traffic_details?q=&url=www.wizardsandwars.com).

defender39, I think the snowflakes look great. People do like a little christmas cheer, and you're site loads fast enough that I think the flakes are great for your shop as well. It reminds visits that Christmas is coming quickly, and maybe they should purchase somethign as one of their gifts.

The snowflakes were something that made your site a little unique. You might also want to consider changing the infobox headers and footer.

The new background looks better as well. I think you're headed in the right direction.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Thanks WandW...I think I will put them back now.

And Burt...are you saying that all the bells and whistles at Amazon.com are useless? That traffic is NOT improved because they have all the extras? That you never go to Amazon because you know it has the wishlist, solid reviews, and customer recommendations.

I understand price is first. Look at my prices....they are solid competing prices with any online retailer. But to keep the eyeballs there I think the extra bells and whistles help. Now a clean layout is incredibly important and that is really what needs the most work on my site.

To be fair, I agree with burt about all of the infoboxes.

For most of them, they are just not needed. Reviews, for example, you'll notice you don't see a infobox on our stie for that. But we DO have reviews, we just didn't want to further clutter out main page. Specials are anohter useless box. Wishlist as well.

Polls are a different story, in my opinion. By far, the poll box is the most clicked on link in out entire shop. I guess customers of games like to have something a little interactive.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Reviews box might be able to go..I actually add the contrib that makes the reviews inside the product page.

I also think I will eliminate the accept payment box and move the info either footer or header, wishlist is only there while logged in, our auctions might be able to get moved also into header or footer, and I think the live support and help desk can somehow be redone. All in all I know I need to make the changes.

I was really waiting to make visual changes to my site after I have added all the contribs and changes I wanted...and I think I am about done. Now to make the site look good.

Keep the comments coming.

Yeah, another thing you can do instead of infoboxes, is add links in your information box.

And Burt...are you saying that all the bells and whistles at Amazon.com are useless? That traffic is NOT improved because they have all the extras? That you never go to Amazon because you know it has the wishlist, solid reviews, and customer recommendations.

Yes! I never go to Amazon because it has any of those things.

I buy from Amazon only because I know the prices are keen, and the delivery time is brilliant.

Whether or not I am the "typical customer" I couldn't tell you - but a site with dhtml snowflakes would turn me off immediately. I would look elsewhere - meaning you've lost a sale. And I'm probably in your target market...

I would agree that it would be a deterrant, albeit a small one.

It is an absolute certainty that you would lose some portntial visitors because of it.

The 'Skull" in the WizardsandWars logo probably costs some potential sales as well.

For the most part, I believe that's why so many sites have adapted such a 'generic' looking feel, like Amazon. Nothing there to really turn anyone off.

In any event, I think you'll find that the people that appreciate the snowflakes will outweigh the people that would leave your site because of it by about 100-1.

Yes!  I never go to Amazon because it has any of those things.
I have used the reviews to find things I wanted and given the wishlist to someone who requested it (I also use the wishlist to store things I might buy in the future; in fact, that's why I originally added things to it). Obviously, mileage varies.

Cheers,

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think both those sites look awesome, but the Wizard and Wars one take a bit too long to load up on high speed internet.

I'm still thinking about how i want to layout my website, it has to be fun looking site with the used videogames theme to it but still attract customers.

• 1 month later...

I think the site looks great... B) I aspire to a site that looks that strong. I also think that games users are interested in reviews, polls and being "included" in the "industry" so will probably get involved - remembering that most games are young this site really does appeal - i especially liked the poll on Halo 2 and the wording

I also think that the wizards site looks great !! again, maybe one day I'll be strong enough to be able to get my *functional* site to look **GREAT** :rolleyes:

Rodney, this time next year we'll be millionaires

I just realized all the contribs I have installed.

Polls

InfoBox Admin

Dynamic Information Pages

Easy Forums

More_Pics_6

Automatic Thumbnail Generator

Help Desk

Live Support

Featured products

Wishlist 2.0

Search Stats

User Tracking

Unsold Carts

Testimonials

PDF catalog

Monthly Sales Report

Sales Report

Enhanced Low Stock Report

Giftwrap on Checkout

COD Fee

Cash on Pickup(great for B&M retailers)

Restore Orders (customer cancellation)

Manual Orders (admin side order and account creation)

Enhanced Newsletter

Exchange Links

Auction Manager

RMA System

Reviews in Product Info

Shop by Price

Site Map

Margin Report

Easy Populate

OSC-Affiliate

Custom Meta Tag Maker

Edit Orders