• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Master Products - MS2

Sweet.. Any idea when that will be? This is probably the most useful mod I've found to date.. thanks for the great work :)

Colin

Well... I had hoped last month, but a lot came up to prevent that :unsure:

I have set aside some time this week to make some serious progress, but there is much to do as I am trying my best to satisfy suggestions made here, and this list has grown somewhat.... working on it :D

Matti

great contribution by the way....

but does anyone have a fix for this issue:

When i select products by Manufacturer from the manufacturers info box. The page shows all the masters and slaves individually. Does anyone have a way so it only shows the masters.

I found in answer for this when it happens in the product page, but i cant find a post the manufacturers page(http://www.internationalpointofsale.com/store/index.php?manufacturers_id=15)

I found a way to reproduce the problem you are having. When you make a slave product you 'cannot' put in the manufacturer. If you do, it will show up on the manufacturers page. Leave the manufacturer blank.

Later!

Colin

I installed Master Slave, it does everything I need. however, I have a few questions.

First,

Is there an add-on or different contrib. out there that is known to work well with M/S products that I can use to add product easier? Adding Master and Slave is time consuming.

Second,

What does the total slave show up in the categories? When I have 1 master and six slave, it show up as 6 slave in categories. When I click on the subcategories, it only have one product. does it possible to hide slave number?

Note* I already hide the slave when I created them.

Any Idea?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry about the double post but I now see this is where I should have posted this...

Ok, I am hoping that one of you can help me here. I have a client that sells satellite systems & accessories.

They have a promo going on right now that includes 5 receivers & a choice from 2 different dishs ALL for free (plus shipping).

The problem that we are running into is that the client does NOT have a model number attached to the free package but they do to each of the free items in the package. & each of those free items in the package NEEDS to have the model number attached to them when the order is placed so that the shipping company can ship the right items in the package.

How should I configure the shipping? Can I attach it to the main free package or will I need to attach it to one of the free items in the package?

How can I make this happen? Will this contrib work for us?

I have no problem entering each of those free items in the package 2 times. One with NO price assigned to use in the package & one with a price that can be bought individually. BOTH will have the same model number, will this cause a problem?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Does anyone have any answers to these questions for me?

Knowledge is Power!

Hi Johnson

Will it be possible that we can assign the slaves to multiple master products?

? E.g--> Master:1

? ? ? ? ? ? Slave:1

? ? ? ? ? ? Slave:2

? ? ? ? ? ? Slave:3

? ? Master:2

? ? Slave:1 (Also with Master:1)

? ? Slave:3 (Also With Master:1)

? And aso the Ability in the Admin to enable/disable description or not in the slave listing

?? I hope you get what I mean

Yes - you must use the 'copy to' button on the admin>category/product listing page and select the 'duplicate' option - you may duplicate to the same category or another, then 'edit' to assign a different Master Product to the duplicate.

You can toggle the description on/off in admin>configuration>Slave Products>Display Slave Product Description - set this to '0' to hide the description.

You can control the length of the description using the 'Length of Truncated Product Description' option.

Matti

OK, that's one way of assigning a slave to more than one master.

I have over 100 different master products (skateboards) that use a common slave product (bearings), and I need the bearing stock to update when any master product is purchased.

I presume the "duplicate" method will create duplicated and hence new stock levels, or do duplicate stock items refer back to a single stock level data?

My current cart system uses "multiproducts" instead of "masters", a multiproduct can contain any other products, including other multiproducts. Can you nest master products?

:)

chris

www.lushlongboards.com

I presume the "duplicate" method will create duplicated and hence new stock levels, or do duplicate stock items refer back to a single stock level data?
Yes, each duplicate product will have its own stock level (even though they may represent the same product). Linked products share stock levels but won't work for this, as they would also share masters. Matti already suggested that this might change in the future (i.e. that he might make a version that allowed a slave to actually have two or more masters; this would require another database table). In the meantime, the duplicate method will work (albeit clunkily).

Hth,

Matt

Always back up before making changes.

cut quote

I (finally ... this thread is getting long!) found his post mentioning that it may come out in version 2.

My use of OSC hinges on this functionality, so I'll keep watching! Thanks to Johnson for getting me this far. I have written a perl cart that copes with this functionality well, unfortunately I'm still a newbie at PHP ...

my (personal) requirements for this function would be;

- unlimited master products for each slave

- upload of master product configuration direct into database

My cart approaches the problem from the other end, master products are assigned "sub-products", which can be any number of any other products in the database, including other master products, but only down one nesting level. These master products are pre-configured in the database.

eg

master product SKU = "SKATEBOARD"

master product type = "MULTIPRODUCT"

master product details = "DECK=1&BEARINGS=1&TRUCK=2&WHEEL=4"

Hence the skateboard, when sold, updates the stock of all sub products, bearings, trucks and wheels. The shop actually calculates the effective cost of the separate sub products and if applicable displays a "saving" to the customer.

X-Cart has an identical function (Product Configurator) where a user can build their own "Complex Product", but no way of pre-configuring by database.

Hope that helps development :)

chris

www.lushlongboards.com

Or another way of looking at it would be a "bundled" product. Master product "A" is just a holder for other regular products, which don't need to be defined as slaves, which would make admin setup easier.

Somewhere in the description of product "A" is a field which defined the products in it's bundle. Product "A" has it's own price, which pops up a saving to the customer if this varies from the total cost of it's parts.

This would also enable "free gift Z with every purchase of product A" , or "buy product A and get product Z at half price" and similar....

I'm not sure if this will work in Master Product V2 or will need a whole new contribution!

chris

I installed Master Slave, it does everything I need. however, I have a few questions.

First,

Is there an add-on or different contrib. out there that is known to work well with M/S products that I can use to add product easier? Adding Master and Slave is time consuming.

Second,

What does the total slave show up in the categories? When I have 1 master and six slave, it show up as 6 slave in categories. When I click on the subcategories, it only have one product. does it possible to hide slave number?

Any Idea?

Thanks in advance.

Clee,

This is an easy fix. Open /catalog/includes/boxes/categories.php and edit the following 2 lines of code..

About line 42 change the line that reads

$categories_string .= '->';

to

$categories_string .= '';

and then around line 50 change the line that reads

$categories_string .= ' (' . $products_in_category . ')';

to

That should fix the problem you are having. As well, the -&gt refers to the caret before the number, the second change provides the (number)

later!

Colin

First,

Second,

Any Idea?

Thanks in advance.

I uploaded a version of ther easypopulate contribution for master products look for it in the contributions section on the easypopulate page

and then around line 50 change the line that reads

$categories_string .= ' (' . $products_in_category . ')';

to

Setting admin > Configuration > My Store > Display Product Counts to false would have the same effect and is more efficient (product counts are hard on the database in larger stores).

Hth,

Matt

Edited by ecartz

Always back up before making changes.

Hi

As I am still 'learning' OsCommerce I decided the simplest way forward was to create a new shop - because I was using CVS

The contribution installed easily and seems to be working. However it isn't doing what I thought it would and after reading through the 22 pages of support notes here I realise its not designed to do so.

However, I'd like to give some feedback to functionality that would be useful - and to see if this could be modified to do what I want.

My master product is a 'starter kit' which comes with 2 packs of nappies and 3 waterproof outers - at a price which is cheaper than buying the individual items. At the moment when the customer clicks Buy Now on a Starter Pack they get a list at the bottom to choose how many packs of nappies and how many wraps. When they add them to the cart its obviously at full price. Also, they can choose any number of items whereas I would like it to say 2 and 3 respectively.

What I'd like it to do is that if the customer orders the Starter Pack one line item is added to their cart - the Starter Pack at its price - but the system removes the slave items from stock - so I guess somewhere I would need to be able to define how many of each slave item makes up a master item.

I am playing with having a 'Starter Pack Discount' product within the Starter Pack Master so that I can instruct the customer to add 2 x Nappies, 3 x Wraps and 1 x Discount - but that's very cumbersome for them - and they are bound to get it wrong!

Any ideas as to how to achieve this 'bundling discount' with currently available contributions?

Christine

That's exactly what I'm after Christine. I think this issue is planned to be addressed in version 2 of Master Products, as far as I'm aware there are no other contributions that will do.

I'm having a play with the code myself but seeing as I'm new to PHP and OSC it will probably take a while!

chris

I'm working on the following concept; my PHP and knowledge of OSC is still young so it will take a few weeks....

Add a field into the products information (eg "bundle_contents")

Insert into this field a string containing the codes for the subproducts (eg "23&45&65&111"). I'm not sure what delimiter would be best at this point.

When the product is displayed, PHP checks to see if the product has data in this field. If data exists, it prints a simple list of bundle contents in the product info part.

This list may be extended to include a "saving" figure if I can get it to calculate the total cost of the contents and compare with the product price.

No other changes are made until "callback" after order (I have not found this file yet). This file will check each product for bundle_contents before updating stock.

If bundle_contents contains bundle data (product contains others) then it will expand and update the stock of each subproduct.

If anybody sees any flaws or suggestions please submit here, or email me. If I can get it to work it may be worth a new contribution as it is a different approach to "Master Product"

chris

Hiya,

First of all - this contribution is really working great and I love it! :)

However, I am in need of adding more than one image to some of my products. I have tested a few other contribs, but they all only work with my slave products. It seems that I have to add most of the code to the Master parts of categories.php, but I am not completely sure in how to do it.

Has any of you had any success with adding such a contribution together with Master Products?

Any help is really appreciated! :)

Thank you,

Jesper

However, I am in need of adding more than one image to some of my products. I have tested a few other contribs, but they all only work with my slave products. It seems that I have to add most of the code to the Master parts of categories.php, but I am not completely sure in how to do it.

Hi again,

Just wanted to let anyone else looking for the solution that MoPics and Dynamic MoPics seems to do the trick.

I've installed Dynamic MoPics and it looks very promising :)

/Jesper

1) We are having a problem with the Master product not showing an "Add to Shopping Cart" button on the detailed page for that product. Am I doing something wrong here? I have tried it with slaves, without slaves, both the slave & master hidden together & seperatly.

2) With the slave hidden or shown it still does not show up under the master that we set it to.

3) On the main Categories page upon clicking on the Buy Now! button for the Master product it just takes you to the detailed page for that master product. It does not add it to the shopping cart like a normal product does. Is this how it is supposed to work or is it a bug?

4) What is the best way to use the "Products Master: (products_id)" feature? We have 5 different systems (masters) & each one uses the same exact slave except each system just has extra slaves. IE: System 1 has 1 slave, System 2 has 2 slaves & so on. I want to get a good id system going here. Any suggestions?

5) Are you/we able to have shoppers choose between 2 slaves? IE: Product A (master) comes with a Fork (slave1) or a Knife (slave2).

Knowledge is Power!

1) We are having a problem with the Master product not showing an "Add to Shopping Cart" button on the detailed page for that product. Am I doing something wrong here? I have tried it with slaves, without slaves, both the slave & master hidden together & seperatly.

Is there not a button at the bottom of the page?

2) With the slave hidden or shown it still does not show up under the master that we set it to.

Check the product quantity/status

3) On the main Categories page upon clicking on the Buy Now! button for the Master product it just takes you to the detailed page for that master product. It does not add it to the shopping cart like a normal product does. Is this how it is supposed to work or is it a bug?

Yes - this is how its supposed to work - the intention actually was to have it show a 'details' button instead - I just didn't have time as this is a pre-release and I am very busy - I shall post how to do this tonight.

4) What is the best way to use the "Products Master: (products_id)" feature? We have 5 different systems (masters) & each one uses the same exact slave except each system just has extra slaves. IE: System 1 has 1 slave, System 2 has 2 slaves & so on. I want to get a good id system going here. Any suggestions?

The current release doesn't handle multiple Master-Slave relationships at present - this is something being worked on for the next release.

5) Are you/we able to have shoppers choose between 2 slaves? IE: Product A (master) comes with a Fork (slave1) or a Knife (slave2).

Yes.

Matti

ccc

Matti,

I know how busy you are, but have you ever documented the changes to each of the files. I have loaded you Master_Products before on a almost virgin oOSC MS2 and it worked great for me. But when I loaded USPS Methods on top of yours it totally blew up the test site with so many errors I couldn't eliminate all of them. Granted a total newbie mistake. I should have compared like files before doing that. My active site is up and running fine but it has the USPS contribution active with some small mods of mine. And I sure would like to get Master_Products up and running. What if any suggestions can you give that might help me get to that end.

Thanks

All of the files are cake, except /admin/categories.php

That file took me about 45 minutes but only because I'm running about 15-20 different mods and I had to go line by line :) Just take your time and make sure you search for 'master' in each of Matti's files.. I nailed it first time (thank God)!