• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Banner Manager: MS2

inetchoices

Howdy all :-)

I tried to insert a new banner into the Banner Manager, but I couldn't get the new banner to load. So I deleted the default osCommerce banner entry (I didn't delete the image) and now when I try to go into the Banner Manager in Admin it tells me that it can't find http://www.tubbytabbygifts.com/foo/banner_manager.php because the server www.tubbytabbygifts.com could not be found.

This is rather odd considering the rest of the site works great.

Can someone explain to me what I broke and how to fix it? <<I'm php stupid so detail in a response is important>>

Thanks in advance,

Khim~

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup :-)

Hrm :-(

No answers?

Did I post this question in the wrong place?

Any suggestions on where I should post this question if it doesn't belong in this forum?

::lost, desperate look::

Khim~

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup :-)

Can someone please help me fix my banner manager?

I deleted the osCommerce banner (stupid), because the other banner wasn't showing up when I put in the info.

Is there a way to fix this? Bear?? Anyone?? Help?

Khim~

Thanks for trying to help, symphonygirl :-)

Unfortunately, I'm not really missing any files, what I'm missing is whatever information I deleted when I deleted the osCommerce banner from Banner Manager in admin.

After deleting that information (which is probably connected in some way to mysql), the Banner Manager will not load but instead reports that the server www.tubbytabbygifts.com can not be found.

But my site is running. Admin is running. The only thing that is br0ken is Banner Manager.

I have no idea how to fix this and I don't want to reinstall my shop - again :(

Khim~

Okay, I want to be clear on this. You were in the Banner Manager part of the admin system and where it lists the entries for the banners, you deleted the entry via the admin system, right? Now, when you click the New Banner button it says it can't find http://www.tubbytabbygifts.com/foo/banner_manager.php., and won't allow you to enter a new banner? I may be restating the obvious, but sometimes that helps (well, helps me anyway).

You were in the Banner Manager part of the admin system and where it lists the entries for the banners, you deleted the entry via the admin system, right?? Now, when you click the New Banner button it says it can't find http://www.tubbytabbygifts.com/foo/banner_manager.php., and won't allow you to enter a new banner?? I may be restating the obvious, but sometimes that helps (well, helps me anyway).

Well, almost:

If I click on Banner Manager in Admin - > Tools -> Banner Manager, then I get the error that the server www.tubbytabbygifts.com can not be found.

The banner manager will not load. I just get a blank web page with a pop up window with the error that it couldn't find the server.

Everything else in admin works. My shop site works. But somehow, Banner Manager lost its brain and refuses to function.

Khim~

No :-) The path is not set to "foo". I just used "foo" as an example.

The path to admin is the same as everyone else's, basically. http://your.domain.com/admin/banner_manager.php

So I used /foo/ to replace /admin/ in my post just as an example.

Sorry for the confusion :-)

Khim~

PS. Since I didn't delete any php files but only an entry in the database, I have to assume that something in mysql is broken. But I don't understand how it broke nor how to fix it.

Ok... I guess I'm going to move over to installation and see if anyone there knows what I broke or how to fix this.

thanks for all of your help, symphonygirl! Much appreciated!!!

Khim~

inet, if you haven't fixed this issue yet, could you please post the exact text of the error you are getting. There could be a subtlety in there that might give a hint to the resolution. I can't offer much help right now, but I can look further into it in a few hours if you're still having problems.

Could not open the page ?http://www.tubbytabbygifts.com/admin/banner_manager.php? because Safari couldn?t connect to the server ?www.tubbytabbygifts.com?.

This is the error I get when I'm in Admin and I click on Tools->Banner Manager.

I get this error and the only thing that loads is half of the menu bar on the left side of admin.

I've tried it several browsers. I still get the same message.

I don't know what broke, but any help you can give, gaia, will be greatly appreciated.

Khim~

Oh please tell me that I'm not going to have to reinstall my working store to get the banner manager working again :(

Is there anyone out there who can tell me the specifics of how deleting the osc banner entry in Banner Manager ended up breaking Banner Manager completely?

anyone?

::says a little prayer that she doesn't have to reinstall her entire store with all of those mods and updates and products :( ::

Sorry took so long to get back to this.. and unfortunately, I can't give ya much. I'm stumped on this one. I just tried to recreate the issue, deleted the banner but kept the image... resulted in no adverse affects.

So, if you/re still having problems, here's a few more things to try:

When you get to one of the admin pages, click on tools and hover your mouse over the Banner Manager link. Check the url reference from your browser (usually on the bottom status bar) and make sure it shows what you expect it to show (i.e. http://blah.com/admin/banner_manager.php ).

If that looks cool and you still get the error, try right clicking on the banner manager link from the tools menu and choose copy shortcut to copy the url into your clipboard. Then paste the link into your browser address area and make sure it shows what it should. Then hit enter to try going directly to the banner manager page. You can even try typing it in if needed, cause there really is no reason you should get the same error if you try manually going to that page.

Anyway, there's a few more things to try to narrow things down. Hopefully you can get this worked out.

Dear Gaia:

I did what you suggested:

The url in admin does point to http://blah.com/admin/banner_manager.php

I copied the URL to the clip board and tried to load the page in another window and got the same error message.

I really must have broken something really well :-)

But what I borked... I just have no clue :(

But thank you for your help!

Khim~

Woohoo and Hoody Hoo!

I fixed my Banner Manager!!!

What I did was to go into my sql database with phpmyadmin and browse the "banner" entry. I then deleted the entry that was there and poof! Banner Manager works again in Admin!

I knew it had to be mysql related but being technically challanged I didn't know where to start looking!

Anyway, for all of you who delete the osc banner and break your banner manager, here's a fix ;-)

Khim~

Ok... no, it isn't fixed.

The group in the pull down tab is missing and if I try to put in a banner - it breaks again.

::sigh::

I'm never going to figure osc out :(

Khim~

I guess restoring the DB from a backup wasn't an option?

The group in the pull down tab is missing ...

not sure I'm following that one.

is it broken in the same way as before when you try and put in a banner again?

Gaia:

Yes. It is broken the same way as before when I try to add a banner.

Only difference now is that there is nothing listed under groups in the pull down menu.

I wish I new where to add the information back into the database and what information I need to add. *Note to Self* "Self? NEVER remove the OSC banner!!!"

:-(

Khim~

Well, I thought I had it fixed - but no cigar.

Here is what has happened thus far:

1. I was able to get the Admin-> Banner Manager page to load by deleting the record that was in the db.

2. I then added the osc banner info back into the database using the default information from my test_db. Ok.. that worked.

3. When I tried to add another banner, instead of auto-incrementing the banner_id as 2, it placed it as 7 (the number of attempts I've tried to add/remove banners) with the status set to 0.

4. So in phpmyadmin, I set the status of my new banner to 1 (same as osc banner).

5. All appeared to work for about 8 minutes, and then - it broke :(

6. I tried resetting the auto-increment in phymyadmin to start the next banner at 2 (after deleting the banner I added). Banner Manager did not like this and now will not come out and play with me (fair weathered friend!).

So here I am, back at square one. I have Banner Manager loading in admin, but if I try to add any banners - it breaks.

Anyone a phpmyadmin/sql guru who has any clue on how I fix this little mess I've created?

The Banner Manager is important to me. I feature banners of friends who have helped me along the way so that they can maybe get some free traffic to their sites. I don't use it for any kind of pay per click thing, just a professional courtesy to folks who help :-)

So .. um... Help? <G>

Khim~

Archived