• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Basic Template System

Hi

I have downloaded the Basic Template System Contribution, and have succesfully installed it. It runs the website with no problems at all and I have been customising the pages a little myself, but cant really understand exactly what it is I am supposed to be doing....

I also tried the Simple Template System, which basically allows you to fully write a layout in HTML and just place tags in the correct places for the page to display what you need it to display.

Is that a similar thing to what the basic template system does, and if so does anyone have a list of what the tags are, and what tags relate to what piece of the page?

If you cant answer the questions above directly, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I know a tiny little bit about PHP, so please take it easy.

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I also tried the Simple Template System, which basically allows you to fully write a layout in HTML and just place tags in the correct places for the page to display what you need it to display.

Is that a similar thing to what the basic template system does, and if so does anyone have a list of what the tags are, and what tags relate to what piece of the page?

It is simular, but the BTS does not use tags. If you write a new HTML page for "templates/main_page.tpl.php" for example, you will have to add some PHP code to make it display the data.

Anywhere you like (as long it stays a valid page of course) you can insert this

<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'column_left.php'); ?>

to include the left column for example.

<?php
 if (isset($content_template)) {
   require(DIR_WS_CONTENT . $content_template);
 } else {
   require(DIR_WS_CONTENT . $content . '.tpl.php');
 }
?>

includes the "middle" content for all pages.

• edit "templates/main_page.tpl.php" to change the main layout of all pages
  • edit "templates/box.tpl.php" to change the look of all small boxes (you can also easily create separate templates for each individual small box if you like)
  • edit the files in "templates/content" to change the "middle" content of each page.

I am not sure what the STS does, but I think the BTS is more flexible, you can change every aspect of (almost) every page using the template files. I don't think this is possible if you use the STS, please tell me if I am wrong.

To use the BTS fully you will have use some PHP, but you don't really have to know PHP for most purposes, all needed PHP is already in the included template files. You can cut and paste it if you like and write your HTML around the existing PHP.

Hope this helps a little :)

PM me if you are interested in the developement of template files for osC and the BTS. We are working on a new contribution for osC, which includes a new version of the BTS and some nice templates. Still a lot to do though so don't expect an "out of the box" solution yet.

Edited by paulm2003

Some nice template designs would be good. Atleast something I could learn from.

I would like to see an example of a working site that has used the BTS to modify the look and feel of the site. Then I would like to see what the actual code looks like. In other words, I would like to see how the "template html" is integrated in the .tpl.php files themselves.

Does anyone have an example I could learn from????? (asap would be nice :) )

THANKS A BUNCH!!!