• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] UPS XML Tracking

heliosquare

OK I have ran into a problem for some reason. I used heliosquare's webpage as an example. I went to his tracking page here:

http://www.frigidfluidco.com/tracking.php

Then entered this number 1z7285771210030731

No information was returned. But when I go here

http://www.hightechthings.com/tracking.php

And enter the same number 1z7285771210030731 I get the error that was described here earlier.

I have all the latest updates. Does anyone know why this is happening? Do I need to go back to a previous file in the contribution section? Any help with this will be appreciated.

Thanks

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I have ran into a problem for some reason.  I used heliosquare's webpage as an example.  I went to his tracking page here:

http://www.frigidfluidco.com/tracking.php

Then entered this number 1z7285771210030731

No information was returned.  But when I go here

http://www.hightechthings.com/tracking.php

And enter the same number 1z7285771210030731 I get the error that was described here earlier.

I have all the latest updates.  Does anyone know why this is happening?  Do I need to go back to a previous file in the contribution section?  Any help with this will be appreciated.

Thanks

This situation is a perfect example of why the callback function needs to stay in the code for certain tracking numbers. Read a few posts back regarding the position of the ob_start(); call and the blank-screen bug.

The reason that tracking code does not work on my site is b/c I currently have the line of code calling the callback function commented out. hightechthings.com does not have the callback function commented out which is why a result is returned. The result is all screwed up but that is a UPS issue and is completely out of my control. The data returned from UPS comes from all over the place and certain situations (tracking numbers) require the code to "retry" the request using different information (hence the callback function). Sometimes the results from UPS are clean and sometimes they aren't. The results will always work just fine on UPS's site b/c they aren't using the same technology.

You can tell whether the callback function has been triggered because the url in the browser address bar will contain "c=1" if it has.

So, to answer your question, you don't need to revert back to another version of the code. I need to figure out how to make the output buffering and the error messages co-exist, but valid tracking codes will still work in the meantime. Ultimately the biggest obstacle is waiting for UPS to fix their systems so that they send consistent xml results sets back from every tracking code...

Do you ship UPS?

Give your customers order tracking without leaving your site. Track multi-package shipments. XML, cURL

Download the contribution here:

UPS Tracking

Thanks Steve, I will just comment that line out and will monitor this to see when UPS gets there act together ;). I will just add a line to the error afterwards with a link directly to the ups site for them to enter it there. Or a redirect? Maybe implement something like that for the time being until UPS resolves its issues? Just thinking out loud.

Thanks again

the person that logs into the admin section of your site and retrieves an order is the one responsible for inputting the tracking code for that order. As long as the tracking code entered is valid then there shouldn't be any errors to begin with because the customer just clicks a link on their order history page to track the order (no input required). The potential for errors arises when the manual tracking page is used and a visitor on your site enters their own code. I guess it's up to you to decide how to deal with any errors in those cases but in my mind users are probably not using that page very often...

Do you ship UPS?

Give your customers order tracking without leaving your site. Track multi-package shipments. XML, cURL

UPS Tracking

Ok you lost me a bit. If this same tracking number is entered at the ups website, everything works. If its used at a website with this added contribution, it doesn't work right due to the UPS end. Your telling me if I added this same tracking code through the admin end and then clicked it through the account page it would work? Maybe I misunderstood you.

If we were talking face to face this would be much easier to express...

If the callback function is turned off and the tracking code you provided is entered then the page will display the "no tracking info. available..." error. This really isn't the "right" error message b/c it doesn't describe what is really going on. It just happens to be the error message my code kicks out because it recognized that the tracking code is valid it just doesn't have any results to display. You wouldn't really want a redirect every time the "no tracking info. available" error occurs b/c it would then redirect to UPS even when the error IS the right error. Hope that makes sense. Here's a real-world example:

1. My store gets an order at noon (our daily pickup from UPS isn't until 2:30)

2. I use UPS WorldShip software to generate the package labels and tracking code

3. I enter the tracking code into the order screen in Admin

4. User receives e-mail and right away logs into account and clicks the Track button

5. UPS will recognize the tracking code as being valid but since the package hasn't been picked up and scanned yet there is no data to send back in the response

In this situation the tracking page will display the "no tracking info. available" error and that is what is supposed to happen b/c there is no info. available yet. You wouldn't want to redirect to UPS's site in this case b/c the same result will be given.

There are a handful of other potential errors like "invaild tracking code length" and others. It is these errors that would be eliminated if the person entering the codes on the orders page was careful to enter valid codes. That is what I was alluding to in my last post. The problem with the callback function and output buffering is that when it is on none of the errors are displayed. If output buffering is on and is using the callback function and you enter a tracking code even 1 digit short you will get a blank screen. That is the issue I need to resolve and it has me stumped at the moment.

I realize I am rambling but I'm trying to do about 6 thing at once at the moment...

Edited by heliosquare

Do you ship UPS?

UPS Tracking

I don't understand it...........Everything was working perfect now whenever i try to track something in catalog/tracking.php, it doesn't do anything but "refresh". I looked at the earlier contribution regarding the curl compilation:

curl

CURL support enabled

CURL Information libcurl/7.12.1 OpenSSL/0.9.7a zlib/1.1.4

Is that right?

Anyway I checked to make sure i didn't accidentally overwrite my includes/classes/tracking.php.....nope; turned on error reporting..... no errors reported; don't know what the hell is wrong. I even recompiled apache and php with curl to make sure it wasn't this client's server. You can try to track at

www.obriensk9supply.com/catalog/tracking.php

Error reporting is ON cause i uncommented the line after overwriting all the install files minus oscommerce core files which i checked to make sure the contribution edits existed in each file. This has to be something to do with my server. I'm at a loss.

l3ean,

Just tracked a package on your site and got valid results back. If you enter an invalid tracking code you will get blank results...see this post for details

Do you ship UPS?

UPS Tracking

Hello Heliosquare,

I have reintalled the new update but I think there seems to be a problem with the tracking.php page in the catalog side. I am now using STS and all I get is a blank page with that, but if I put the earliest tracking.php it works fine. I did a comparison between them and there have being great changes. Is there anyway to confirm which changes were made in that page? I also noticed that the look is very different. I kind of like the look where it has the information then the place to track the package....

Thanks for such great contribution,

Dark

I tried the code, 1Zy0w9600342141146 on the UPS site and it works..so it is a valid tracking number.. however on my site, or any other site listed in this thread it does not work. However, this code: 1Z6107920342378355, works for both. What would cause this inconsistency?

Edited by Parrotman

I tried the code, 1Zy0w9600342141146 on the UPS site and it works..so it is a valid tracking number.. however on my site, or any other site listed in this thread it does not work. However, this code: 1Z6107920342378355, works for both.? What would cause this inconsistency?

Parrotman,

It DOES work on my Client's Site using the classes/tracking.php in the recent update I posted HERE. The results were:

View Tracking Summary? 

To see a detailed report for this shipment, please select the "Detail" link.

? ? 

Tracking Number

Status

Delivery Information

? ? 

1Z6107920342378355

Delivered

Delivered on:?  11/26/2004 10:11 AM

Signed by:?  CLARKTONNC28433USMMREAR DOOR

Shipped to:?  CLARKTON, NC

Service Type:?  GROUND

Multiple Packages:?  2?

Tracking results provided by UPS: Friday 17 December, 2004 5:47 PM Eastern

NOTICE: UPS authorizes you to use UPS tracking systems solely to track shipments tendered by or for you to UPS for delivery and for no other purpose. Any other use of UPS tracking systems and information is strictly prohibited.

Edited by l3ean

Parrotman,

It DOES work on my Client's Site using the classes/tracking.php in the recent update I posted HERE. The results were:

sorry for the confusion...but I'm talking about the first number i mentioned:

1Zy0w9600342141146

which only works on the UPS site

the other number that I mentioned was what you tested...and that works for all sites.

• 3 weeks later...

UPS XML Tracking, This code actually works...quite well!

UPS XML Tracking, This code actually works...quite well!

I used this and now my site gives this error!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Warning: mysql_connect(): Too many connections in /usr/local/psa/home/vhosts/meuroparts.com/httpsdocs/catalog/includes/functions/database.php on line 19

Unable to connect to database server!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Why is this happening????

Pleasehelp

Happy Holidays!

James D. Nazario

M Europarts

• 1 month later...

Hey Parrotman did you ever figure out your problem? I am having the exact same issue on my site. The two numbers that you posted only the second one works, and brings back results from UPS. I have installed l3ean's latest install and am not able to track certain UPS WorldShip tracking numbers, others work just fine.

Let me know if you were able to fix.

sorry for the confusion...but I'm talking about the first number i mentioned:

1Zy0w9600342141146

which only works on the UPS site

the other number that I mentioned was what you tested...and that works for all sites.

It seems like we are all having the same problem. I am tring to track UPS WorldShip tracking numbers and they do not show up. I tried the two tracking numbers that Parrotman used on your clients site and it did not track the one that he was having problems with nor did it track mine. Let us know if there is a resolution please.

Parrotman,

Is there any kind of commonality between the numbers that aren't working? The tracking code parrotman posted that only worked on UPS's site seems kinda strange to me (1Zy0w9600342141146) as even UPS's site doesn't show any "movement" activity. All it shows is one location (ADDISON, IL) but the ultimate destination was NAPERVILLE, IL Normally the final destination city is shown in the Package Progress section along with 'DELIVERED' under Activity (as opposed to 'DELIVERY') Not really sure what is going on with that one.

We use WorldShip to ship all of our packages and I haven't had any problems with any of the codes generated by that software. It really shouldn't matter where the codes come from (WorldShip, web, UPS store) as long as they are in the system (after end of day is performed in WorldShip and driver scans the packages and end of day label)

Issues concerning random tracking codes really need to be brought up with UPS directly to find adequate answers (well sometimes one can find adequate answers after jumping through a hellacious series of hoops). I, for one, am done dealing with UPS tech. support regarding this contribution. If you want to ask them a question go here:

UPS Tech Support

Do you ship UPS?

UPS Tracking

I agree UPS support does not seem to really help at all they are very vague in their andswers and requests for more info. I still find it odd that I can put in tracking numbers for different sources and sometimes get results and sometimes not. So you are using Worldship and getting results back using your tracking numbers, and you use this XML feed? That is at leased reassuring. What is your site that you have it working on? I would love to see if it tracks any of my worldship tracking numbers.

So you are using Worldship and getting results back using your tracking numbers, and you use this XML feed? That is at leased reassuring. What is your site that you have it working on? I would love to see if it tracks any of my worldship tracking numbers.

I use WorldShip and I wrote this XML feed ;)

My site should be accessible by clicking my card...can you post one of the WorldShip numbers that isn't working?

Do you ship UPS?

UPS Tracking

I use WorldShip and I wrote this XML feed  ;)

My site should be accessible by clicking my card...can you post one of the WorldShip numbers that isn't working?

Site looks great!

I tried to use one of the worldship tracking numbers and checked it on your site and it broght back an error.

"151044 : No tracking information available

The code may not be in the UPS system yet. Please try again later."

When I go to UPS I track it and it brings back correct results. On my site I do not get an error message at all if just returns a page with nothing under the tracking box.

Here is the tracking number that I am using : 1zat52760341049116

i would love it if you are able to help get this working, thanks for your help.

Edited by phillipsmind

I use WorldShip and I wrote this XML feed  ;)

Looks like we may have the issue resolved. The client upgraded their UPS Worldship account and all past tracking numbers do not work in the system and bring back an error result, or no data on my site. All of the new tracking numbers generated by worldship seem to work now.

Can you let me know how you are getting the error screan info to pass when you are input a wrong tracking number? my system just displays a blank page.

Looks like we may have the issue resolved. The client upgraded their UPS Worldship account and all past tracking numbers do not work in the system and bring back an error result, or no data on my site. All of the new tracking numbers generated by worldship seem to work now.

Can you let me know how you are getting the error screan info to pass when you are input a wrong tracking number? my system just displays a blank page.

Perhaps those numbers were in a system that isn't accessible to the UPS XML API...

The fact that you aren't seeing the errors has to do with the output buffering (I thought these changes were in the most recent downloadable?) Make the following changes:

/classes/tracking.php

comment out the following 2 lines:

ob_start('postOutput'); (should be near the top)

ob_end_flush(); (at very bottom)

/tracking.php

add the following 2 lines:

ob_start(); (add this at very top of file after first <?php tag)

ob_end_flush(); (add this a very bottom of file before last ?> tag)

Those changes should make the code buffer the errors properly and display them on the screen.

Do you ship UPS?

UPS Tracking

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Steve:

I am totally new with Oscommerce can you please help me to check if something went wrong with my UPS tracking Setting. I just follow the insturction replace every file from Contribution expect stylesheet.css I just add the content paste to the previous one. I also reconfig the tracking.php enter username and passwrod , access key. but the UPS tracking just seem doesn't work on my site could you please tell me if I miss some steps or can you check my website.

www.ezpuzzle.com Thank you very much ~~ Any help will be highly appreciated.

look at the browser source of your tracking.php page and you will see that it is completing. The html is cut off right at the point where it should be including /classes/tracking.php

Make sure you have a copy of tracking.php in your classes directory...

Do you ship UPS?

UPS Tracking

look at the browser source of your tracking.php page and you will see that it is completing.  The html is cut off right at the point where it should be including /classes/tracking.php

Make sure you have a copy of tracking.php in your classes directory...

Hello Steve:

I am pretty sure that I have tracking.php in my include/classes/tracking.php I think there must be something that I setup wrong

I even use the brand new oscommerce and add the UPS Tracking moudle it just happened the same things ~~ ~~ I really don't know what step I went wrong can you give me more advises ?? Thank you so much ~

Hello Steve:

I am pretty sure that I have tracking.php in my include/classes/tracking.php

Not to sound rude but what does this mean? Either you do or you don't. Can you post the contents of /catalog/tracking.php here? Please be sure to use the

tags when you do...

Do you ship UPS?

UPS Tracking