• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

STS OR BTS

Out of the simple template system and the basic template system which is the best to use and why?

I have to implement a design and I have decided to use one of these mods to help it along, the design is very different from the standard OSC look and only has a left column, navigation in the header and each product on the main page is in like a bubble, so which one should I use?

your thoughts

I favor BTS more because its closer to a true template system. STS relies more on parsing through your template file every time you display a page, inserting the osc code in the spots you designate. There are weaknesses in that which include more processing serverside. I don't think there have been any disussions about this and I'd like to see what other people think.

BTS is more of a true template system because it takes the default osc layout code and puts into a template folder. I think it will be fairly close to what the template system will be for Milestone Release 3. The other advantage is that you will have more control on a per page level. STS will be supporting this soon and it requires less files to install so they both have their advantages. I don't think that BTS has any real disadvantages though. I would consider BTS a more solid solution to templates for osc while STS more of a plugin.

People seem to be very happy with both as I've been following both threads and have used both myself. I decided to go with BTS though.

does this system allow you to include certain features?

E.G

The ability to take out a certain category and put it on your page?

yet allow another user to see the full shop...

basically an includes idea...

I've been trying to find one that lets me pull features from osc rather than having to design a page around the shop itself...

Ian Harvie

It won't be a nightmare for people who use either of these template mods. Especially the STS contribution. You're only editing 1 file for your layout! As far as waiting for an official template release that could be anywhere from 6 months to a year or longer.