• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

The Soultion to shared ssl problems!

eternity575

Hey everyone, after 4 hard days of trial and error, and head-bashing, code-reading... I have finally found a way to use the shared ssl enviroment with no problems whatsoever.

in your configure.php file just do the following

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog'); <-- this is supposed to be the full path of your catalog, if its in root.. leave it without the directroy.

define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'https://shared.sslserver.com/~username/catalog'); <-- yes.. not just the server but the whole address

define('ENABLE_SSL', true); // secure webserver for checkout procedure?

define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', 'www.yourdomain.com');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_DOMAIN', 'https://shared.sslserver.com');

define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '/');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_PATH', '/');

define('DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG', '/');

define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/');

works for me :) :) :)

Got a question for your solution:

Have you tried to make a test order? I mean, when you add an item under HTTP server, click CHECK OUT , then be redirected to SSL server. Does shopping cart remember the cart content ? Or it just go "0 item in the cart" ? And what is your setting for Sessions ? (under Admin control panel-->store configuration-->sessions) This is where I can't solve and start to consider buying a SSL certificate on myown.

Thanks for your help :P

hey meim8 :)

so many question for my little sore brain :)

BUT ILL HELP ..im RObin HOOD! rofl

ok, so, yes.. i did made a "trial" order... actually.. im using it for 2 days now, and got 3 orders until now.. no problems...(gave it a test run by all the family/relatives)

the shopping cart remembers all... and merges it with the visitors one..

when u checkout it goes into secure servers with no problems at all.

about the sessions, we will have to take it in icq,aim,or msn messenger.. and go one by one.. contact me and after we will solve it.. ill post the solution here for everyone.. :)

also, if anyone needs.. i found a place when i almost got desperate that gives a geosecure quickssl certificate for 25$.

but meimei.. DONT BUY IT (unless you want a cert)..

ill help ya!

just pm me and ill give ya my details..

bye m8!

This is my setting:

define('HTTP_SERVER', 'http://www.mydomain.com/shop'); // eg, http://localhost - should not be empty for productive servers

define('HTTPS_SERVER', 'https://www.sslcatacomb.com/~usrname'); // eg, https://localhost - should not be empty for productive servers

define('ENABLE_SSL', true); // secure webserver for checkout procedure?

define('HTTP_COOKIE_DOMAIN', 'www.mydomain.com');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_DOMAIN', 'https://www.sslcatacom.com');

define('HTTP_COOKIE_PATH', '/');

define('HTTPS_COOKIE_PATH', '/');

define('DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG', '/');

define('DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG', '/');

My problem still exists :( --cart content won't carry over to shared SSL server. Anyway, I deceide to spend some money for less work and gain customers' trust <-- just for the silly "smart seal" image ;) Thank you for your kindly help though. :D

About the $25 GeoTrust certificate you mentioned, is it provided byEV1Servers ?

That one is an incredible deal!! But unfortunately instantSSL package doesn't contain Smart Seal/Trust LOGO. I found one company called IPS CA, their price is not as cheap as that one, but fairly enough, it comes with the smart seal for $38/yr.

I also found this site useful :SSL Review :P

I installed my OSC at the first level (directly install) , I didn't creat another folder "shop" on shared SSL server. That's why my setting is like that. :)

My osc is located under the folder "shop" on HTTP server, and as to the SSL server, it is located at the top level. :ph34r:

ohhhh so its not just a shared ssl certificate, its on another machine?

ohhhh thats something else.. lol

hey m8..mayb eu know..im trying to figure out 2 things.. 1.. how do i change the header? 2. how can i change the encofing of the mails being sent by osc from left to right to rtl?

What do you mean by "change the header"? Here is the OSC site I am working on: My Webpage. Have a look then tell me if it's what you have in mind. I did most of the style change by editing the style sheet. As to (2), I have no idea ;) <---I am the queen of NEWBIEs :P

I guess the shared SSL server is located on another machine. Anyway, my SSL certificate is on the way :D

Add these at the begining of index.php

(under require('includes/application_top.php');)

require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/' . FILENAME_SPECIALS);

$breadcrumb->add(NAVBAR_TITLE, tep_href_link(FILENAME_SPECIALS));

then open catalog/special.php

copy the specials display area and replace the new products display area in the index.php file.

Hmmm....if you need, I can email you my index.php ( I have no idea how to explain :blink: )

About the header, you can edit the includes/header.php for display arrange. And open stylesheet.css, edit A.headerNavigation { xxxx} for all the link style, A.headerNavigation:hover {xxx} for the style when mouse moves over.

Below is my setting:

A.headerNavigation {

text-decoration:none;

font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;

font-size: 11px;

background: #F77B00;

color: #ffffff;

font-weight : bold;

WIDTH: 80PT;

line-height:16pt;

border-top-width: 1px;

border-right-width: 1px;

border-bottom-width: 1px;

border-left-width: 1px;

border-top-style: solid;

border-right-style: solid;

border-bottom-style: solid;

border-left-style: solid;

border-top-color: #FFBA75;

border-right-color: #CA6500;

border-bottom-color: #CA6500;

border-left-color: #FFBA75;

text-align: center;

}

A.headerNavigation:hover {

text-decoration:none;

background: #FF9B37;

border-top:1px solid #F77B00;

border-left:1px solid #F77B00;

border-right:1px solid #FFCE9D;

border-bottom:1px solid #FFCE9D;

color: #ffffff;

WIDTH: 80PT;

line-height:16pt;

text-align: center;

}

eternity575,

I read your post. I'm working on the same problem. Shared SSL Server. I think I've read every thread here for the last 3 or 4 days. And I'm still confused.

My host is Pair Networks. They say "Any files you wish to have accessed securely will need to be placed in the public_ssl folder". This is confusing to me. I don't want all my files on the secure sever.

Do I duplicate OScommerce in both public_html and public_ssl. ???

I would like anyones input that has worked through this..Please

Thanks

Doug

hey m8..

yeah.. u need to copy it twice.. although u can just trial&error if ur "space challanged" lol

try to remove one directory at a time and see what happens,,

i know its not a scientific method ..but hey.. it works for me :)

It really depends. Some people did get OSC work on shared SSL with no problem. But my hosting company doesn't have their own public SSL server,--they rent or partner with some other company. <-- my guess! (But for the price and awesome tech support, I stick with them :P )

I solved most of my problems by having my own SSL certificate. To me, I think it is worthy to pay more. After all, I only pay less than $3.00/month for my hosting plan and get 1GB space. :D

Well since my last message, I copied a set of files over to the public_ssl folder and seems to work fine with switching from unsecured to secured when needed based on program requirements.

I will purchase a certificate when I actually have the merchant account setup.

I am still interested in the difference in the requirements once I get the certificate. Such as the need to duplicate files in two folders.

Thank you for all your input. I am really impressed with OSC and the support from this forum.

Regards

listen m8...

i i use shared ssl but its on the same machine.. i get it for "free" as part of my hosting place which is 500 megs / 20 gigs of transfer

unlimited pop/mysql/ftp and a secure "place" that is actually the same machine..same space ..

so u dont need to cpy twice..

if its a fresh install, i think you need to consider changing hgost thats all..

but as meimei said.. if u got the dough, buy a cert.. im currently broke rofl

and..meimei.. can u pm me with your msn messenger, yim,aim,icq details? i want that index.php file

thnx!

eternity575

Would you please PM me your host. I would like to find out what the difference is between what I have and what your host offers. My secured and unsecured folders resides on the same server.

I'm a little surprised that the my host doesn't provide some type of system link back to the files in my public_html folder. Maybe it does, and I'm missing something. But various changes that I've to tried in my configure.php files don't provide the solution.

Thanks

I am having a simular issue to this.

First I would like to say. I added the code that is earlier in the topic and it did not fix my issue.

OK moving on. When people go to enter into my site they get a warning that the Cert name does not match the site name and that the user has not athorized this cert.

Any Idea on a way to fix this.

Charles

I'm a newbie working my way through this too...!

About the $25 GeoTrust certificate you mentioned, is it provided byEV1Servers ?

That one is an incredible deal!! But unfortunately instantSSL package doesn't contain Smart Seal/Trust LOGO. I found one company called IPS CA, their price is not as cheap as that one, but fairly enough, it comes with the smart seal for $38/yr.

Was IPS CA the lowest priced SSL certificate with a 'smart seal'?

I looked on IPS CA, no mention of Smart Seal ... have sent off email to ev1 to see if they do smart seal.

But I assume on your website, that is your smart seal. When I click it via mozilla 1.4, opera 7.2 & IE6 - the browsers come up as unable to verify as a trusted site :(.

Looking through the list of trusted sites, I see geotrust but not ipsca :( Hopefully they will add it into the next revision of the browsers.

So it could be that even though ev1's geotrust cert doesn't have a "smart seal", it shouldn't come up with a pop-up message. <_<

Any feedback from other people using ev1/geotrust ssl cert? :)

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I just wanted you to know that I've been working on this shared SSL thing and carrying items over from a "guest" cart to one that's signed in. I tried your suggestions at the beginning of this thread, and they worked, after a fashion. I think the difference was the paths in the cookie definition, although I don't know why.

Anyway, Thanks!

Don Fink

changing those settings on the first page worked great for me...However, after checkout, the person stays in secure mode, until they log off. I figured it would go back to regular mode after checkout. NOt a biggie, but like to have the shared ssl server in the address bar as short as possible

HI all,

I am joining your band wagon too. I have shared SSL and having the same problems as mentioned in above posts. i am able to login and i get into the secure mode, but when i start viewing products when i am logged in it seems to log me out. it's got to do with either my sessions or my cookies i am not sure where to start any help is most appreciate.

Archived