• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Links Manager for osC v1.00

VJ

Jack-

I was able to remove the columns. One last cosmetic question for you. The links page is aligned to the left and I can't figure out how to center it. Is there some code or a change I can make somewhere in the links.php file to center the page including my template structure.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

We still cannot get the "check links" section in the admin to work. My client adds the link on his site with the Reciprocal Page: url listed. He approves the listing in the admin and then clicks on check links and it says the link is not there on the reciprocal site which it is very clearly there.

The first time he check the links he got a page of these listings but neither one of us can duplicate them again:

Warning: fgets(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/httpd/vhosts/shadenthings.com/httpdocs/admin/links.php on line 531

and

Warning: fgets(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/httpd/vhosts/shadenthings.com/httpdocs/admin/links.php on line 530

These two lines in the admin/links.php page are these:

while (!feof($file)) {

$page_line = trim(fgets($file, 4096));

Now when either he or I click the check links we get:

Link Check Result: Not Found

Can someone please help?

Thanks!

Hi,

We still cannot get the "check links" section in the admin to work. My client adds the link on his site with the Reciprocal Page: url listed. He approves the listing in the admin and then clicks on check links and it says the link is not there on the reciprocal site which it is very clearly there.

The first time he check the links he got a page of these listings but neither one of us can duplicate them again:

Warning: fgets(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/httpd/vhosts/shadenthings.com/httpdocs/admin/links.php on line 531

and

Warning: fgets(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in /home/httpd/vhosts/shadenthings.com/httpdocs/admin/links.php on line 530

These two lines in the admin/links.php page are these:

while (!feof($file)) {

$page_line = trim(fgets($file, 4096));

Now when either he or I click the check links we get:

Can someone please help?

Thanks!

Sometimes you will get the "red x" indicating that the recip link doesn't exist if that site uses a database to manage it's link page. This is why it's a good idea to disable the click counter because some people make be reluctant to trade links with you because it doesn't help their serp too much. I would go to the site that you are sure has your recip link displayed and simply put your cursor over your link and see if it points to your site or a database. If it points to a datbase then that is why you get the x.

Hi,

This the info my client sent me:

Here is the page where my link is located on the www.petdoor.com web site

http://www.petdoors.com/links/kennelshadesandcovers.html

This is what I get in my admin of link manager

Check Link

http://www.petdoors.com/links/kennelshadesandcovers.html

I put my cursor over their link and it goes to www.shadenthings.com and not a database.

It's set up the way it needs to be on their site. So the problem must be with something your client is doing. I don't claim to be an expert so aside from checking to make sure you have the exact link that you posted in your message in the reciprocal link field on your clients admin panel I'm not sure what else you could do. based upon the error messages you also said you were getting perhaps it wasn't installed correctly.

Jack-I've been messing around with the alignment all afternoon. I removed the left and right columns but they left a blank phantom space because I don't know which tables to remove for each one. They're aren't many options but I can't seem to figure it out. Using my file on the previous page can you isolate the code I should remove to get rid of the phantom columns so I can adjust my alignment. Thanks!

The links.php file, as well as the links_sbumit.php and the links_submit_success.php files, need to be edited to fit your site if you don't have a standard format. To do that, make a copy of a page that works (usually privacy.php is a good choice). Replace everything in the copy between the

require('includes/application_top.php');

and the

first ?>

with the same section of code from the links.php file. Then replace everyting between the

<!-- body_text //-->

and the

<!-- body_text_eof //-->

Rename the file to links.php and it should work fine. Do the same for the other two files.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

The links.php file, as well as the links_sbumit.php and the links_submit_success.php files, need to be edited to fit your site if you don't have a standard format. To do that, make a copy of a page that works (usually privacy.php is a good choice). Replace everything in the copy between the
  require('includes/application_top.php');

and the

first ?>

with the same section of code from the links.php file. Then replace everyting between the

<!-- body_text //-->

and the

<!-- body_text_eof //-->

Rename the file to links.php and it should work fine. Do the same for the other two files.

Jack

Jack-

It worked like a charm! Thanks for all your help.

Anyone know how to get the "check links" function in the admin to work?

I just checked mine and it worked fine. The page went white for a few seconds while it tested the links.

Considering you don't really tamper with this file in the installation it's odd that it doesn't work. Perhaps you should compare the admin/links.php file in your store vs. the the stock file to see if there are any irregularies using a program like beyond compare or something. I bet if you removed it and reinstalled it you'd get it working.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

When I hit the check links button it checks most of the links and then I get this message:

2013 - Lost connection to MySQL server during query

select count(*) as total from sessions where sesskey = 'b9d9391c580e4aeeccd75e93ffda7ddc'

[TEP STOP]

Warning: Unknown(): A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time. in Unknown on line 0

Anybody know what is up?

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Hi all

When I hit the check links button it checks most of the links and then I get this message:

2013 - Lost connection to MySQL server during query

select count(*) as total from sessions where sesskey = 'b9d9391c580e4aeeccd75e93ffda7ddc'

[TEP STOP]

Warning: Unknown(): A session is active. You cannot change the session module's ini settings at this time. in Unknown on line 0

Anybody know what is up?

It probably means you have exceeded the time limit set by your host and the script was stopped. All servers have some kind of limit as to how long a script can run. If you have a lot of links, Links Manager cannot check them all before that limit is reached.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

It probably means you have exceeded the time limit set by your host and the script was stopped. All servers have some kind of limit as to how long a script can run. If you have a lot of links, Links Manager cannot check them all before that limit is reached.

Jack

I thought it was something like that. Funny though I have only 9 links posted so far.

Backup before making changes. Backup before making changes! Backup before making changes!!

You did do a backup? eh?

I thought it was something like that. Funny though I have only 9 links posted so far.

It could be these 9 links have mega links listed on the encapsulated page they have you on. If so it will take awhile to search thru, hence you may be getting the server timing out. Look at some of the pages that your link is on (use the edit button, highlight the reciprocal link cell and paste it in your browser. If the page looks good (not a ton of links farmed together) try highlighting a single link in your Links Mgr Admin, then in the upper right buttons click "check link" If this works... try a small group working yor way up. If you time out too fast still... contact your hosting Co. and indicate your problem so they can adjust this TO for you.

By the way..... IF your link is (are) on a page that has hundreds of links there's a good posibility that it (your link) is plain worthless in regards to a SE. Some SE's will ignore large listings and usually 50 and under (per page) is a sure safehouse. I always look to see if the page has any PR, also if it is in a frame. No offense to the online poker guys & men's health etc. BUT I avoid those as they are potential SE penalties! If you have those (dime a dozen links) as outlinks from your site your sure to lose algo weight. Keep your links concentrated to your site and watch your product listings go up! I really mean this... up!!

Good luck!

KJ

define('PROJECTS', 'Something that goes on forever!');

OK I want to add to my above post as a testimonial piece to this Links Mgr.

Before I installed this contrib (yes way before Jack tweeked it to it's now awesome existance)...

My index page PR was a 4, now 5 and sometimes a 6.

I had zero keywords in the top 10 pages of google, heck I don't think many were in the top 100!

Through many SEO articles I knew I needed backlinks from PR link pages (PR3+ link pages are nice) sites. NOTICE I said link pages and not their index page!

MY link page directory was PR0, the links pages were then of course 0.

SINCE Links Mgr......

My Links Directory Page is a PR4 and the links pages are all PR3, yes if your are on my links pages you will get listed as a backlink in Google! Good webmasters know this and want on... you have to be selective however!

My Key Keywords for: Go Karts R us (site)

Go Carts

Go-Carts

Go-Karts

Go Karts

Manco (with above kw)

Freedom Scooter

BMX ATV

and many more........ are all either are No 1 or 2 overall in Ggl. Google them if you don't believe me. The site has concentrated alot to do all aspects of SEO but a "key" part was (is) this links mgr.

The above is not any type of bragging, it is simply to help others in knowing the importance to using this great contrib efficiently. Heck anybody can get junk links and the SE's know this!

AWESOME Contrib, many thanks go out to Jack!!

--KJ

Edited by Top_Speed

define('PROJECTS', 'Something that goes on forever!');

It could be these 9 links have mega links listed on the encapsulated page they have you on. If so it will take awhile to search thru, hence you may be getting the server timing out. Look at some of the pages that your link is on (use the edit button, highlight the reciprocal link cell and paste it in your browser. If the page looks good (not a ton of links farmed together) try highlighting a single link in your Links Mgr Admin, then in the upper right buttons click "check link" If this works... try a small group working yor way up. If you time out too fast still... contact your hosting Co. and indicate your problem so they can adjust this TO for you.

By the way..... IF your link is (are) on a page that has hundreds of links there's a good posibility that it (your link) is plain worthless in regards to a SE. Some SE's will ignore large listings and usually 50 and under (per page) is a sure safehouse. I always look to see if the page has any PR, also if it is in a frame. No offense to the online poker guys & men's health etc. BUT I avoid those as they are potential SE penalties! If you have those (dime a dozen links) as outlinks from your site your sure to lose algo weight. Keep your links concentrated to your site and watch your product listings go up! I really mean this... up!!

Good luck!

KJ

Thanks a lot great advice!!

You did do a backup? eh?

Almost everything seems to work good with contribution, but I have one problem.

I only have 8 links at present and am adding a selected few as they come in. When I use the "check link" button for a single link, the reciprocal site is found or not found correctly. But when I use the "Check Links" button, the last addition is not checked (and of course not reported in my list). In other words, if I add another new listing, the one previously added is checked and reported, but the newest one is not (again!). No errors are reported.

It is probably how the query is written from the SQL table, but I'm not sure where to correct this in the file

http://mysite.com/admin/links.php?selected_box=links

Note: my "catalog" files are in my root.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hello,

I have been using the link manager for some time no.

Jack helped me setup the link from my index page directly to the ONLY category I whish to use in linking (category = 1)

However the link does not work anymore, the page will not load wityh path = 1 :

http://www.porteveil.com/catalog/links.php?lPath=1

http://www.porteveil.com/catalog/links.php?lPath=2

with the path = 2 no problem... What can be wrong?

TIA

Since it was working and only works now with a different path, the path to that links page must have changed. If you added a number of links, that could do it but since you only have one link, my guess is that the llinks category was deleted and a new one started, thus generating a different ID.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

for the life of me i cannot get rid of the ssl links_submit & success page. i removed all instances of ssl & changed it to nonssl... but now i get "even though this page is secured, you're submitting over a nonsecure connection, bla bla...."

has anyone achieved getting rid of the ssl for this contribution?

I just installed links manager and it looks and operates great. However I would like to change the way the linls.php is from columns to rows. Do I simply just change the word column to rows in the links.php file or what should I do.

Thanks for any help.

No matter how many links I have, "Check Links" (which checks All Links) in admin never checks the last entry. It always checks one less than the total number of links. How do I correct this?

Edited by Bali Hai