• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal doesn't generate an order

diggermagoo

I've been successfully getting payments and order through paypal on my site for sometime now, so far all have been domestic US.

However, two days ago I saw an order on my admin page, and received a confirmation call from the customer. The person resides in canada and the order information on my admin page says that no paypal information was included. being out of country I wanted to wait for a time to see if there is a delay in processing. but it's been 48 hours and still no IPN or other paypal messages.

Before I call the customer back is there anything I'm missing? This is the first international customer for my site.

thanks,

msc

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have your osC PayPal module (or your PayPal account) set to accept only US Dollars. In which case Canadian Dollars would not be accepted. Was the money deposited in your PayPal account? If not, then the order was not completed. Don't forget that the IPN module pre-saves people's shopping baskets before they are processed by PayPal, so orders which are not carried through to completion are still listed as orders 'pending'

Vger

I've been successfully getting payments and order through paypal on my site for sometime now, so far all have been domestic US.

However, two days ago I saw an order on my admin page, and received a confirmation call from the customer. The person resides in canada and the order information on my admin page says that no paypal information was included. being out of country I wanted to wait for a time to see if there is a delay in processing. but it's been 48 hours and still no IPN or other paypal messages.

Before I call the customer back is there anything I'm missing? This is the first international customer for my site.

thanks,

msc

Thanks for the confirmation. since posting i checked my configuration and found only USD and EUR is enabled. I received no paypal emails so so they did not get my transaction data.

I'm looking at the documentation now, but can you direct me to the info on how to add a currency.

thanks again

msc

Do you have your osC PayPal module (or your PayPal account) set to accept only US Dollars.  In which case Canadian Dollars would not be accepted.  Was the money deposited in your PayPal account?  If not, then the order was not completed.  Don't forget that the IPN module pre-saves people's shopping baskets before they are processed by PayPal, so orders which are not carried through to completion are still listed as orders 'pending'

Vger

On the 'admin' page which lists your currencies there is a button 'new currency'. Just give it a title, add the three letter code for the currency, fill in the other boxes and you're done.

Vger

On the 'admin' page which lists your currencies there is a button 'new currency'.  Just give it a title, add the three letter code for the currency, fill in the other boxes and you're done.

Vger

Thanks I did that, but I am at work and can not access my database to determine the 3 letter code for canada, i tried CAN but when I try the Update Currencies but get an error

Warning: The primary exchange rate server (oanda) failed for Canadian (CAN) - trying the secondary exchange rate server.

Error: The exchange rate for Canadian (CAN) was not updated via xe. Is it a valid currency code?

If I do not have the right code will paypal still reject?

I'll buy a round if you can tell me the 3 digit code.

yours,

msc

On the 'admin' page which lists your currencies there is a button 'new currency'.  Just give it a title, add the three letter code for the currency, fill in the other boxes and you're done.

Vger

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading and re-reading this topic for a paypal problems I'm having.

How do I get paypal to automatically return clients to my shopping cart to finish the order so the order will show up in the admin area and deduct the number ordered from the available quantity?

I am Canadian, and the majority of clients for this cart will be Canadian although there should be some US folks as well from time to time. At paypal, even though the funds on the cart are listed in CAD dollars, paypal coverts it to USD. Is there a way to fix this?

Susan

Go to your PayPal account and turn on the Auto-Return feature and people will be automatically returned to your site when they complete their transaction (not needed when using the IPN module which does this automatically) - and when people are returned the order details get sent to your database and admin panel and the order confirmation e-mails get fired off.

Vger

I've been reading and re-reading this topic for a paypal problems I'm having.

How do I get paypal to automatically return clients to my shopping cart to finish the order so the order will show up in the admin area and deduct the number ordered from the available quantity?

I am Canadian, and the majority of clients for this cart will be Canadian although there should be some US folks as well from time to time.  At paypal, even though the funds on the cart are listed in CAD dollars, paypal coverts it to USD.  Is there a way to fix this?

Susan

Go to your PayPal account and turn on the Auto-Return feature and people will be automatically returned to your site when they complete their transaction (not needed when using the IPN module which does this automatically) - and when people are returned the order details get sent to your database and admin panel and the order confirmation e-mails get fired off.

Vger

This is NOT always the case as the standard "finished!" page of the order form is highly misleading. I had a friend of my make a purchase using paypal and we conversed by phone as she went through the process. She was automatically returned to the site, however the page was congratulating her on her purchase. There was nothing in the standard text that instructed her on the importance of clicking that button to send the order info. She closed her browser because she was done as far as she knew. So even WITH the redirect from paypal to the site, people will mistakenly figure their part is complete.

Instead of installing all the code mentioned in this thread, there is another way to make sure you get your orders. On the payment page of the order form I have added the text "IMPORTANT: if paying by Paypal you will be redirected back to this website upon completion of your payment. Please do NOT close your browser after Paypal says your payment has been made. When you return here, please click the "Continue" button so that your order info is sent to me for processing."

Then, on the last page of the order form I have changed the heading text to read "Just One More Step and You Are Done!" with this for the paragraph below:

"You are almost done. When you click the blue continue button below, you order will be processed! That will send your order info to me by email."

It was the simplest fix I could think of without having to manipulate the code. And since I have made these changes I have not missed even ONE order email.

I think that everyone is trying to make the fix way too complicated. You underestimate the customer to think they won't follow simple instructions when it comes to spending money. :D

JMHO

~Signs

Vger

How to you do this?

Vger

Could you please explain how to do this? which file and how to add these text? can you post the codes?

many thanks!

Henry

This is NOT always the case as the standard "finished!" page of the order form is highly misleading. I had a friend of my make a purchase using paypal and we conversed by phone as she went through the process. She was automatically returned to the site, however the page was congratulating her on her purchase. There was nothing in the standard text that instructed her on the importance of clicking that button to send the order info. She closed her browser because she was done as far as she knew. So even WITH the redirect from paypal to the site, people will mistakenly figure their part is complete.

Instead of installing all the code mentioned in this thread, there is another way to make sure you get your orders. On the payment page of the order form I have added the text "IMPORTANT: if paying by Paypal you will be redirected back to this website upon completion of your payment. Please do NOT close your browser after Paypal says your payment has been made. When you return here, please click the "Continue" button so that your order info is sent to me for processing."

Then, on the last page of the order form I have changed the heading text to read "Just One More Step and You Are Done!" with this for the paragraph below:

"You are almost done. When you click the blue continue button below, you order will be processed! That will send your order info to me by email."

It was the simplest fix I could think of without having to manipulate the code. And since I have made these changes I have not missed even ONE order email.

I think that everyone is trying to make the fix way too complicated. You underestimate the customer to think they won't follow simple instructions when it comes to spending money.  :D

JMHO

~Signs

Could you please explain how to do this? which file and how to add these text? can you post the codes?

many thanks!

Henry

• 2 weeks later...

I found the page at PayPal to turn on Auto-Return (Profile - Selling Preferences - Website Payment Preferences), but it requires a return URL - which page do I enter here? Is it http://myshop.com/catalog/checkout_payment.php ?

Cheers

John

Vger

I found it! I used https://myshop.com/catalog/checkout_success.php (secure URL). This appears to work!

Next question however regarding the posting below, which file do I modify this way? is it the checkout_success.php in includes/languages/english/ ?

*SNIP*

*SNIP*

JMHO

~Signs

I am a super duper novice and completely lost...yes some day i will make it up the food chain of knowledge... I do not know how to place the php coding in and am afraid to do so. do i have to change any of the text to reflect my store componants? where do i upload it to edit the PHP. Just got my first order and ahhhhh here I am. thank you,

the rookie

• 3 weeks later...
Hi

A friend of mine added this coding to his paypal.php file, as him too didn't get the order details, but he is getting everything (order and money).  However, I have tested it as the buyer, and once on paypal I am asked to click "continue " (just after I get confirmation the payment has been successful),  I get the following error message:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by

(output started at

/home/mvtqkof/public_html/shop/includes/modules/payment/paypal.php:119) in

/home/mvtqkof/public_html/shop/includes/functions/general.php on line 28

I am not sure what to do to sort the problem (the website is www.specialfxskins.co.uk if you need to know ).

Your help would be much appreciated

thanks

Louis1st

What I did for paypal...

1. I used the paypal module that came with osc

2. signed into my paypal account, clicked on merchant tools then scrolled down to Auto Return, click on that.

3. make sure auto return is clicked "on"

4. put in the return url ie: http://mywebsite.com/checkout_success.php

that will send them back to your site whether they click continue or not and it will show them the correct page that says "thanks for your order...."

5. i suggest using the paypal optional, makes it easier for people

6. click save

then go into your websites admin area, instal the regular paypal module, enter all of your information and at the bottom have it set to 0

Haven't had one problem using paypal this way.

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

I am having this exact same problem. I posted on the "general support" site and no one has replied yet. Does anyone have a solution for this, please? PLEASE??

Hi

A friend of mine added this coding to his paypal.php file, as him too didn't get the order details, but he is getting everything (order and money).  However, I have tested it as the buyer, and once on paypal I am asked to click "continue " (just after I get confirmation the payment has been successful),  I get the following error message:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by

(output started at

/home/mvtqkof/public_html/shop/includes/modules/payment/paypal.php:119) in

/home/mvtqkof/public_html/shop/includes/functions/general.php on line 28

I am not sure what to do to sort the problem (the website is www.specialfxskins.co.uk if you need to know ).

Your help would be much appreciated

thanks

Louis1st

• 4 weeks later...
When a customer buys a product, he can pay with PayPal, and it all seems to work just fine and I get a payment notification from PayPal, but it does not generate anything in my "Orders" page in Admin so I have no way of knowing what they ordered, only the amount of the order (from the PayPal notification)

I am running into this same problem. I replaced code like it said at the top but the same thing is happening.

• 2 months later...

I found the Auto-Return on PayPal and I set it up to go to http://www.mysitename.com/catalog/checkout_success.php, however it doesn't work, at all. Paypal just sits on the final page asking the user if they want to save their info or go back to the merchant.

At least that's what happens when the person checkouts out as a non-paypal customer.

Does that affect it? Does it only work if they have a paypal account?

Thanks!

-- Josh

Archived