• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[contribution] Simple Template System (sts)

DiamondSea

Hi, I am just getting my site sorted. http://design.mmmboptastic.com using STS. I have it using the 'test' template instead of the 'full' one as I don't understand the 'full' one enough.

At the bottom I want to have my links (about, faq, links, contact etc) but I don't want to use the 'information' box (I found it impossible to add pages with that function!). Is there a way of doing this? So if someone clicks on 'About' it opens store.com/about.html (or .php) which is a page that has the 'about' information where $content usually is and then the other bits like 'account' etc where theyusually are.

I uploaded about.php to the root http://design.mmmboptastic.com/about.php but as you can see it doesn't work how I want it to.

Hope you understand what I'm trying to explain.

Thanks

Jo :)

Jo,

First of all, I would strongly suggest creating your new pages using my step by step "Adding New Pages using STS" add-on. You can download it from the STSv4 Power Pack site (a site dedicated to all STS add-ons).

A few tips on making links:

STS Link to a category:

<a href="<?php echo tep_href_link('index.php', 'cPath=21&', 'NONSSL'); ?>">Category Name Here</a>

STS Link to a product:

<a href="<?php echo tep_href_link('product_info.php', 'products_id=53&', 'NONSSL'); ?>">Product Name Here</a>

You can use the links above to create your menus.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Thankyou! That seems to have worked a treat :D http://design.mmmboptastic.com/about.php

So if I put:

<a href="<?php echo tep_href_link('index.php', 'cPath=21&', 'NONSSL'); ?>">Category Name Here</a>

and made it link to the 'Elegant category found @ http://design.mmmboptastic.com/index.php?cPath=21 would I put:

<a href="<?php echo tep_href_link('index.php', 'cPath=21&', 'NONSSL'); ?>">Elegant</a>

as the path=21 in the url?

The change the path on each category I want to link to?

Would that also work if I put an image instead of text to actually link with?

Using STS 4.5.8 and also the Ultimate SEO URl's v21.d contributions. Have beeen using STS for over 2 years with a high degree of success.

Added USU and it was a pretty painless install. Both seem to work great together whenever a script uses the tep_href_link function to build a link. No issues, has worked fine for several months.

Several infoboxes I have noticed, Manufacturerbox and Catmenubox specifically, use tep_draw_form and tep_draw_pull_down_menu to build the forms containing the manufacturer and catmenu boxes to be used as links. They aren't written to the html as 'regular' links but as selects and options inside of the form. So, USU does not conveert the url to a search engine friendly url and it does for 'normal urls.

These functions don't include the USU seo.class.php inside the html output script as tep_href_link was modified to do. So, the selected link out of one of these boxes does not have a modified url. But contains the standard style url.

People that use and support USU's are pretty unanimous in stating the the url's are converted when not using STS.

So am wondering if this is some sort of STS issue. Did quite a bit of searching, but haven't seen anything definitive.

In regarding this issue, one omission that I have found with STS v4.5.8 so far:

in the script /includes/modules/sts_inc/sts_user_code.php, the box build is as follows:

$sts->start_capture();

echo "\n<!-- Start Category Menu -->\n";

echo tep_draw_form('goto', FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'get', '');

echo tep_draw_pull_down_menu('cPath', tep_get_category_tree(), $current_category_id, 'onChange="this.form.submit();"');

echo "</form>\n";

echo "<!-- End Category Menu -->\n";

$sts->stop_capture('catmenu');

The use of tep_draw_form appears to be incomplete. Every other place I looked, it is structured as:

echo tep_draw_form('goto', tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT), 'get', '');

tep_href_link is included with the default filename, so that the full url appears in the action

parameter of the built form. the interesting thing is that clicking on a option in the box before this was added always took the user to the correct page, perhaps because the redirects in htaccess were compensating for the missing action?

In any case, this did not solve the problem of the url's not being converting by USU out of the form. Digging a bit deeper in the draw_form and draw_form_pull_down_menus, but still curious as to why an STS generated box functions differently than a direct link.

When I added that code to include/languages/english/index.php I just get an error........ so I removed it and it works again.

I want my front page to just have images which are links to each category. I thought I would have to do that in the english/index.php.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jo

Edited by joannemojo

When I added that code to include/languages/english/index.php I just get an error........ so I removed it and it works again.

I want my front page to just have images which are links to each category. I thought I would have to do that in the english/index.php.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jo

Jo, you should be adding your images in your template, not the actual php files.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Thanks Bill.

So I just delete the text (the text that used to be default 'welcome blah bah) completely?

How would it work then with the $content in the template? I have it as the middle cell of the table and it's where all the information appears. I am using test template folder not the full one.

I just want the first page to have the images working as the categories and then when someone clicks on it have it so the pages run as normal.

Thats the best way I can explain it.

If I add the images to the template in the middle cell surely it would appear on every page? I would have to make it separate to the cell with $content in it?

Thanks

Bob,

I think SEO Urls has issues with osCommerce forms to begin with. I don't see anything wrong with the STS catmenu as it is and there is no need to rig the htaccess file. It works out of the box.

With that said, the STS Drop Down Category Menu ($catmenu) is native to STS only (a stock osCommerce does not have this feature). If it does not work with your other added contribution, simply remove the tag from your template or continue to recode it to make it work with SEO URLs.

Here is something you could try:

Change:

To this:

echo tep_draw_form('goto', tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'get', ''):

Hope this helped,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Thanks Bill.

So I just delete the text (the text that used to be default 'welcome blah bah) completely?

How would it work then with the $content in the template? I have it as the middle cell of the table and it's where all the information appears. I am using test template folder not the full one.

I just want the first page to have the images working as the categories and then when someone clicks on it have it so the pages run as normal.

Thats the best way I can explain it.

If I add the images to the template in the middle cell surely it would appear on every page? I would have to make it separate to the cell with $content in it?

Thanks

Jo,

STS allows you to make a separate template page for your home page, category pages, product pages, etc.

Make your home template as so: index.php_0.html and add your images to it that you do not want to be viewed on the other pages.

Regarding the welcome guest string, it is as simple as modifying the catalog/index.php file.

Try this:

In catalog/index.php, find:

<td class="main"><?php echo tep_customer_greeting(); ?></td>

Change it to (comment it out):

<td class="main"><?php //echo tep_customer_greeting(); ?></td>

Now if you want to place the welcome string in your STS Template where you want the $greeting string (that is called in general.php) just add the following TO YOUR TEMPLATE PAGE:

Note: The above is within a table cell (td) so you can modify that to however you want.

Also: You will need to modify the HTML Table tags above to meet your needs in your template.

NOTE: Since version 4, STS Templates can now include PHP coding that is why I suggested commenting the tag in index.php and relocating it in your template if you wanted to. You could have also created a new STS tag for the welcome text in the sts_user_code.php file but it is just as easy to place it in your template directly.

Hope this was useful,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Bob,

I think SEO Urls has issues with osCommerce forms to begin with. I don't see anything wrong with the STS catmenu as it is and there is no need to rig the htaccess file. It works out of the box.

With that said, the STS Drop Down Category Menu ($catmenu) is native to STS only (a stock osCommerce does not have this feature). If it does not work with your other added contribution, simply remove the tag from your template or continue to recode it to make it work with SEO URLs.

Here is something you could try:

Change:

To this:

echo tep_draw_form('goto', tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'get', ''):

Hope this helped,

Bill,

I must not have been descriptive enough in my earlier message, once I noticed that draw_form in $catmenu was not following the standard of other draw_forms I saw throughout other scripts, I did change it to be in line with the other ones. It did not make any difference as far as the url's being converted. The only thing I saw was the full url was now included in the form code itself. Both style of draw_form got the user to the clicked page, but did want to bring up the difference.

I have been looking at this for several weeks off and on and my conclusion was starting to be that USU was not written to convert url's out of a form. I had been asking questions to that effect on that contributions support forum and there has not been much qualified response other than USU works on all url's. I will try to figure out what needs to be changed and go from there. My gap is that I am not sure which pages STS goes through after a form click to get to a new page. It sure does seem odd the rewrite code in htaccess does not modify the form url. Too bad Chemo is no longer here and he seems to have stopped dropping by the 'other' forum also. Real life seems to be intruding.

I would not worry about this much other than the possibility of duplicate page penalties issue from Google because the same pages can be found under 2 different names.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

Steve,

STS will not have any issues with adding a SEO URL contribution. Keep in mind that you cannot use the default search engine friendly URL's option in the admin as it is completely unstable with ANY contribution, including STS.

to add onto this, Chemo's contribution: Ultimate SEO Urls, is a very easy install (10 minutes or so) and works quite well. It does not seem to be written to handle converting url's out of forms ( which is another topic here). But, the rest of it, seems to be golden. I have had it on several siotes for months with no issues. On the contribution page itself, there are a lot of garbase entries which don't work. If you chose this contribution, use Chemo's last entry, I believe it is 2.1.d or something similar.

I'm having same problem with $templatedir.

Does anyone know where is the problem or bug?

Has anyone got $templatedir to work fully im having problems with it, in certain boxes see image,

gg9gz5.th.jpgthpix.gif

not all images are being refrenced by $templatedir

do i need to create a php global variable to hold path of $templatedir

then echo that out in image source?

Edited by steve_s

Has anyone got $templatedir to work fully im having problems with it, in certain boxes see image,

gg9gz5.th.jpgthpix.gif

not all images are being refrenced by $templatedir

do i need to create a php global variable to hold path of $templatedir

then echo that out in image source?

Here is a quick fix....

Open includes/classes/boxes.php

Find:

function infoBoxHeaderTemplate($headertext,$right_arrow) {
// STS 4.3: put header template and tags in $sts object, do not display them now.
// STS 4.5.2: BUG corrected, was checking content cache instead of header cache
  global $sts;

$btrace=debug_backtrace();
 $boxname=basename($btrace[1]['file'],".php");
 $boxprefix = "infobox_";

Change to:

// STS 4.3: put header template and tags in $sts object, do not display them now.
  global $sts;
$sts->template['templatedir'] = substr(((($request_type == 'SSL') ? DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG : DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG) . STS_TEMPLATE_DIR),0,-1); 
 $boxprefix = "infobox_";

Notice that I added the tag creation under the global sts;

$sts->template['templatedir'] = substr(((($request_type == 'SSL') ? DIR_WS_HTTPS_CATALOG : DIR_WS_HTTP_CATALOG) . STS_TEMPLATE_DIR),0,-1);

The above should allow the $templatedir to function properly in each of your infobox templates.

When I get time, I will come up with a final fix and then add it to the next STS release.

Hope this helped,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Here is a quick fix....

Open includes/classes/boxes.php

Find:

global $sts;

$boxprefix = "infobox_";

Change to:

global $sts;
 $boxprefix = "infobox_";

Notice that I added the tag creation under the global sts;

The above should allow the $templatedir to function properly in each of your infobox templates.

When I get time, I will come up with a final fix and then add it to the next STS release.

Hope this helped,

Thanks but unfortunenately it didnt work for me

but found using $sts instead of $templatedir did the trick in boxes, where $templatedir didnt work

Jo,

STS allows you to make a separate template page for your home page, category pages, product pages, etc.

Make your home template as so: index.php_0.html and add your images to it that you do not want to be viewed on the other pages.

Regarding the welcome guest string, it is as simple as modifying the catalog/index.php file.

Try this:

In catalog/index.php, find:

Change it to (comment it out):

<td class="main"><?php //echo tep_customer_greeting(); ?></td>

Now if you want to place the welcome string in your STS Template where you want the $greeting string (that is called in general.php) just add the following TO YOUR TEMPLATE PAGE:

Note: The above is within a table cell (td) so you can modify that to however you want.

Also: You will need to modify the HTML Table tags above to meet your needs in your template.

NOTE: Since version 4, STS Templates can now include PHP coding that is why I suggested commenting the tag in index.php and relocating it in your template if you wanted to. You could have also created a new STS tag for the welcome text in the sts_user_code.php file but it is just as easy to place it in your template directly.

Hope this was useful,

Thanks Bill,

I am still confused though, sorry.

I created the index.php_0.html and it's the one I linked to in my admin for STS. It's in the 'full' folder. When I view the store it works and redirects to index.php and shows the page I created (index.php_0.html) with just 'test' where I will have the images.

I read through the documentation about creating separate pages for categories etc but I am still very confused.

How do I create the separate pages for the categories etc? I saw them named as index.php_1_9 etc. If I want a layout thats basic and just has the $content in the middle cell how would I name it? Also how would it be linked to?

Sorry about aasking so many questions.

Hi Jo,

You create an index file called say index.php_1_9 you then make that file a basic layout as you want then add $content where you want the middle cell to be i would suggest altering the already index.php_1_9 to suit your needs just delete the info boxes you dont want etc

To link to it use the index module enable to true in Files for index.php template box add after sts_user_code.php ;index.php_1_9 so it will now be

sts_user_code.php;index.php_1_9 i believe that is how you will link to it

Hope that helps you out

Thanks Bill,

I am still confused though, sorry.

I created the index.php_0.html and it's the one I linked to in my admin for STS. It's in the 'full' folder. When I view the store it works and redirects to index.php and shows the page I created (index.php_0.html) with just 'test' where I will have the images.

You should NEVER "link" your template name in any of the STS Modules. Change your settings as so:

STS Default Module settings:

Use Templates?

true ***change to false if you want to temporarily turn STS off and go back to your stock osC settings-DO NOT INCLUDE THIS TEXT BETWEEN ASTERISKS***

Code for debug output

debug

Files for normal template

sts_user_code.php

Base folder

includes/sts_templates/

Template folder

full ***or whatever your folder name is-DO NOT INCLUDE THIS TEXT BETWEEN ASTERISKS***

Default template file

sts_template.html ***This is the only time you would actually list a template name-in order for STS to function properly, you must have a default template to use when a template page does not exist-DO NOT INCLUDE THIS TEXT BETWEEN ASTERISKS***

Use template for infoboxes

true ***change to false if you are not using the infobox template feature-DO NOT INCLUDE THIS TEXT BETWEEN ASTERISKS***

------------------------

STS Index Module settings:

Use template for index page

true ***change to false if you would rather use one template (default template) for all the pages in your shop-DO NOT INCLUDE THIS TEXT BETWEEN ASTERISKS***

Files for index.php template

sts_user_code.php

Check parent templates

true

------------------------

I read through the documentation about creating separate pages for categories etc but I am still very confused.

How do I create the separate pages for the categories etc? I saw them named as index.php_1_9 etc. If I want a layout thats basic and just has the $content in the middle cell how would I name it? Also how would it be linked to?

Sorry about aasking so many questions

The docs folder explains how to do this. It is very straight forward.

You should have all of your templates in your templates folder. STS comes with two sample template folders. You can have as many as you want but can only use one template folder at a time. Inside the template folder, you should have the following:

• All of your sites template pages (sts_template.html, index.php.html, index.php_0.html, etc.)
  • A folder for infobox templates called "boxes" (if you plan to use infobox templates)
  • A folder for content templates called "content" (if you plan to use content templates)

The STS User Manual goes into detail on how to name your templates. Naming is critical since STS uses the name to know what template to use when a script is being called. For example, if you wanted to template the shipping.php page, you would name it shipping.php.html and place this template in your template folder. If you wanted to have a "home" page template that would be different than all other pages, then you would name it index.php_0.html and save it in your template folder.

STS template structure (in more detail):

It is best to save your default template file as sts_template.html inside whatever template folder you are using (full, test, my_templates, etc.). Then, you would stipulate this in the STS “Default” module in the admin panel. The “sts_template.html” file would be used for all pages in your shop that you have not created a custom template for.

Now, to answer your question about custom templates for specific pages: First you need to understand how STS “searches” to see if a custom template is available. I have created a flow chart in the STS User Manual to show how this works. As an overview of the process, it works like this:

• If you wanted to create a template for Category 3, which is the “out of the box” osCommerce “Hardware” category, you would create a template and save it as “index.php_3.html”.
  • Now if you wanted to create a template for a sub-category within a category you would do the following (using the example above):

Create a template and save it as “index.php_3_9.html” to be used as a template for the “out of the box” category “Hardware” and sub-category “Mice”. Now this template will be used each time a visitor opens up the “mice” sub-category (sub-category 9) in your store. Keep in mind that the template for Category “Hardware” (Category 1) is totally independent of the template you just created for sub-category 9 "Mice". I hope by now you are seeing the pattern that STS uses to find templates.

So when a visitor opens a page in your store, such as a product page for product ID 26, STS will first see if there is a “index.php_1_9_26” template. If there is such a template, STS will use it. If not, STS will continue the search but this time look for the next higher up template which would be “index.php_1_9.html”. If there is such a template, STS will use it. If not, STS will continue the search but this time look for the next higher up template which would be “index.php_1.html”. If there is such a template, STS will use it. If not, STS will end it’s search and use the “default” template, which unless you have changed the default settings would be “sts_template.html”.

I hope this has helped you in understanding how the templating structure works with STS.

Edited by bkellum

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hi Jo,

You create an index file called say index.php_1_9 you then make that file a basic layout as you want then add $content where you want the middle cell to be i would suggest altering the already index.php_1_9 to suit your needs just delete the info boxes you dont want etc

To link to it use the index module enable to true in Files for index.php template box add after sts_user_code.php ;index.php_1_9 so it will now be

sts_user_code.php;index.php_1_9 i believe that is how you will link to it

Hope that helps you out

Sorry Steve, but the above would be incorrect. You should not add the template name in your STS moduels (see post above this one).

You are correct regarding the $content data.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hi Guys,

I need to customize what $content outputs in category pages, I really don't like the default table that is produced. Is there a way to do this in STS? I have read the doc file, but I'm not having much luck finding a solution.

I have also looked at the product_listing.php file in the modules directory, but the code in there is a little over my head :)

Sorry if this has been asked a million times, I just can't find the answer.

Thanks for any help!

Hi Guys,

I need to customize what $content outputs in category pages, I really don't like the default table that is produced. Is there a way to do this in STS? I have read the doc file, but I'm not having much luck finding a solution.

I have also looked at the product_listing.php file in the modules directory, but the code in there is a little over my head :)

Sorry if this has been asked a million times, I just can't find the answer.

Thanks for any help!

Kenneth,

$content is taken from the php script you are running. For example, the $content for index.php is the piece of code you find in index.php, between the call of column_left and the call of column_right. If you want to modify it, you have to modify the script itself.

At the moment, STS comes "out of the box" with the $content tag bringing in the dynamic data depending upon what PHP page is being used at the time. For example, if you are in a category page, the $content tag brings in the category data, if on a product page, the tag brings in the product data. Currently, the only content data that can be templated is the product content data. A content product template is provided in the sample templates that came with the contribution in the "content" folder.

If you want to have content templates for other pages in your store, you will need to be more advanced in your PHP skills to do this or search for a contribution that modifies that PHP page for you. In the latter case, STS will then bring in those modifications into your template with the $content tag. An example of this would be the Product Listing in Columns contribution.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

Hey guys,

I am totally confused. I am trying to use UL Categories instead of DynaMenu to create a horizontal dropdown list of the categories menu. Everything looks great and works fine in Firefox, but when I view it in IE it is all messed up. Instead of being hidden popups for the secondary menus, they are lists underneath the parent categories and they have major spacing between each item in the list.

You can see what is happening here: irontonforge dot com /TestSite/ (I don't want search engines to pick up this test site)

This is a new installation of just rc2a, STS 4.5.8 and UL Categories 1_1_2

I do have the code in the header to help IE understand sfhover - I inserted it in the index.php_0.html template (this is currently the only page with the ul categories menu).

My stylesheet has this:

/* CSS UL_CATEGORIES MENU */

#nav, #nav ul {
padding: 0px;
color: #FFFFFF;
list-style: none;
line-height: 1;
margin: 0px;
}

#nav a {
display: block;
width: 10em;
color: #ffffff;
font-family: "Times New Roman", Times, serif;
font-size: 12pt;
}

#nav li { /* all list items */
float: left;
width: 10em; /* width needed or else Opera goes nuts */
}

#nav li ul { /* second-level lists */
position: absolute;
background: black;
width: 10em;
left: -999em; /* using left instead of display to hide menus because display: none isn't read by screen readers */
}

#nav li ul ul { /* third-and-above-level lists */
margin: -1em 0 0 10em;
}

#nav li:hover ul ul, #nav li:hover ul ul ul, #nav li.sfhover ul ul, #nav li.sfhover ul ul ul {
left: -999em;
}

#nav li:hover ul, #nav li li:hover ul, #nav li li li:hover ul, #nav li.sfhover ul, #nav li li.sfhover ul, #nav li li li.sfhover ul { /* lists nested under hovered list items */
left: auto;
}

/* Menu items with subcategories */	
#nav a.daddy {
background: url(images/arrow_green.gif) center right no-repeat;
}

/* Selected items with subcategories */	
#nav li.selected {
background-color: #000000;
}

Anybody have any idea what I may need to do or see any error that would cause IE to not render the UL Category list properly? I've been hung-up on this bugger for a couple weeks now and just can't seem to figure out what is wrong. I am grateful for any assistance I can get at this point :blush:

~Tracy

Anyone tried using STS with Product Tabs 2?

My site is installed with STS and FckEditor and I really love the ease of modifying the front end design of the site with these two contributions.

I'm encountering this problem now and appreciate your help on this.

I need to add some tabs for some products and in one of the tab, it will bring out a list of linked products.

For eg. ProductA11 will have 3 tabs - Description, Features, Accessories.

Description and Features tab are pretty straight forward with text. But for the Accessories tab I'll need to bring out all the accessories that are linked with ProductA11. And the accessories will appear under other products as well.

How do I really go about doing it that is also easy to edit the data from the admin panel?

Am I asking for the impossible?

Thanks for the help in advance. I'm pulling my hair out for this and I don't have much hair to begin with...................

Hello all,

I am using STS 4.5.8 and have recently installed Fancy Invoice & Packing slips.

Everything is working fine, except when a customer goes to print out an order, it wants to use my Template.

How do I get a page to ignore the template system and use the default template?

Filename is catalog/print_my_invoice.php

Hello all,

I am using STS 4.5.8 and have recently installed Fancy Invoice & Packing slips.

Everything is working fine, except when a customer goes to print out an order, it wants to use my Template.

How do I get a page to ignore the template system and use the default template?

Filename is catalog/print_my_invoice.php

See my post here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?s=&...t&p=1222434

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions