• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

usps api shipping label, online labels integrated

goldencrown

I am the "web hosting company" Chris. What I need to know is: what file is causing the access denied error (mentioned earlier in this post)? I've checked wirte access on all the standard files that come with the shipping mod and they look fine. Since this error is within and oscommerce browser window, there has got to be another file that's being accessed that I'm overlooking. Any ideas what file is accessed when clicking on the USPS customer or shipping buttons?

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an attempt to post a screen grab of the permissions error I'm getting. Clicking on either the USPS customer or shipping buttons opens a new window to this. Incidentally, the path showing is catalog/admin/forbiden.php

forbidden.gif

Installed ver 1.7 and getting this error when I go to the orders page:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/httpd/vhosts/tidewaterherb.com/httpsdocs/tw/admin/orders.php on line 328

Line 328:

<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ORDERS_DIFFERENTSHIPPING, 'oID=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['oID']) . '" TARGET="_blank">' . tep_image_button('button_labelshipping.gif', IMAGE_ORDERS_DIFFERENT SHIPPING) . '</a>

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

we have some one working on a FedEx Automated Labels. and he just went live with his contribution. so here is the contribution

FedEx Automated Labels

Also he has a thred that he is using for feed back and also for getting help with the contribution

FedEx Automated labes forum :D

Biscochitos almost as good as grandma

I am the "web hosting company" Chris. What I need to know is: what file is causing the access denied error (mentioned earlier in this post)? I've checked wirte access on all the standard files that come with the shipping mod and they look fine. Since this error is within and oscommerce browser window, there has got to be another file that's being accessed that I'm overlooking. Any ideas what file is accessed when clicking on the USPS customer or shipping buttons

ok i have looked that the screen shot and i have never seen that before. so i am kind of baffled. so i don't know why you are getting that message. the only thing i can think of is that the actull file does not have the correct setting. so go through each of the files from the contribution and make sure all the files have full access so make sure that all have read write and excute access. if that does not work send me an email and then i will give you my im user name

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING in /home/httpd/vhosts/tidewaterherb.com/httpsdocs/tw/admin/orders.php on line 328

Line 328:

<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ORDERS_DIFFERENTSHIPPING, 'oID=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['oID']) . '" TARGET="_blank">' . tep_image_button('button_labelshipping.gif', IMAGE_ORDERS_DIFFERENT SHIPPING) . '</a>

Thoughts

did you go through and add

//USPS Shipping Label Contribution

define('FILENAME_ORDERS_CUSTOMERSHIPPINGLABEL', 'customershippinglabel.php');

define('FILENAME_ORDERS_DIFFERENTSHIPPING', 'differentshipping.php');

//END USPS Shipping Label Contribution

to the filenames.php file

this is very important becuase it tells oscommerce that this files are avaiable. also make sure the names match

Here's an attempt to post a screen grab of the permissions error I'm getting. Clicking on either the USPS customer or shipping buttons opens a new window to this. Incidentally, the path showing is catalog/admin/forbiden.php

ok Keith i have found your problem. so the problem is with one of the other contributions that you have installed and you have to add the new files to be accessed. so these are the steps that you need to do.

1. click on administrator

2 click on file access

3. click on modules

4. you will have a drop down list to the right and select customershippinglabel.php and then click on save. it will now be added to the filenames list

5. now on the drop down list select differetshipping.php and cilc on save. It will now be addes to the filenames list.

now you can go into an order and click on the differentshipping label button and it will now pop up.

OK Im ignorant here so this give the seller the ability to print out direct UPS labels?

This will work with a UPS account correct?

Thanks

Please bear with me

Steve and all,

Line 328:

Thoughts?

Found the problem...

Near the end of the line: IMAGE_ORDERS_DIFFERENT SHIPPING

Should Be : IMAGE_ORDERS_DIFFERENT_SHIPPING

Notice the underscore between different and shipping

Greg

I only do what my Rice Krispies tell me to do!

OK Im ignorant here so this give the seller the ability to print out direct UPS labels?

This will work with a UPS account correct?

Postal service..

USPS....

and yes they will be able to print shipping labels from there computer.

I am sorry if I am getting to this discussion late and this has already been discussed but here goes. I installed the mod and got it all up and running but did not know the difference between "customer shipping" and "different shipping" and when trying both of them on different orders they looked the same, although I knew there had to be a difference, but didn't dive into the code. The difference between these two needs to be talked about in the read me file so the same mistake we made isn't made again. We clicked "customer shipping" when there was a different shpping address specified in the order so the order was sent to the wrong address, took us forever to pinpoint the problems after the angry emails, heh. All of this could be done with one button, I do not know why there is two. Every order I have seen that uses the same shipping address as customer address the customer info was copied over to the delivery info so it seems the "Customer Shipping" button is unnecessary. Even if there are instances where it is not, there can just be a check in the code to see if the delivery info is blank, and if so copy over the customer info array to that delivery info array instead of using a whole other button and maybe confusing people. Am I correct in assuming this? I would do it myself on my own but I want to make sure there is nothing I am overlooking before I do.

Also we had the option of "first class" shipping enabled, which was the cheapest of the methods, and so our first 2 orders were made with this option. When we used the contribution it took us to a page where first class wasn't an option so we said screw it and clicked priority which was only 60 cents more. But after the tracking number was given on both orders whenever the tracking number was checked at USPS we got this message

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper or shipping partner on August 02, 2004 to expect your package for mailing. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

instead of where the package was, and this happenned to be person above where we sent to wrong address too so we were really trying to figure out the problem. we never heard anything back on the other person that used the first class option and although the tracking number didnt work, we never heard anything back so we assumed it got there alright.

after this we took the first class option off of shipping and made priorty the only one and they started working fine. this is a great contribution by the way.

pimplalize

Hope fully i will be able to answer your questions so that you will not have any more problems.

So the big question that everyone seems to ask is why are there two buttons. the answer is that one i first started out with oscommerce we were doing a free sample of our products and at the time there was no contribution that had an option for free shipping so what i did was put the weight at zero and the customer was able to check out with out the charge of shipping. but the problem was that the ship to info did not appear so that is the reason why there are two buttons one to grab the info from the customer info and the other to capture the ship to info. So now that there are contributions that do have a free shipping i have stoped using the customer shipping button. So since you have been having issues with having two buttons i would suggest that you edit the code. So on step one of the readme.txt file use

<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ORDERS_DIFFERENTSHIPPING, 'oID=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['oID']) . '" TARGET="_blank">' . tep_image_button('button_labelshipping.gif', IMAGE_ORDERS_diffrentshipping) . '</a>

insted of

<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ORDERS_CUSTOMERSHIPPINGLABEL, 'oID=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['oID']) . '" TARGET="_blank">' . tep_image_button('button_labelcustomer.gif', IMAGE_ORDERS_labelcustomer) . '</a>
<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ORDERS_DIFFERENTSHIPPING, 'oID=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['oID']) . '" TARGET="_blank">' . tep_image_button('button_labelshipping.gif', IMAGE_ORDERS_diffrentshipping) . '</a>

ok 2nd thing

Also we had the option of "first class" shipping enabled, which was the cheapest of the methods, and so our first 2 orders were made with this option. When we used the contribution it took us to a page where first class wasn't an option so we said screw it and clicked priority which was only 60 cents more. But after the tracking number was given on both orders whenever the tracking number was checked at USPS we got this message

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper or shipping partner on August 02, 2004 to expect your package for mailing. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

so to begin with the postal service does not provide frist class shipping via the web and if you want to be able to do first class we would have to use one of there api programs. But you would not be able to pay for the shipping at the same time. so what would be the point in that. We would spend all our time printing shipping labels and then we would have to wait in line to pay for the shipping lables all that time wasted. expsellsy when you are shipping 100 orders at a time, you will speed a good half our at the post office and then some.

But after the tracking number was given on both orders whenever the tracking number was checked at USPS we got this message

instead of where the package was

To begin with the postal service does not provide a tracking system like ups or fedex does unless you go express which is a big shame. I wish they would because it would give me a great peace of mind. So the only thing the tracking number is good for is to see if the package has arrived or not. The good news is that since we are doing this online it does not cost us extra. Which is money in our pocket a whopping 35 cents. But a thousand orders later it will be a diffrence. But the biggest reason why we are using the postal service is because they are about 50% less then fedex or ups for two day shipping and usps does do saterday delivery and also offer in some locations sunday delivery. Which has saved us big time. Some times if you are lucky they will have a depture scan but it depends on what facilty it goes through. but all in all we are very happy with the postal service they provide a great service and they also provide us with a great support. They also provide all the shipping supplys that you can use.

I hope that i have answered your questions about the contribution. Enjoy the contribution and good luck with the business.

thanks, i wasn't really concerned with the first class deal, just brought it up incase someone else ran into the same deal since it was on by default in ours. on usps there is a "track and confirm" number given and i assumed that it tracked packages, i know it says if it was delivered, thought it tracked too. i have had things shipped to me via usps and have tracked them just like with ups and fedex and have not once paid for express, but i cant remember if they were shipped express because of some offer on what i bought, so i can't argue that point, heh.

i read earlier in the thread that there were some problems with blank fields when you clicked one of the buttons so i was responding to that. thought putting a check in there and just moving the array over would solve that. thanks for the quick response. great work on this magnificent contribution. i work as php programmer and am always gratified when someone puts in this much work for free and only gets flack for it, so you arent getting any flack from me. take it easy.

Edited by pimpalize

pimpalize

cool i am glad you like it. It has been a group effort. Since you are a php programmer and If there is anything that you would like to add to the package that would be wonderfull. The next thing i would love to see but have not figured it out yet is a do a tracking addation were it will check the usps web site every night and check to see if a package has been delivred and if it has do an auto update with commets inserted and the stats changed to delivred. with an email sent out with a follow up.

I am not sure if it is posable but a guy can dream.

and don't forget to get the free supplys from usps they provide boxs and tape.

cheers

i can look into that, one thing i would do is put a button on the opening order page, before viewing the details because i hate having to go to the detail page when i am ready to print, but then again it helps me remember to change the staus to delivered, heh.

i reread what i wrote and it came out wrong, heh. let me change

work as php programmer and am always gratified when someone puts in this much work for free and only gets flack for it, so you arent getting any flack from me.

to

work as php programmer and am always gratified when someone puts in this much work for free, and am upset when they only get flack for it, so you arent getting any flack from me.

thats what i get for combining 10 sentences into one, heh. im sure you know what i meant though. to do what you are saying would be somewhat hard because then you would have to teach these people how to set up cronjobs and since im sure like 99% of these people use rented webspace, they probably dont even have access to it anyway. maybe there could be a button clicked that would do it, but i dont know about automatically.

i would take the customer_shipping completely out now because i don't see a need for it and it wil cause problems if somebody doesn't know what they are doing. i know what im doing and still missed it. i thought the customer shpiing was the normal one and the different shipping was for some sort of different shipping method mod that could be installed, like express or something. i dont know much about how usps works or anything but i will get into that when i have time.

i was hoping there was a way to put in the form action of the pages a

?user=myuspsusername;password=myuspspassword

or something so we didnt have to enter name and passy, i dont know the variable names needed by usps or if it would even work but its something you could try. if that didnt work you could even open up a window that submitted the name and passy to usps and then closed itself each time the button is clicked. just some thoughts. take it easy.

• 3 weeks later...

Got everything working and USPS form displays as expected. But then I get a browser erro (at bottom of IE6) sayingn load: calss com.ibm.lex.services.DetectPluginApplet.class not found. This is coming from 258 of customershippinglabel.php

Any ideas or pointers.

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to know what factors go into picking a shipper. Why would people choose FedEx, UPS, USPS, or DHL? I 'm really confused on what factors i need to consider before building in all these contributions.

Here are some questions that you need to ask you?re self.

Do your packages need to arrive in a specific time? Example Garneted two day.

Do you need to be able to track your package as it is being shipped?

What are the retail store hours? Do they mirror yours?

Cost of shipping? USPS is about 50% less then FedEx UPS, DHl. unless you are doing a large volume of shipping then you can get a discounted price.

We choosed USPS because it is 50% less and we answered no to all the questions. all we need to know is if the item has been delivered. With USPS we can drop the package off any time we want.

hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...
Got everything working and USPS form displays as expected.  But then I get a browser erro (at bottom of IE6) sayingn load: calss com.ibm.lex.services.DetectPluginApplet.class  not found.  This is coming from 258 of customershippinglabel.php

Any ideas or pointers.

Im also having the same problem!

Got everything working and USPS form displays as expected.  But then I get a browser erro (at bottom of IE6) sayingn load: calss com.ibm.lex.services.DetectPluginApplet.class  not found.  This is coming from 258 of customershippinglabel.php

Nothing to worry about this is an error because we can not find the path to the .class files on the USPS server. It does not hurt the process.

• 2 weeks later...

I keep getting this error on my site:

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/reppy/public_html/blindradar/badmin/customershippinglabel.php:1) in /home/reppy/public_html/blindradar/badmin/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 67

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/reppy/public_html/blindradar/badmin/customershippinglabel.php:1) in /home/reppy/public_html/blindradar/badmin/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 67
Your sign in session will expire after 15 minutes of server inactivity. In order to maintain your data stored in this session, you will need to navigate to another page in this application within that timeframe.

That last part isn't even visible on the page but I can copy it when I select the text.

When I try to click 'Continue', it gives me this error:

Sorry, your Print Shipping Label session has timed out. Please return to the Print Shipping Label page if you wish to print a label.

Any idea??

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /home/reppy/public_html/blindradar/badmin/customershippinglabel.php:1) in /home/reppy/public_html/blindradar/badmin/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 67

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/reppy/public_html/blindradar/badmin/customershippinglabel.php:1) in /home/reppy/public_html/blindradar/badmin/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 67

Your sign in session will expire after 15 minutes of server inactivity. In order to maintain your data stored in this session, you will need to navigate to another page in this application within that timeframe.

home/reppy/public_html/blindradar/badmin/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 67

There should be no reason for the diffrentshipping.php to be accessing the functions/sessions.php at all there is somthing else going on. As a matter of fact I downloaded the new version 1.7 that Billy Brenner made the corrections on and there are no edits of the sessions.php file

This message you will get every so often just close the old windows and then start with a new window that should take care of the problem. I am currently looking for the syntax on how usps process the user log on and once i figure that out we won't have to login any more.

The application_top.php (which is required by the customershippinglabel and differentshipping php file) file in /admin/includes includes these lines:

// check to see if php implemented session management functions - if not, include php3/php4 compatible session class
 if (!function_exists('session_start')) {
   define('PHP_SESSION_NAME', 'osCAdminID');
   define('PHP_SESSION_PATH', '/');
   define('PHP_SESSION_SAVE_PATH', SESSION_WRITE_DIRECTORY);

include(DIR_WS_CLASSES . 'sessions.php');
 }

// define how the session functions will be used
 require(DIR_WS_FUNCTIONS . 'sessions.php');

? :blink:

I just installed this mod and am having issues. The shipping label buttons are missing on the order detail page. There are no errors or anything, so it seems like a clean install.

Can someone please help me troubleshoot this?

Jeff

Edited by TulaneJeff

After further inspection, the buttons do show up under the PayPal IPN page. Is it normal for them not to be displayed on the regular Order page?

Thanks!

Jeff