• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

osC Geeklog Plugin

DrShakagee

Hi,

I have been working on a plugin to bring osC into a Geeklog site. I finally got it all up and working a couple days ago, now for testing...testing...testing. Please check it out and let me know if anything doesn't work correctly. It is not a live site, so place orders do everything you would as a buyer.

There is a tad of adult content on the site so beware (I didn't add any offensive products, in fact there are only 3 products currently.) I also haven't totally optimized the graphics and such so be careful if your on a slow connection.

LoveNectar.com osC site

There are quite a few more things to do, but most importantly on my list is to test, so please help me test it.

• 2 months later...

Hi Gavin,

You have a problem on this site: new users never get their password mailed to them.

I've signed up 3 times with 3 diff. emails for the last month and I've never received an automated email with password.

Maybe you should look at this. It would make testing easyier.

For the rest, I salute your integration as I know the great potential of Geeklog and osC as separated entities. I can imagine their integration would be a wonderful answer to anyone whishing to offer great content, interactivity, community features and sales potential to a website.

I wish you'll succeed soon. It'll be good for both GL and osC.

Have fun.

It ain't easy being me either

I don't think it can be a problem with my plugin, as I haven't touched the mail functions. Perhaps your isp has my hosting company blocked? There has been about 60 people sign up in the last week and your the only who hasn't received the email. Do you use spam assassin or something similar?

I moved the site from the one that is at the top of this thread. It is now at Lovenectar.com

Your site is back up now. Either your providor was down briefly when I was there earlier or there weren't any free connections.

Your main page has *way* too much information. The more you present, the less people will see. Also, everything seems to run together. It needs more defination between sections/areas.

The "glowy" text effect is very dated and looks unprofessional.

The flowers are very overused.

I just noticed that you are not displaying the Powered by osCommerce message as required by the forum rules so I'll stop there.

I thikn I understand wha tyou mean by adding OSC to geeklog, I am looking for a way to add more content to my storefroint, too.

AS far as the storefront goes, the first thing I hate :) is the Emporor font. I went looking to find a prettier Oriental font and found- nothing, they all pretty much suck. Something along the lines of Deng Thick, maybe? Would your client agree to Arabian regular?

And, I think that violet glow detracts from the quality of your site. Go easy with that violet color in general! Please don't tell me you are making your buttons violet :) :) Maybe a teal to add a cooler contrast and keep the Indo-Chine flavor. Or pick up the red from the bridge...

I like the double lotus, but there are a lot of artifacts, like table_background.gifs and things like that, that you need to vacuum out.

best wishes!

psst... wanna buy a wand?

Geeklog is a blog, and you can see http://www.geeklog.net to see for yourself. All the functions available on that page (and more) are basic GL features, including a really great forum plug-in. Should see for yourself.

As for a GL + osC integration, I think DrShak in on something cool and a great thin to spice up content to any osC site. Needs more work, that's all.

DrShak, when are you going to post a contrib?

It ain't easy being me either

I am not to fond of the font myself or the purple glow, but I personally don't care as the client likes it. I will eventually get this thing working with a default osC looking package before I release it.

mikes: Now that I got everything working, I am going back and making it more useable. I agree the front page is a bit to hectic at the moment. But I am working on a simplified solution. The "Powered by osCommerce message" is on every page that is actually powered by osCommerce I don't think the forum rules state that it has to be on every single page of your site (but I will check).

iiinetworks: Your right on the pages that are powered by osCommerce it does say so. On the pages that aren't it doesn't. On every page it says powered by Geeklog because it is.

Dragonmom: Where do you see table_background.gifs? I haven't used tables in quite along time so I might have not done things properly, but since its not even close to standards compliant I figured I might as well get it to look properly in every browser I could. Which means there are some double backgrounds and things to support browsers like Opera, and older versions of Netscape.

jef: To be honest I don't think it is as simple as posting a contrib. I will of course release all the code, but it I have edited every single osC file just about to get it to work. I don't think it would be easy to write a "how to". It is a geeklog plugin so it is not too hard to install it into a Geeklog site, but to change your current osC site to use this would be next to impossible. Although with proper incentive anything is possible.

table_background.gifs are those little pictures in the upper right corner of the content area. For example, table_background_default.gif is the person with a cash register that shows on the welcome page. Those are best replaced with your own graphics or at least copies of pixel_trans.gif.

Hth,

Matt

table_background.gifs are those little pictures in the upper right corner of the content area.

Ahhh thanks (I did the quick fix and turned them transparent as you suggested), I thought you meant some table back ground images. I wonder why those are called table_background when they aren't in table backgrounds. I guess its left over from an older version or something.

Archived