• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

NewsDesk -- future releases + information

moyashi

Hi all,

Sorry that I've been really busy as of late, so my plans for releasing a new version have been basically put on hold.

I had planned to do a 1.5 version but I'm debating with myself if I should or not. Too many things broke when MS1 to MS2. This matter could have been prevented if the dev team / Harald had been more aware of his users and contributors. The original NewsDesk took me 2 weeks to code and I spent close to month on the upgrades. All I needed was a pm or email to say that we've decide to rename several major functions and have decided to change several aspects of the code like the splitpage function. I wonder if this is asking too much?

I know that many of you like, love, hate this contribution which is why I'm debating on how and when I should go about doing this. Most of the fixes to make NewsDesk 1.4 to work with MS2 have been posted here in the forums.

I do plan to release a point release to update to MS2 beyond that I'm not really sure.

1.5 that I was working on was a complete rewrite of the code which took advantage of all the newer coding that was introduce with MS2. Also, I had planned to introduce authors and cross referencing with products, and several new features/changes.

However, since this was going to be a rewrite it would basically end the upgrade path and was going to use a new table structure. This I'm sure would disappoint many of the older users.

Along with this, like I said I'm pretty busy and wrote in the readme, the notes, that I wished people would use the forums for help but I still got emails and pms. I don't mind help and contributing to the communtiy but when the ratio of thank yous to help mes are so low it really makes you wonder ...

Well, let's see what happens with 1.45 .... :arrow:

NewsDesk(934) / FAQDesk(1106) / OrderCheck(1168) :::

hey I know...

I used it as a base to build the news section for Mad Mac (though it is offline currently for a few different reasons)... though I did change it quite a bit and add some features (posting comments on news stories instead of reviews, news archive, listing news in "sub sections" by date published, links to products in the catalog, etc)... but I did build it off of the newsDesk 1.4, even though it may be hard to tell ;)

The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing

- Edmund Burke

I definately appreciate your contribution!! newsdesk is one of the best ideas to come along i plan to use it but i have migrated to ms2 and have not been able to figure out how to update it to ms2

i look forward to a release the is ms2 compatable and thank you for all your work!

sgflowers

Kevin

i think osc needs to add newsdesk to the basic features... NOW..

there was a best by one of the team members i can't remrmber which one but i think it was Mark Keith Evans indicating that the play is to do this between ms3 and ms4 i definately would like to see some of the ones everybody seems to use on their site and some that improve funtionality and speed of inputting products

such as category descriptions, header tags, attribute copier / and alternate attribute handling

newsdesk although an awesome contrib does not apply to every shop

i would like to see an ms2 version as i think alot of people would use it

Hello Carsten!

I am currently trying to implement your newsdesk into a content management system. It's for a long time volunteer project. The site has grown tremendously and it's too time consuming for myself and another member to update things manually.

I've looked into using some CMS like Nukes but they just have waaay to many feautures and it all is kind of confusing. Instead, and since i am learning more and more about osC i'm thinking of using osC as a base for the site. Plus we'll have the possibility to get online contribtions and sell support memberships.

I would really like to see a MS2 version. I have used MS1 in my first two projects but now I would like to update to MS2. maybe I modify the code to MS2. (but it won't be fast because I'm very slow with PHP)

One of the things I would like to implement into this Newsdesk...is have a way for many contributing writers to supply their own columns. Maybe just something simple non-related to the osc admin panel...

I would like to make it so that users can update their articles depending of their "sub-category". I suppose when building the news-update for contributers i could have a separate sql command depending on what "news group" they are updating the article...

Just some thoughts. I am not jumping into this. just trying to do a little bit every day...

by the way...Your newsdesk has worked wonderfully for me! :) The two sites I have "almost' got done that use your contribution are:

http://www.crstires.com

and

http://www.mtnchristmas.com

Thanks a lot :!:

i already started to create ms2 newsdesk... i need it now, so i started now...

carsten if you already have in your computer ms2 newsdesk, send it to me please!

cheers

emiliano

patagonia, argentina

What about an option to allow sending copies of the newsdesk articles (or notifications, maybe) to all the registered site users ?

I have a webstore aimed at custom A/V installers. They fancy the products, they come when they need a price, but they are not the everyday readers. I need to find a practical way to let them know what's new. Then, newsdesk can always serve as a repository...

Oh, and another thing : I had to remove newsdesk categories box, since it displayed all the product categories, not only the newsdesk categories. I didn't find time to dig into the code and find a fix. Is it normal behaviour ?

The migration to MS2 should have been plain and simple but the dev team here had decided to make changes that aren't easy to spot.

Besides changing some "tep_" functions they also made fundamental changes to some files that it took me over a day just to figure out.

I have finished NewsDesk 1.45 and FaqDesk 1.25, they both work together and will work on MS2 ... however, I still need to package them and one other small problem. I designed them to work with BTS template system.

Will the template system be a problem?

The migration to MS2 should have been plain and simple but the dev team here had decided to make changes that aren't easy to spot.

Besides changing some "tep_" functions they also made fundamental changes to some files that it took me over a day just to figure out.

I have finished NewsDesk 1.45 and FaqDesk 1.25, they both work together and will work on MS2 ... however, I still need to package them and one other small problem.  I designed them to work with BTS template system.

Will the template system be a problem?

thanks 4 all your work

will you also being releasing them to work with a native ms2

i have too many other contribution to migrate to a template system

Nope, same email. :D

I'll take a look at my work again. It was just that I did this work for a paying customer and thought I would share the wealth.

hmmm, I'll need a few days to work on it since I'll need to migrate several files again.

i have categories.php --> newsdesk.php done..

newsdesk_info.php --> almost done

newsdesk_general.php --> some functions

authors.php (to add authors name, then in newsdesk.php you choose the author.. or not)

do you want the files?

cheers

emiliano

patagonia, argentina

• 3 weeks later...
i have categories.php --> newsdesk.php done..

newsdesk_info.php --> almost done

newsdesk_general.php --> some functions

authors.php (to add authors name, then in newsdesk.php you choose the author.. or not)

do you want the files?

cheers

emiliano

I have been tring to make FAQDesk 1.0 MS2 compatable. i think your progress on NewsDesk would help me since they are very similar. I have completed the admin and am able to add/edit new catagories and FAQ's. I am still getting the 1064 SQL error on catalog/faqdesk_index.php and faqdesk_search_result.php files only when there is a faqpath (catagory selected). Looks like there are many people trying to do the same job. I just want to help but if someone is very close to making this work with MS2 i don't want to do duplicate work (especially because i am still learning php and it takes me a long time of trial and error)

It's a Zoo in Here, Literaly...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Carsten & Emiliano,

I've got too many projects going on. If I could only get some of them fiNNished. Hey I was wondering if you could send me some of the MS2 compatible files you've been working on?

I would love to get started on making it work with the non-profit bicycling organization I volunteer with. I think your design will work great for it. Basically I am planning to use the same design like I do now but with the newsdesk implementation for every page and every article. It will be more like a Pagedesk if you will.

I would appreciate any help...

My e-mail address is: thomas (at) thefinnisher.com

and the biking site is: www.flagstaffbiking.org

I will have to get moving on this project. We are supposed to start processing memberships online in just 8 days from now...

Thanks,

Thomas