• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

XSell vx. Family Of Products...

kepa

Hi, which of these works better and which is easier to work with? I've searched in the forum for threads relating to them but they are just lumped together as good mods to try. I haven't found posts about comparing them. I've installed the XSell and am having minor probs, but would jump ship and switch to Family Of Products instead if it is easier to work with. It seems as though they do the same thing, but from what I have read, Family is easier to maintain. With XSell, from what I can see, you need to assign products one by one as opposed to assigning a group or family like FOP. That seems to me like it would be easier to work with...am I missing something? Does XSell do something else I'm aware of?

My needs: I'm just looking for functionality to show related, similiar, or complementary products.

TIA Kepa

• 10 months later...

Hey Kepa,

Have you figured this out yet? I installed Family Products mod and loved it. Shame that my client didn't ;-) He sells cameras and related products so I cannot create families but each product should have individual related product(s) i.e product A could have related products B, C and D. But C may only want to display B and C.

Soory, this may have turned into a wishlist reply but if you can share your experience here it would be well appreciated.

Cheers,

jatapani

I've got a new version that I wrote. It works really well, and allows you to assign "family" products to each individual product. Works SO much better than the old family products. Only problem is that I built it for a client, and one of the stipulations was that I can't release the code for free on the forums. If anyone is interested though, let me know.

Chris Sullivan