• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrading to future revisions of osCommerce

danvanw

I need to make an informed decision whether osCommerce is the right tool that I need for selling my products online.

Seems like it has all tools that I would need but my question is;

When I download this software and do the cosmetic changes to the whole catalog to how I want it, are the future revisions of osCommerce going to be compatible with the current revisions of the osCommerce code base so I don't have to worry about continually updating cosmetics from version to version?

Thanks in advance.

Dan

Probably not. You'd have to make all the cosmetic changes over again.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Thanks for your answer Chris.

Do you or anyone else know of an easy way to keep track of cosmetic changes so that it will make the job easier in the future? (e.g. Specialzed software perhaps?)

Thanks again.

Dan

Try your best to keep all your cosmetic changes in your stylesheet. If you add new classes etc. in your code make a comment in your code at the place where you made the change and you can search it for the new revision(use some standard beginning for your comment, like your last name, so a global search can find all your changes). It will help keep the frustration down. Also, in your stylesheet, you can make a comment telling where you applied the change. This way you have notes in two places and it make things easier to track down.

e.g.;

td.mynewclass { color: #000000; } // Your Name - Placed in product_info.php

For non-cosmetic things... keep a copy of changed code in a separate directory. You will know just which scripts need attention when you decide to upgrade. A direct copy of the old code into a new rev would not be advised unless you investigate first. If you cannot do a direct replace( and I would be ver wary to do that), at least you will know the code you have touched.

Hope this helps

Made a mistake in previous post.

In css stylesheet a comment is not the //.

it is a /* */ pair

This:

td.mynewclass { color: #000000; } // Your Name - Placed in product_info.php

Should be:

td.mynewclass { color: #000000; } /* Your Name - Placed in product_info.php */

Sorry for the Mento - like a typo but in the brain.

Archived