• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

NEW! Complete Order Editing Tool!

jhilgeman

I've posted a BETA of a new version of OE with a pseudo-tax fix. The various prices (incl. and excl.) are displayed properly, but tax is not being added to the sub-total or the final total on orders where tax was not initially calculated, and the total tax calculated on orders where there was a charge for tax included with the original order is not always correct (sometimes it taxes shipping, sometimes doesn't).

The only workaround for this right now would be to add an extra field, manually, called "Tax" or similar, in the Discounts and Shipping section, to add or subtract amounts as appropriate.

It seems like it would be pretty simple to come up with a new way of ringing up a sub-total that includes tax, but that wouldn't work quite right, as osC adds a new fee field a la shipping when tax is added to the order.

Do, or do not. There is no try.

Order Editor 5.0.6 "Ultra Violet" is now available!

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

You can edit the price in the box under the heading

Yea, right. I didn't realize it. I enter a new price into Price (excl.), hit Update and the prices changed accordingly. Thanks a lot for your help, djmonkey1.

Irina.

Can I suggest a much needed feature to this very good contribution?

It would be nice if it was possible to send a new orderconfirmation to customers after you have changed orders.

In my case customers often call with small changes and it would be nice to send a confirmation to ensure that I have understood the changes correctly.

Well.....this was a suggestion :-)

Tax.

From what I've seen, OE will calculate tax correctly in three different scenarios:

Scenario A-

1. At least one item had tax applied to it when the customer checked out, and

2. All the items in the order have a tax rate > 0, and

3. The store charges tax on shipping.

Scenario B-

2. At least one item in the order has a tax rate = 0, and

3. The store does not charge tax on shipping.

Scenario C-

1. The order has no tax at all.

One of the main problems is with orders that did not have any tax assessed when the order was initially placed, because when the file pulls data from orders_total it's looking for a value with a class of ot_tax in order to have somewhere to put the tax totals. If it doesn't find one, it can't use the tax data.

What I think needs to happen is the file needs to be smart enough to check all of the items in the order for tax rates. If any of the items has a tax rate associated with it, it then checks the orders_total table for a value with a class of ot_tax, and if one doesn't exist it creates it.

Also, I don't understand why it charges tax on shipping when all the items have a tax rate, but not if any of the items has a tax rate = 0.

For support or to post comments, suggestions, etc, please visit the Order Editor support thread.

Tax.

From what I've seen, OE will calculate tax correctly in three different scenarios:

Scenario A-

2. All the items in the order have a tax rate > 0, and

3. The store charges tax on shipping.

Scenario B-

2. At least one item in the order has a tax rate = 0, and

3. The store does not charge tax on shipping.

Scenario C-

1. The order has no tax at all.

One of the main problems is with orders that did not have any tax assessed when the order was initially placed, because when the file pulls data from orders_total it's looking for a value with a class of ot_tax in order to have somewhere to put the tax totals. If it doesn't find one, it can't use the tax data.

What I think needs to happen is the file needs to be smart enough to check all of the items in the order for tax rates. If any of the items has a tax rate associated with it, it then checks the orders_total table for a value with a class of ot_tax, and if one doesn't exist it creates it.

Also, I don't understand why it charges tax on shipping when all the items have a tax rate, but not if any of the items has a tax rate = 0.

Well, my taxes work fine so far except for Price (incl.) and Total (incl.) don't add tax to a price. When I charge tax, I put the % of tax in my Tax field and then at the end just before Total Price, I have Tax calculated according to the products prices in the Total field. I'm using a combination of the latest version + v1.75 with new status update ability.

Regards,

Irina.

Well, my taxes work fine so far except for Price (incl.) and Total (incl.) don't add tax to a price. When I charge tax, I put the % of tax in my Tax field and then at the end just before Total Price, I have Tax calculated according to the products prices in the Total field. I'm using a combination of the latest version + v1.75 with new status update ability.

Regards,

Irina.

Getting it to display taxes properly is easy- at about line 973 in v1.73/1.75, find this code:

echo '		</td>' . "\n" .
		 '		<td class="' . $RowStyle . '" valign="top">' . "<input name='update_products[$orders_products_id][model]' size='12' value='" . $order->products[$i]['model'] . "'>" . '</td>' . "\n" .
		 '		<td class="' . $RowStyle . '" valign="top">' . "<input name='update_products[$orders_products_id][tax]' size='4' value='" . tep_display_tax_value($order->products[$i]['tax']) . "'>" . '</td>' . "\n" .
		 '		<td class="' . $RowStyle . '" align="right" valign="top">' . "<input name='update_products[$orders_products_id][final_price]' size='5' value='" . number_format($order->products[$i]['final_price'], 2, '.', '') . "'>" . '</td>' . "\n" . 
		 '		<td class="' . $RowStyle . '" align="right" valign="top">' . $currencies->format($order->products[$i]['final_price'] * $order->products[$i]['qty'], true, $order->info['currency'], $order->info['currency_value']) . '</td>' . "\n" . 
		 '		<td class="' . $RowStyle . '" align="right" valign="top">' . $currencies->format($order->products[$i]['final_price'] * $order->products[$i]['qty'], true, $order->info['currency'], $order->info['currency_value']) . '</td>' . "\n" . 
		 '		<td class="' . $RowStyle . '" align="right" valign="top"><b>' . $currencies->format(tep_add_tax($order->products[$i]['final_price'], $order->products[$i]['tax']) * $order->products[$i]['qty'], true, $order->info['currency'], $order->info['currency_value']) . '</b></td>' . "\n" .
		 '	  </tr>' . "\n" .
		 '	 <tr><td></td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td></td></tr>' . "\n";

and change it to

echo '		</td>' . "\n" .
		 '		<td class="' . $RowStyle . '" valign="top">' . "<input name='update_products[$orders_products_id][model]' size='12' value='" . $order->products[$i]['model'] . "'>" . '</td>' . "\n" .
		 '		<td class="' . $RowStyle . '" valign="top">' . "<input name='update_products[$orders_products_id][tax]' size='4' value='" . tep_display_tax_value($order->products[$i]['tax']) . "'>" . '</td>' . "\n" .
		 '		<td class="' . $RowStyle . '" align="right" valign="top">' . "<input name='update_products[$orders_products_id][final_price]' size='5' value='" . number_format($order->products[$i]['final_price'], 2, '.', '') . "'>" . '</td>' . "\n" . 
		 '		<td class="' . $RowStyle . '" align="right" valign="top">' . $currencies->format($order->products[$i]['final_price'] + ($order->products[$i]['final_price'] * $order->products[$i]['tax']/100), true, $order->info['currency'], $order->info['currency_value']) . '</td>' . "\n" . 
		 '		<td class="' . $RowStyle . '" align="right" valign="top"><b>' . $currencies->format(($order->products[$i]['final_price'] + ($order->products[$i]['final_price'] * $order->products[$i]['tax']/100)) * $order->products[$i]['qty'], true, $order->info['currency'], $order->info['currency_value']) . '</b></td>' . "\n" .
		 '	  </tr>' . "\n" .
		 '	 <tr><td></td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td></td><td></td></tr>' . "\n";

There's another new version up, 1.81b.

If anyone is out there listening, please test it out and let me know how it's going (good, bad, ugly, etc....).

I've put a lot of work into the tax issue and it seems to slowly be coming together. It's still sometimes applying taxes to shipping and custom fees, apparently at random (maybe there should be a field where you can enter a tax rate for the shipping and fees), but besides that it appears to work very well.

The big change with this version is the ability to add tax on to an order that did not initially have it. If, during the update process, the code finds that a tax value exists but there is no entry for ot_tax in the database, it writes the appropriate entry in, thus allowing for tax computations to work properly. Unfortunately, the user (you) has to click on "Update" twice for everything to be totalled properly (once for the taxes to be added to the db, then again to be added to the final total).

Getting it to display taxes properly is easy- at about line 973 in v1.73/1.75, find this code:

echo '		</td>' . "\n" .
		 '		<td class="' . $RowStyle . '" align="right" valign="top"><b>' . $currencies->format(tep_add_tax($order->products[$i]['final_price'], $order->products[$i]['tax']) * $order->products[$i]['qty'], true, $order->info['currency'], $order->info['currency_value']) . '</b></td>' . "\n" .
		 '	  </tr>' . "\n" .

and change it to

echo '		</td>' . "\n" .
		 '		<td class="' . $RowStyle . '" align="right" valign="top">' . $currencies->format($order->products[$i]['final_price'] + ($order->products[$i]['final_price'] * $order->products[$i]['tax']/100), true, $order->info['currency'], $order->info['currency_value']) . '</td>' . "\n" . 
		 '		<td class="' . $RowStyle . '" align="right" valign="top"><b>' . $currencies->format(($order->products[$i]['final_price'] + ($order->products[$i]['final_price'] * $order->products[$i]['tax']/100)) * $order->products[$i]['qty'], true, $order->info['currency'], $order->info['currency_value']) . '</b></td>' . "\n" .
		 '	  </tr>' . "\n" .

Hi djmonkey1,

I added your code to my admin/edit_orders.php and it works fine. All my taxes are calculated and shown correctly now. I added this code to my admin/orders.php as well. I have a question: how can I make my taxes shown correctly when an order is placed, in checkout? What files should I edit?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Irina.

Hi djmonkey1,

I added your code to my admin/edit_orders.php and it works fine. All my taxes are calculated and shown correctly now. I added this code to my admin/orders.php as well. I have a question: how can I make my taxes shown correctly when an order is placed, in checkout? What files should I edit?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Irina.

Irina-

If taxes are not being calculated properly during checkout, that's a problem likely found in checkout_process.php and/or checkout_confirmation.php.

Irina-

If taxes are not being calculated properly during checkout, that's a problem likely found in checkout_process.php and/or checkout_confirmation.php.

Hi djmonkey1,

You've been so patient and kind answering my questions, may be you could help me with a few more. :blush: Is there any fix yet for the comments being listed twice? How can I add additional Handling Fee and Shipping Insurance fields to always show up in admin/edit_orders.php just like Sub-Total and Shipping charge? And how can I move Tax field just under Sub-Total?

Thanks a lot,

Irina.

There's another new version up, 1.81b.

If anyone is out there listening, please test it out and let me know how it's going (good, bad, ugly, etc....).

I've put a lot of work into the tax issue and it seems to slowly be coming together. It's still sometimes applying taxes to shipping and custom fees, apparently at random (maybe there should be a field where you can enter a tax rate for the shipping and fees), but besides that it appears to work very well.

The big change with this version is the ability to add tax on to an order that did not initially have it. If, during the update process, the code finds that a tax value exists but there is no entry for ot_tax in the database, it writes the appropriate entry in, thus allowing for tax computations to work properly. Unfortunately, the user (you) has to click on "Update" twice for everything to be totalled properly (once for the taxes to be added to the db, then again to be added to the final total).

Hello djmonkey1,

I'm new to your Order Editing Tool and started with 1.80 and copied 1.81b over it from start.

I'm trying to edit my first order which had an original 2.4% tax on the product only and have the following scenario:

1) Tax % 2.4 / Price (excl.) 48.73 / Price (incl.) 49.90 / Total (excl.) 48.73 / Total (incl.) 49.90

2) Shipping is pickup at store therefore free of charge, amount 0.00

3) I'm not charging taxes on shipping even if there is a shipping fee

4) Total Price Component: The subtotal shown is correct 49.90

6) The final total is wrong 51.05 instead of 49.90

In my case it adds the tax twice. Where do I need to change the code to avoid having the tax added twice?

Thank you for ayour kind advise.

Regards

Hello djmonkey1,

I'm new to your Order Editing Tool and started with 1.80 and copied 1.81b over it from start.

I'm trying to edit my first order which had an original 2.4% tax on the product only and have the following scenario:

1) Tax % 2.4 / Price (excl.) 48.73 / Price (incl.) 49.90 / Total (excl.) 48.73 / Total (incl.) 49.90

2) Shipping is pickup at store therefore free of charge, amount 0.00

3) I'm not charging taxes on shipping even if there is a shipping fee

4) Total Price Component: The subtotal shown is correct 49.90

6) The final total is wrong 51.05 instead of 49.90

In my case it adds the tax twice. Where do I need to change the code to avoid having the tax added twice?

Thank you for ayour kind advise.

Regards

Interesting- I'm not able to simulate this. With a duplicate set-up and scenario on my test site tax comes out at $1.17.

What does the tax total say? And is the total really $51.05, or $51.07?

Hi djmonkey1,

You've been so patient and kind answering my questions, may be you could help me with a few more.

I'll try. :)
Is there any fix yet for the comments being listed twice?
Unfortunately, my fix for that is don't use v1.75.
How can I add additional Handling Fee and Shipping Insurance fields to always show up in admin/edit_orders.php just like Sub-Total and Shipping charge?

I'm not sure what you mean here. Shipping charges are editable and the Sub-Total is not, so they do not show up the same way. You can add fees in like crazy using the empty text boxes around the shipping and tax lines. If you mean that you have additional fees that are assessed at checkout and these are not appearing in Order Editor, that's either a bug in the file or you need custom code to work with your shop.

And how can I move Tax field just under Sub-Total?

Thanks a lot,

Irina.

Sort order is set in your admin->modules->order total. Those sort order values are saved in the database along with the rest of the order total info, and Order Editor automagically displays them in that order.

I'll try. :)

Unfortunately, my fix for that is don't use v1.75.

I'm not sure what you mean here. Shipping charges are editable and the Sub-Total is not, so they do not show up the same way. You can add fees in like crazy using the empty text boxes around the shipping and tax lines. If you mean that you have additional fees that are assessed at checkout and these are not appearing in Order Editor, that's either a bug in the file or you need custom code to work with your shop.

Sort order is set in your admin->modules->order total. Those sort order values are saved in the database along with the rest of the order total info, and Order Editor automagically displays them in that order.

Hi djmonkey1,

Even when I used ealier than 1.75 versions, there where the same problems with comments being listed twice. With v1.75 it's the same problem. So, I don't see the reason to not use v1.75.

In my admin/modules/order_total I have the following sequence:

Sub-Total

Tax

Discount Coupons

Handling Fee

Shipping

Shipping Insurance

Total

When I create an order, in my admin/edit_orders.php I have:

Sub-Total

Discount Coupons

Shipping

Tax

Total

Is there any way I can change the sequence of the text boxes listed to be the same as order_total with the definitions in the boxes prefilled, so I don't need to type them in every time. Is that possible?

Thanks,

Irina.

Edited by Irin

Interesting- I'm not able to simulate this. With a duplicate set-up and scenario on my test site tax comes out at $1.17.

What does the tax total say? And is the total really $51.05, or $51.07?

Hello djmonkey

Correct, the tax says 1.17 and the new total is 50.07 but it should be only 49.90.

I also have Total B2B and OC Affiliate installed.

What total do you get when you reporoduce this?

Hello djmonkey

Correct, the tax says 1.17 and the new total is 50.07 but it should be only 49.90.

I also have Total B2B and OC Affiliate installed.

What total do you get when you reporoduce this?

The total on my site comes out as $49.90.

Is the total $50.07 or $51.05?

Hi djmonkey1,

Even when I used ealier than 1.75 versions, there where the same problems with comments being listed twice. With v1.75 it's the same problem. So, I don't see the reason to not use v1.75.

In my admin/modules/order_total I have the following sequence:

Sub-Total

Tax

Discount Coupons

Handling Fee

Shipping

Shipping Insurance

Total

When I create an order, in my admin/edit_orders.php I have:

Sub-Total

Discount Coupons

Shipping

Tax

Total

Is there any way I can change the sequence of the text boxes listed to be the same as order_total with the definitions in the boxes prefilled, so I don't need to type them in every time. Is that possible?

Thanks,

Irina.

Brickle Frickle! It's suppose to order by sort order, not make up it's own order.

And you have two whole fields in your order_totals table it isn't even looking at?

Brickle Frickle! It's suppose to order by sort order, not make up it's own order.

And you have two whole fields in your order_totals table it isn't even looking at?

Hi djmonkey1,

I'm so sorry, I forgot to mention that I use "Step-By-Step Manual Order Entry" along with edit orders. So, first I go to Create Order, enter the customer's details and then I'm going to edit_orders.php page where I can enter the products for the order. And here is where I get all this fields:

Sub-Total

Discount Coupons

Shipping

Tax

Total

Sorry if I didn't explain myself as I should. For me Edit Orders and Step-By-Step Manual Order Entry just like one inseparable contribution. Is my question still appropriate here or I need to ask it in the different support forum?

Thanks,

Irina.

You see every single comment displayed twice?

You see every single comment displayed twice?

Yes, sometimes even three times in a row. So I need to go to my database and delete redundant entries. Not such a convenient solution.

Regards.

Yes, sometimes even three times in a row. So I need to go to my database and delete redundant entries. Not such a convenient solution.

Regards.

So the comments are being posted repeatedly. This is a bug with 1.75, the whole status update thing, that's why I recommended not using it.

The total on my site comes out as $49.90.

Is the total $50.07 or $51.05?

The total displayed is 50.07.

Maybe there is a problem with Edit Order in combination with Total B2B. I remember for Total B2B some functions needed to be changed to deduct discounts from total amount.

Where is this total amount being calculated in Order Editor, is this a call to an exisiting function?

Thanks

So the comments are being posted repeatedly. This is a bug with 1.75, the whole status update thing, that's why I recommended not using it.

Incidentally, I'm not saying it's not happening with other versions, just that I have seen something like this with 1.75.

What version of PHP are you using?

The total displayed is 50.07.

Maybe there is a problem with Edit Order in combination with Total B2B. I remember for Total B2B some functions needed to be changed to deduct discounts from total amount.

Where is this total amount being calculated in Order Editor, is this a call to an exisiting function?

Thanks

It's adding in an extra $0.17 then. You're sure there aren't any other special fees or anything floating around in the orders_total table? The contriubtion, in it's current form, will unfortunately automatically add tax to shipping and custom fees, sometimes, if it feels like it.

Exactly how Order Editor calculates the total seems to be one of the great mysteries of the contribution. I've waded through it many times and haven't figured that out yet.

In the function for updating the totals we have

// Check for existence of subtotals (CWS)					  
				if ($ot_class == "ot_total") 
					{

// Correction tax calculation (Michel Haase, 2005-02-18)
// I can't find out, WHERE the $RunningTotal is calculated - but the subtraction of the tax was wrong (in our shop)
//						  $ot_value = $RunningTotal-$RunningTax;
					  $ot_value = $RunningTotal;

if ( !$ot_subtotal_found ) 
					  { // There was no subtotal on this order, lets add the running subtotal in.
						//   $ot_value +=  $RunningSubTotal;
					  }
				   //   print $ot_value;
				   //   exit;
					 }

But, there are only seven instances of $RunningTotal in the file. Two of them are found here:

if ($ot_class == "ot_shipping" || $ot_class == "ot_lev_discount" || $ot_class == "ot_customer_discount" || $ot_class == "ot_custom" || $ot_class == "ot_cod_fee") {
					// Again, because products are calculated in terms of default currency, we need to align shipping, custom etc. values with default currency
					$RunningTotal += $ot_value / $order->info['currency_value'];
				}
				else
				{
					$RunningTotal += $ot_value;
				}

which isn't a lot to go on. Three more instances are in comments and the last is found at the top of the update totals function where it is set at zero:

$RunningTotal = 0;

So, apparently $RunningTotal += $ot_value / $order->info['currency_value'];

Installed the 2 Mar 2006 release.

Buttons show up, everything look normal. Click edit (outside the invoice or from within, doesn't matter) , which take me to

https://www.mydomain.com/admindir/edit_orders.php?oID=65

And it's blank.

I didn't touch the edit_order.php as it is a new file with the package.

What now?

My Contributions

Henry Smith