• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

ADVICE TO POSTERS ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT EXISTING CONTRIBS

loxly

We also need better forum software period. PHPBB's search function sucks. It seems that if you have certain keywords in your search like the word admin, it will always return stating that it found nothing. I've encountered several instances where the exact keywords I searched for were in the forum but when I searched it said it found no results.

I know the fact that the boards will be changing has been mentioned before, but I just though it was relevant to mention it here.

FWIW - I think the concept of a single thread for a contribution is too limiting. I'd like to see at least 3 threads per contribution - seperated from the other contribs by it's own forum. The three threads would be

1) Announcements: where the contributor only can provide updates, announcements, etc..

2) Installation & Configuration: where anyone having trouble with getting the contrib working can post

3) Tips & FAQs: where members can post what they've learned after installing the contrib so that others can find it more readily.

I realize that the thought of putting up a forum for each contribution may be daunting but I think it would be very helpful. As it stands now, all of the contributions are tossed together into one pile and that is very daunting to newbies. Especially those who are less than skilled with using the search.

Apathy is a dominant gene - mutate.

FWIW - I think the concept of a single thread for a contribution is too limiting. I'd like to see at least 3 threads per contribution - seperated from the other contribs by it's own forum. The three threads would be

1) Announcements: where the contributor only can provide updates, announcements, etc..

2) Installation & Configuration: where anyone having trouble with getting the contrib working can post

3) Tips & FAQs: where members can post what they've learned after installing the contrib so that others can find it more readily.

I realize that the thought of putting up a forum for each contribution may be daunting but I think it would be very helpful. As it stands now, all of the contributions are tossed together into one pile and that is very daunting to newbies. Especially those who are less than skilled with using the search.

thanks for this suggestion Gregg, I will be implementing this in another forum I am setting up, you hit the nail on the head!

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]