• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Family Products-MS2

Hello,

Here is the answer to the TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS issue.

in catalog - includes - languages - english find products_info.php

this is what it should look like:

//Family Products

define('TEXT_FAMILY_PRODUCTS', 'Family Products:');

//Family products EOF

define('TEXT_PRODUCT_NOT_FOUND', 'Product not found!');

define('TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS', 'No related items found!');

define('TEXT_CURRENT_REVIEWS', 'Current Reviews:');

Note. define('TEXT_PRODUCT_NOT_FOUND', 'Product not found!'); is in the file before the contrib, but there is no entry for 'TEXT_NO_PRODUCTS' so just create on here....problem fixed!

Greyson Schwing

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I, too, am highly interested in the ability to have products belong to more than one family. One of my clients sells Motorola products. Some radio accessories fit more than one radio, so it would be super sweet to be able to have an accessory attached to more than one radio. :wink:

Greyson Schwing

I am about halfway done with Family Products v3.0

I will upload it as soon as I am done.

Look forward to:

? Much more user friendly, all new, admin control panel.

? Ability to tell admin whether you want to display in an infobox setting

or a list.

? Ability to assign more than 1 family to a particular product.

? And much, much more.

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

Will do....

Are there any settings or capabilities (other than those mentioned above for v3) that you would like to see as well?

Please let me know asap so that I can try and include them also.

Thanks,

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

Excellent. I've been looking forward to this update.

One thing that would be good for me (not sure if it would be relevant to anyone else) is if I could actually specify the products the current product would combine well with.

My product line is a range of alternative medicine. Many of the formulas work best if used in combination with other formulas. So just below my product copy, it would be great if I could insert something to the effect of,

Combine with:

Product Name for bla bla bla

Another Product for bla bla bla

etc.

The product names would link to their respective pages. The combination product names could either be typed in or perhaps selected from drop-down menus.

Does this make sense?

And this may be way too complicated or perhaps even subject for another contribution, but I would love to be able to specify different product copy for the combo products as they relate to the parent product.

Cheers!

Hi Chris,

Not quite actually. It's possible my situation is slightly unique due to my product range.

Though a given product may belong in the same family as another for a certain condition, the same is not necessarily true in reverse. For example - if a customer is viewing my product called 'Clear Energy' because they're interested in max performance during weight training, there aren't any other products in my range that I'd combo sell for this purpose. However, Clear Energy does combo-sell well with a number of other formulas where it's targeting a different issue. As it is now, if I were to apply a family to Clear Energy - let's say Clear Stress and Clear Liver are relevant family members in this particular case... when later viewing Clear Stress or Clear Liver as the focus products, we'll automatically see Clear Energy amongst their family products, and this is what I want to avoid, as Clear Energy may not be relevant, depending upon the condition the customer is hoping to treat. You dig?

This is why it would be good to be able to hand-pick the combo sellers. As you've likely gathered, each product may appear within several different categories, as the formulas tend to have multiple applications. I actually only have 18 products within my range, but these formulas, in combination with others, actually treat well over 100 common conditions.

Ok, well I have come into quite a problem.

If products are going to exist in multiple families, then how am I to know which families to show when?? For example, the case above....that is not an easy thing to do.....to say that a family is a family only when a person is looking for a certain "cure" (in this case). Unless you already know what the user wants the only option I can come up with is to assign only 1 family per product, or to show all of the families that have a match for that particular product...

Does anyone have any other ideas?

If so, please let me know as soon as possible so that I can get this mod out to everyone.

Thanks,

-Chris

Chris Sullivan

Hi Peter,

Yes, I think you understand what I'm aiming for.

Chris,

My description above is how my system would work in an ideal world, but it may, in fact, be too difficult a task to accomplish, and I certainly have no expectation that you'll add these capabilities to satisfy my needs. I have very little understanding of PHP or mysql, so I can't comprehend fully what's involved. If it's too tricky, just get the mod out for eveyone else. I can always manually add these links to the product description field.

I do appreciate your consideration though. You guys are champions!

Matti,

For some reason, I am able to unzip all other contributions but yours. My expander claims your .zip files (all three) use an "unknown compression algorithm".

I tested a number of other Contributions to see if it was me... they all work fine tho.

Possible you might have an alternative location to attempt a download fro? For MS2 that is...

Feel free to e-mail me or PM me if you have an alternate location.

Ian Sears

[email protected]

Matti,

For some reason, I am able to unzip all other contributions but yours. My expander claims your .zip files (all three) use an "unknown compression algorithm".

I tested a number of other Contributions to see if it was me... they all work fine tho.

Possible you might have an alternative location to attempt a download fro? For MS2 that is...

Feel free to e-mail me or PM me if you have an alternate location.

Ian Sears

[email protected]

Hmm... unusual - I'll email you the files tonight - though I would be waiting for Blueline's contrib - sounds great! 8)

Chris - are you going to have selectable column/list display like we discussed..?

Matti,

Thanks. It seems like you've done some great work here. I look forward to the zip. So noone else has this problem huh? Meaning the posted zip is ok? I can open other zip contributions...

Blueline, thank you so much for your work on this.

To all, I've read three full threads on the "Family vs. X-Sell". I am still trying to understand what the difference (pro/con) is between X-Sell and Family Products. Am I really out there? or am I not alone in not recognizing the differences?

Ian

Matti,

Thanks. It seems like you've done some great work here. I look forward to the zip. So noone else has this problem huh? Meaning the posted zip is ok? I can open other zip contributions...

Blueline, thank you so much for your work on this.

To all, I've read three full threads on the "Family vs. X-Sell". I am still trying to understand what the difference (pro/con) is between X-Sell and Family Products. Am I really out there? or am I not alone in not recognizing the differences?

Ian

I am a bit confused as well

with xsell i can assign a specific product suggestion to a specific product is this possible with family products or does the whole family of products get shown

Yes there is, but that is not what this mod was built for. If that is all you want then simply create a new contentBox that holds the values for a random query.

Otherwise, are you talking about a random selection from the current family?

Chris Sullivan

Selectable column/list display - Are you talking about the ability to select in the admin whether the display is shown as a list or as a bix infobox?

Yeah - your original release displayed as does new products on the main page - I was originally asked by a client for the product listing style display that the MS2 release has - it could easily be split between modules/family_products.php and family_listing.php and a new family_column.php.

Matti

I'm already finished with that part.

Done and done.

One thing I am kinda curious about though....everyone says they want to assign 1 product to more than 1 family. I've already set it up so that can be done; however, I am curious to know which family people want displayed.

Should I write it so that it randomly selects 1 of the families that the product is assigned to....should I show all of the families (and if so, all together, or should I seperate each family)....

What does everyone want to see in this situation????

Chris Sullivan

Yes there is, but that is not what this mod was built for. If that is all you want then simply create a new contentBox that holds the values for a random query.

Otherwise, are you talking about a random selection from the current family?

I think a random selection from the family would be a great feature

ie 15 products are listed as family products but you only want display say 6 it randomly picks 6 to display

Should I write it so that it randomly selects 1 of the families that the product is assigned to....should I show all of the families (and if so, all together, or should I seperate each family)....

have you figured out what happens when 2 families are assigned to a product? i would suggested either displaying both or random between

is there any way options for this could be set by product

sounds pretty complicated easy to write as a request for you i guess

can't wait to try out v3 thanks 4 your work