• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Header Tags Controller for Admin MS 2.2

Farrukh

Does the page display correctly if you delete it from Page Control? There is nothing that Header Tags adds that would cause such a change so I think your problem is elsewhere.

Jack

Its exactly the same result.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking for some (paid) one on one telephone assistance with setting up the header tags and unique title/meta tags (and possibly other features of OSCommerce). Does anyone know of a person or service that offers this?

Thanks in advance!

Guys got a problem, I have a custom template applied to my oscommerce shop and the problem is that I cant find certain sections which i need to replace and for this reason the installation keeps failing, therefore i cant get this mod to work,

Is there anyone who could give me a hand with the installation of the catalog aspect of this script plz, its quite urgent

Go to admin->Header Tags->Fill Tags, select the Fill All buttons and update. Or go into the category or product edit page and edit them individually.

Jack

oh my... first let me apoligize for my TOTAL dumbness...

i was looking at this just on the Header Tags menu thing... for some reason... don't ask... it never crossed this feeble brain to look directly into the content... just found it...

AMAZING... totally amazing... and i thank you for your patience in replying to me.

Thank you thank you

Guys got a problem, I have a custom template applied to my oscommerce shop and the problem is that I cant find certain sections which i need to replace and for this reason the installation keeps failing, therefore i cant get this mod to work,

Is there anyone who could give me a hand with the installation of the catalog aspect of this script plz, its quite urgent

In most templates, excpet for BTS based ones, it is usually only the index file that gives the problem. Header Tags will still work without the changes to the body of the index page. You will just lose the categories description option. That code can be added back in but it is not something that can be explained since it would vary with the template.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Go to admin->Header Tags->Fill Tags, select the Fill All buttons and update. Or go into the category or product edit page and edit them individually.

Jack

ok... I went and updated the first product... went to look at my meta... and the changes showed... but I didn't like the page title cause there were too much stuff there... so I went back to Header/page text and went to remove that title I had put in product info ... and I updated... and now all of a sudden nothing is working anymore...

I backstepped and redone the first few steps... and went to fill tags and told it to Fill All buttons and I updated like you said... only... this time it's not working at all... I only have the meta title/desc/keywords of my index page and that's it...

I went directly into the product again and tried to change it... once again... nothing happens...

Any thought on what i did wrong and how I can reset this??

Sorry for being such a pain

ok... I went and updated the first product... went to look at my meta... and the changes showed... but I didn't like the page title cause there were too much stuff there... so I went back to Header/page text and went to remove that title I had put in product info ... and I updated... and now all of a sudden nothing is working anymore...

I backstepped and redone the first few steps... and went to fill tags and told it to Fill All buttons and I updated like you said... only... this time it's not working at all... I only have the meta title/desc/keywords of my index page and that's it...

I went directly into the product again and tried to change it... once again... nothing happens...

Any thought on what i did wrong and how I can reset this??

Sorry for being such a pain

I forgot to mention that eventough I set it so that the Category and Product name would be added to the Keyworks or description... none of this is no longer happening either.

Thanks for any help

After a lot of testing, ive found that if in the admin section, page control/delete new page, if i delete the allprods then when i look at my index page, it displays the default tags and not the ones set for index.php

Also If i delete the index page, then retry to add it, the tags are still default.

Does this happen to anyone else? if not any ideas whats up??

The header_tags have the correct chmodd and i can see them being added to the files.

hum... this is exactly what is happening to me... only... I didn't delete my index.php page... just the allprods because I didn't have use for it and it's when my issue has started...

does this help?

After a lot of testing, ive found that if in the admin section, page control/delete new page, if i delete the allprods then when i look at my index page, it displays the default tags and not the ones set for index.php

Also If i delete the index page, then retry to add it, the tags are still default.

Does this happen to anyone else? if not any ideas whats up??

The header_tags have the correct chmodd and i can see them being added to the files.

well Phil... I don't know if this will help your situation... but your post did help mine.

Since I had done the same thing you did... delete the allprods page... I thought maybe it was just it... so I went back and replaced all the "header..." something files from the mod... it resetted it and I had my allprods again and index and everything... so I went and tried it again... and now everything is perfectly working...

Hope this helps someone... thanks again

Trying to install this contribution and got to the end of the Install Catalog part. Now I am getting the following error:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING in /home/mysite/public_html/index.php on line 52

The code on that line in the index.php file is as follows:

require(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/' . FILENAME_DEFAULT);

Can anyone help me? Thanks.

Kelvin

That's not part of the Header Tags code so my guess is that you made a mistake in the changes for the index.php file. You should double check that part.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks Jack. I undid what I had done in index.php and started meticulously from the beginning and got it working again.

Now I have a question. The instructions say

FIND

<td class="pageHeading" valign="top"><?php echo $products_name; ?></td>

<td class="pageHeading" align="right" valign="top"><?php echo $products_price; ?></td>

REPLACE with

<td valign="top"> <h1> <?php echo $products_name; ?></h1></td>

<td align="right" valign="top"><h1><?php echo $products_price; ?></h1></td>

NOTE: In any page in which you make the change to the title for Header Tags, you should

also locate the line containing HEADING_TITLE, remove the pageHeading class and

add the h1 tags as above.

Now I think I have found the right code in the files, but I am not sure because the code is a bit different from above. The code I have noticed in most of the files that I need to change reads as follows:

<td class="pageHeading"><?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>
		<td class="pageHeading" align="right"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'table_background_account.gif', HEADING_TITLE, HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>

and I have been changing it to this:

<td> <h1> <?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></td>
		<td align="right"> <h1> <?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'table_background_specials.gif', HEADING_TITLE, HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>

Is this correct??

Thanks

Kelvin

You need the closing for h1:

<td> <h1> <?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></h1></td>
		<td align="right"> <h1> <?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'table_background_specials.gif', HEADING_TITLE, HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></h1></td>

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You need the closing for h1:
		  <td> <h1> <?php echo HEADING_TITLE; ?></h1></td>
		<td align="right"> <h1> <?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'table_background_specials.gif', HEADING_TITLE, HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></h1></td>

Jack

Thanks Jack. Still learning. :lol:

Well, I have the site up and running and I am trying to get the prod_info.php to show the products description in the URL. But it is not doing that. You can take a look HERE and see what I mean.

After I get one file working, it should be no problem getting them all working right?

Also the instructions say

3 - If your site still works after the above and the title

seems to be changing, then install the admin part of the

contribution by following the steps in the Install_Admin file.

4) - Go to admin->Header Tags->Fill Tags, click on Fill All for

Categories, Manufacturers and Products and then click update.

This will autofill your title, meta desc and meta keywords

for all existing categories, manufacturers and products.

product meta_title with product_name

product meta_description with product_name or product_description (depends on settings)

product meta_keyword with product_name

manufacturer meta_title with manufacturer_name } Might have to delete from code

manufacturer meta_description with manufacturer_name } Might have to delete from code manufacturer meta_keyword with manufacturer_name } Might have to delete from code

category meta_title with category_name

category meta_description with category_name

category meta_keywords with category_name

Now when I go to my Admin area, I don't see anything regarding Header Tags. Where am I suppose to find that?

The writing in RED above is my personal note about this part of the code. Will I have to remove these queries as I don't have manufacturers?

Also when I go to About Us catagory, I get HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ABOUTUS - Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Thanks for all your help.

After I get this site working and looking properly, I will definitely have to return the favors and help others out on this forum. :D

Kelvin

It sounds like you didn't complete the installation. The Header Tags link should show up in your admin even if it doesn't work if you made the changes to the admin files.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It sounds like you didn't complete the installation. The Header Tags link should show up in your admin even if it doesn't work if you made the changes to the admin files.

Jack

Hi Jack. Yes, some of my instructions didn't show up in the txt file I had. I had to redownload it to get it all. Don't know how that could have happened.

Anyway, I am now up and running Header Tags :lol: :D Now just to figure out the pages :huh:

Anyway, Thanks for all your help Jack. Very very much appreciated.

Kelvin

Hello HTC users:

Simple Template System v4.2 with Header Tags Controller v2.5.9

I feel that STS v4.2 and Header Tags Controller v2.5.9 should be a part of any osCommerce store. However, getting them both to work together can be quite a hurdle. I have uploaded a new single contribution that provides a user friendly method of getting both of these contributions installed and working on your store.</SPAN>

What's included:

• Complete Contribution Package
  • User Friendly Installation Instructions
  • User Friendly User Manual

Have fun everyone, Bill Kellum :D

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Hi there,

Just a quick question regarding HTC and the stock osC SEF urls settting.

I have HTC 2.5.9.1 installed and it works fine output looks like

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
 <title>The Matrix | My Store</title>
 <meta name="Description" content="DVD The Matrix"/>
 <meta name="Keywords" content="The Matrix "/>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"/>
<!-- EOF: Generated Meta Tags -->
<base href="http://127.0.0.1/2.1/">

But when SEF is enabled I see only

<title>My Store</title><base href="http://127.0.0.1/2.1/">

Can someone give me a quick lesson in how HTC is picking up the page variable? This worked in older versions so I'm "thinking" it can't be that hard :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Iggy

Edited by Iggy

Everything's funny but nothing's a joke...

Hi there,

Just a quick question regarding HTC and the stock osC SEF urls settting.

I have HTC 2.5.9.1 installed and it works fine output looks like

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
 <title>The Matrix | My Store</title>
 <meta name="Description" content="DVD The Matrix"/>
 <meta name="Keywords" content="The Matrix "/>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"/>
<!-- EOF: Generated Meta Tags -->
<base href="http://127.0.0.1/2.1/">

But when SEF is enabled I see only

<title>My Store</title><base href="http://127.0.0.1/2.1/">

Can someone give me a quick lesson in how HTC is picking up the page variable? This worked in older versions so I'm "thinking" it can't be that hard :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Iggy

A little more info as I track into this.

It IS picking up the Default title from the HTC entry. /index.php returns what I want to see

But /index.php/cPath/1

and

/product_info.php/cPath/1/products_id/30

do not. Can anyone clue me in to where HTC is failing to pull a value?

Thanks,

Iggy

If you are using one of the SEF contributions, there is one that is not compatible with Header Tags, but I don't recall which one. I know that Ultimate SEO work fine with Header Tags and suggest you use it. If you are using the SEF option in admin, then I suggest you not use that and use Ultimate SEO instead. Even if you get the option to work, the benefit it gives you is marginal, at best.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

If you are using one of the SEF contributions, there is one that is not compatible with Header Tags, but I don't recall which one. I know that Ultimate SEO work fine with Header Tags and suggest you use it. If you are using the SEF option in admin, then I suggest you not use that and use Ultimate SEO instead. Even if you get the option to work, the benefit it gives you is marginal, at best.

Jack

True on the stock osC SEF function. But I'm updating a store that's been using it for years and is WELL indexed by the search engines so I'd rather not change the url if I don't have to (or really I'd rather not have to figure out the mod_rewrite rule that would fix it :)

So tantalizingly close though. I'll stay in it a bit longer. Any suggestions you might have I'd love to hear.

Thanks,

Iggy

Hello HTC users:

Simple Template System v4.2 with Header Tags Controller v2.5.9

I feel that STS v4.2 and Header Tags Controller v2.5.9 should be a part of any osCommerce store. However, getting them both to work together can be quite a hurdle. I have uploaded a new single contribution that provides a user friendly method of getting both of these contributions installed and working on your store.</SPAN>

What's included:

• Complete Contribution Package
  • User Friendly Installation Instructions
  • User Friendly User Manual

Have fun everyone, Bill Kellum :D

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you can find it on the STS Contribution page.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

HTC Contribution

I have installed header tags and now loaded some data.

When I access the CGI site direct everything appears to be working fine. For example the reverse info line at the top of the browser shows all the title information etc

When I access through a domain name that get redirected to the CGI site, the site works fine, but there are no indications that header tags are there (eg nothing in the reverse info line)

I am assuming this is incorrect behaviour, ie the header tags title should show whatever

I have rechecked the code, have searched this support area to no avail. I guess one of my problems is I dont know how to properly describe the issue

Please can someone give me some suggestions as to where to start looking for a resolution to my problem.

Thank you

Nossum

Still having troubles with my header tags. If you look HERE you can see that I am getting a variable name instead of the page title. Also having some difficulties getting the right things to display on some of the pages.

Is there a way to display the product name there when I view a specific product, instead of just my company default header tag?

Thanks for the help

Kelvin