• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Header Tags Controller for Admin MS 2.2

Farrukh

Did you make the changes to the files in the root of your shop (index.php, product_info.php and possibly others)? If you didn't make any changes to admin at all, your shop side should change once that part is installed, as per the instructions. It tells you to stop there and check it. Did you?

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have installed the latest vers 2591 of header tags. I have uploaded all the files and made all the ammendments. I get the additional sections in admin. I get no error messages and yet after I run Fill Tags I see no difference in the source code...the page title is no longer shown on the title bar. What simple thing have I missed? I took great care in the ammendments as I have Master Products installed and some of the ammendments needed ammending!!

The edit function wouldn't work!! The page title is comprised of the full path. After I run the fill tags, it tells me that it has run OK.

At the top of header tags.php it says use PHPMyAdmin to "UPDATE products_description set PRODUCTS_HEAD_TITLE_TAG = PRODUCTS_NAME"...Do I need to do this?

Just a trifle confused here??

Did you make the changes to the files in the root of your shop (index.php, product_info.php and possibly others)? If you didn't make any changes to admin at all, your shop side should change once that part is installed, as per the instructions. It tells you to stop there and check it. Did you?

Jack

Yes and it all seemed to be fine...no errors reported

There are certain things you need to do to any site if you want it to do well in the search engine listings. One of those, as an example, is to have a unique titel for each page. Since oscommerce is dynamic and there is only one page for all of your products,................. If you want to know why it works, you would need to study up on SEO techniques, which is a good idea anyway. But to get the benefits of it, just install and set it up. It will do the rest for you.

Jack

Jack

Good evening

Thank you for this advice - it will be acted upon!

It is installed and working inasmuch as the fill tags works very well and I can see the results on the reverse header bar

I have also started to work on the titles and descriptions. I understand the logic of your guidance, but think I will have to do a lot more reading up to become comfortable. I have begun to find pages with advice - are there any particular pages that you think are particularly good?

One thing I have picked up on is that the value of key words seems to be diminshing (not extinct though) and having inbound links is also a good idea

Thank you again Jack

Regards

Nossum

Things change in SEO all of the time butr there are some basic "rules" that seem to always hold. Search the web for SEO and read some of the pages. You will begin to see common things, like having unique titles. Make sure your site follows those common guidelines. As for links, there is no solid proof that anything has changed with this that I am aware of. Google changes how they handle links quite often and they have never released their method of how they calculate them nor have they ever released all of the links to everyone's site. Google uses a list of at least a hundred items to check a site to determine it position in their listings. PR has never counted very high on that list and I seriously doubt that it will since it is so easy to manipulate. The exception to that is if you can get several quality one-way, high PR links to your site. For example, if you sold books and were able to get a link from amazon.com to your site, then your position would surely be affected. Of course, the chances of that happening are pretty much non-existent for most sites.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Im having problems with this contrib again, Ive just redownloadedd 2.5.9.1 and rechecked the install. but only the defaults tags are displaying within page info, Ive checked the chmodding.

Ive checked the products_description table, and the info is stored

in the includes/languages/english/header_tags.php I can see it being saved in the file, but not displaying, ive turned off SEO and happens when enabled or not???? :( .

also

In categories_description table whats the difference between categories_htc_desc_tag & categories_htc_description

Any ideas??

If you are using a stock shop (non-STS or BTS) and the data is in the header_tags files as you say, then the only other thing it can be is the code in the idividual files, like index.php. Be sure you changed the code as per the instructions.

categories_htc_desc_tag - meta tag description

categories_htc_description - category description that is displaued on the category page in the shop

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Things change in SEO all of the time butr there are some basic "rules" that seem to always hold. ..............Of course, the chances of that happening are pretty much non-existent for most sites.

Jack

Thanks for these thoughts Jack - very much appreciated. Looks like "bed time reading" is going to be about SEO for some time!

Regards

Nossum

If you are using a stock shop (non-STS or BTS) and the data is in the header_tags files as you say, then the only other thing it can be is the code in the idividual files, like index.php. Be sure you changed the code as per the instructions.

categories_htc_desc_tag - meta tag description

categories_htc_description - category description that is displaued on the category page in the shop

Jack

Ive checked the changes and as far as i can see all is correct, heres the languages/english/header_tags.php extract

// product_info.php - if left blank in products_description table these values will be used
define('HTTA_PRODUCT_INFO_ON','1');
define('HTKA_PRODUCT_INFO_ON','1');
define('HTDA_PRODUCT_INFO_ON','1');
define('HTTA_CAT_PRODUCT_DEFAULT_ON', '0');
define('HEAD_TITLE_TAG_PRODUCT_INFO','Test');
define('HEAD_DESC_TAG_PRODUCT_INFO','Test');
define('HEAD_KEY_TAG_PRODUCT_INFO','Test');

Result = here

I've looked at all the instructions on this contribution, and depite the complicated look, it's so well written compared to some others that I'm hoping for a easy and seamless install. Kudos to the contributors for that!

Am wondering, though, What is HTTA, HTDA, HTKA and HTCA?

I saw those in the screenshots, and always get worried/nervous when I don't understand something...

Thanks.

They are switch options in the code used to enable/disable combining the default settings withthe specific ones. There is a more detailed popup explanation once it is installed.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It appears to be installed correctly. If you have set the text in default and index sections in admin->Header Tags->Text Control to the same and have not run fill tags, it may act that way. Other than that, I can't say what's wrong.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

I downloaded and started installing the contribution HeaderTags_v2.5.9.1. I did the database updates and the shopping cart wroked fine. However, after doing step 2 I got a parse error when trying to access my shopping cart. The error says:

Parse error: parse error in mypath\catalog\index.php on line 368

where line 368 is the next one (blank line) after the code

<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'footer.php'); ?>

<!-- footer_eof //-->

<br>

</body>

</html>

<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'application_bottom.php'); ?>

Does anyone know why this is happening?

Hi,

I downloaded and started installing the contribution HeaderTags_v2.5.9.1. I did the database updates and the shopping cart wroked fine. However, after doing step 2 I got a parse error when trying to access my shopping cart. The error says:

Parse error: parse error in mypath\catalog\index.php on line 368

where line 368 is the next one (blank line) after the code

<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'footer.php'); ?>

<!-- footer_eof //-->

<br>

</body>

</html>

<?php require(DIR_WS_INCLUDES . 'application_bottom.php'); ?>

Does anyone know why this is happening?

You made some mistake in the changes for the index.php file. The parser is going to the end of the file so the error is probably an extra or missing }. You will just need to to that file over to find the problem.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello,

I am using HTC for some time now, and it is really working great, but I have a question. HTC is used in a shop with a lot of different categories. The products have product names that do not refer to the categories. Because of the large number of categories, it is not wise to ad them all to the keywords. Therefore I want HTC to put the category name in front of the keywords on the product information pages.

Is this already possible, or easily to adapt?

It's not currently possible to do this with. You would need to edit the includes/header_tags.php file to read in the category name.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Ive Just recpied v.2.5.6 files over the top and it seems to be back to normal :huh:

So i must of not upgraded properly i suppose from this version??

After a lot of testing, ive found that if in the admin section, page control/delete new page, if i delete the allprods then when i look at my index page, it displays the default tags and not the ones set for index.php

Also If i delete the index page, then retry to add it, the tags are still default.

Does this happen to anyone else? if not any ideas whats up??

The header_tags have the correct chmodd and i can see them being added to the files.

You should be able to delete the All Products entry without any problems. However, if you have delted your index page and added it back in, you have broken the code since the index page is a psecial case. You will need to compare your includes/header_tags.php file with the original to fix that.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons