• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Header Tags Controller for Admin MS 2.2

Farrukh

Did you upload the clean_html_comments file? Did you make the change to the application_top file?

Jack

Many thanks for the reply - bad install on my part - all working fine now. Many thanks for the help. :)

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I am trying to use this on a site that is using Arabic as one of the language choices. I have 3 problems that I know of and was hoping someone would know what to do.

1. There is no way to add a second language to the meta tags. ie: Default title, Default Description, default keywords are in English. There is no way to choose a page to fill this out in Arabic. I realise you can just type it all out on the one page but the client is bugging about having 2 seperate pages plus...

2. The Arabic language file is not updating when you go into Fill Tags. I have checked it has the propper permissions, even went as far as to chmod them 777 to see if that would help.

3. The names of the products and categories have been added from admin in Arabic as well as English but when viewing the source code on a product or category page the code is messed up. ie: the page itself has the correct letters but the meta tag just has funky letters/code. Like الخرشوف comes out as ??????? which appears as square boxes in the browser window.

I have never used this contribution on a multilingual site before so I am stuck, and have never done a site in Arabic so I have 2 strikes against me trying to figure this out. Any suggestions are welcome. : )

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Hi,

I am trying to use this on a site that is using Arabic as one of the language choices. I have 3 problems that I know of and was hoping someone would know what to do.

1. There is no way to add a second language to the meta tags. ie: Default title, Default Description, default keywords are in English. There is no way to choose a page to fill this out in Arabic. I realise you can just type it all out on the one page but the client is bugging about having 2 seperate pages plus...

2. The Arabic language file is not updating when you go into Fill Tags. I have checked it has the propper permissions, even went as far as to chmod them 777 to see if that would help.

3. The names of the products and categories have been added from admin in Arabic as well as English but when viewing the source code on a product or category page the code is messed up. ie: the page itself has the correct letters but the meta tag just has funky letters/code. Like الخرشوف comes out as ??????? which appears as square boxes in the browser window.

I have never used this contribution on a multilingual site before so I am stuck, and have never done a site in Arabic so I have 2 strikes against me trying to figure this out. Any suggestions are welcome. : )

Wendy James

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

1 - There isn't a language selector for Text Control as there is for Fill Tags so you need to switch the admin language to Arabic and then fill in the tags. You will have to add teh header tags files to the admin/languages/arabic directory too.

2 - Can you change a different language, like German? If so, then the problem is probably with the way the Arabic language is setup in the shop.

3 - If you view the incliudes/languages/arabic/header_tags.php file, is the text correctly written in that file?

I installed it for a Japanese site so I know the code works for other languages. It sounds like maybe the files are just not setup correctly yet. The instructions don't mention what to do for other languages (which they should) but if you duplicate whatever it says to do for the english.php and english directory for the arabic.php and arabic directory, in both admin and the shop, it should work.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Got HTC working fine for catalog index, category, subcategory, product info pages, new products, and info pages except about_us.php page. HTC shows HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ABOUTUS for about_us.php

catalog/includes/filenames.php already has the file defined as in: define('FILENAME_ABOUT_US', 'about_us.php');

and I also noted that in admin > header tags > Text Control > I can see about_us page but it does not show up in admin > header tags > page control > delete page drop down box to enable deletion and rewrite ??

There must be a relationship here as to why the HTC is not working for this about us page. Are there any other definitions anywhere else for HTC to work for this about_us.php page?

It looks like your about us page is named about_us.php but it was set up in header tags as aboutus.php. You can edit the includes/header_tags.php and english/header_tags.php files to make ABOUTUS read ABOUT_US, or delete the page and try it again.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hello! Thank you for creating this contribution/module. This is what I believe I've been looking for. I sure when I get it to work I'll love it even more.

Right now, I have a error message. I added a test product and I get the page title, description and the other stuff I specify when I go to the new page.

However... if I click the German Language Icon, I get this error.

Warning: main(includes/languages/german/header_tags.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/vitam11/public_html/catalog/includes/header_tags.php on line 15

Warning: main(includes/languages/german/header_tags.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/vitam11/public_html/catalog/includes/header_tags.php on line 15

Fatal error: main(): Failed opening required 'includes/languages/german/header_tags.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/vitam11/public_html/catalog/includes/header_tags.php on line 15

Once I get that code then nothing on my catalog works anymore. Going back to the default page gives me the same error message on all pages.

However hitting the spanish language icon doesn't result in errors but I don't get the customize page headings like I do with the english page.

This only happens when I click the German page. I would assume I have some sort of error in the German pages.

I viewed my error in Firefox last night and doing a forced refresh on my browser didn't remove the error. However when I woke up with morning I was able to view my catalog again. However at work, I reproduced the error and the catalog is gone again. I then went to Internet Explorer and I could see my catalog. The catalog seemed fine. I then clicked the German page and I'm getting the same error I get with Firefox. As with Firefox I am unable to remove the error message.

What's the next step I take?

I am using: Header Tags Controller v2.5.9 Complete_en_es_fr

Right now, my catalog is at the beginning stages so I still have the default products there. The one I added can be accessed by selecint Usana from the drop down menu.

Thank you in advance.

My Site

The files you need for german are not included in the contribution. You will need to copy the file from the english directory into the german directory and then edit the text. It should work after that.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I understand your statement as:

Compare the English language directory and the German language directory. Find the files that aren't in the German one and copy them over from the English director.

I don't understand the edit the text part. What lines do I edit? Is it obvious which lines? eg. If the code has a reference to /language/english then change it to /language/german or something similar?

I assume that's it?

Thanks. =)

The files you need for german are not included in the contribution. You will need to copy the file from the english directory into the german directory and then edit the text. It should work after that.

Jack

Edited by Doombot

It looks like your about us page is named about_us.php but it was set up in header tags as aboutus.php. You can edit the includes/header_tags.php and english/header_tags.php files to make ABOUTUS read ABOUT_US, or delete the page and try it again.

Jack

Thx Jack, your clue to includes/header_tags.php has something. I found 3 intances for about_us page so I commented out 2 out of the three. As for, includes/languages/english/header_tags.php, it had correct refernce of about_us defined. Now HTC shows about us instead of HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ABOUTUS.

however, I can see in admin > header tags > Text Control > about_us page but it does not show up in admin > header tags > page control > delete page drop down box to enable deletion and rewrite ?? why is that?

also, is there supposed to be one instance for a page in includes/header_tags.php as I can see multiple instances for contact_us, shipping, conditions , and privacy ?

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I understand your statement as:

Compare the English language directory and the German language directory. Find the files that aren't in the German one and copy them over from the English director.

I don't understand the edit the text part. What lines do I edit? Is it obvious which lines? eg. If the code has a reference to /language/english then change it to /language/german or something similar?

I assume that's it?

Thanks. =)

The only file you will need to copy is the header_tags.php one. The text in it will be in English. You would want that to be in German - that's what I meant by edit it. Of course, if it is working correctly once you move the file, you can edit that text in admin->Header Tags->Text Control, providing you have also made the language changes for German in admin.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

however, I can see in admin > header tags > Text Control > about_us page but it does not show up in admin > header tags > page control > delete page drop down box to enable deletion and rewrite ?? why is that?

also, is there supposed to be one instance for a page in includes/header_tags.php as I can see multiple instances for contact_us, shipping, conditions , and privacy ?

I don't know why it isn't showing up in Page Control. Possibly because your includes file has a bad entry. There should only be one entry for each page.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The only file you will need to copy is the header_tags.php one. The text in it will be in English. You would want that to be in German - that's what I meant by edit it. Of course, if it is working correctly once you move the file, you can edit that text in admin->Header Tags->Text Control, providing you have also made the language changes for German in admin.

Jack

Thank you. The error is now gone. =)

I don't know why it isn't showing up in Page Control. Possibly because your includes file has a bad entry. There should only be one entry for each page.

Jack

10-4 Jack. Thx for the help. If I figure out how to get about_us page to delete, I will post it on this forum.

I don't know what I did with the settings, but its all messed up. All my product pages are showing the DEFAULT title, desc and keywords.

HOW CAN I GET BACK TO DISPLAY the orignal titles, desc and keyword which i entered while entering the products?

Please help!

Hi all,

I had this great contrib working fine until I accidently did something in Delete a New Page in Admin. I now have my store front and Whats New showing HEAD_TITLE_TAG_DEFAULT in the title bar.

Where/how can I get this back to the original?

Any info appreciated.

Regards, SHJ :-"

You will need to restore the includes/header_tags.php and english/header_tags.php files. If you have made changes to them that you don't want to lose, then you will need to compare the files with those from the archive using a program like WinMerge.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You will need to restore the includes/header_tags.php and english/header_tags.php files. If you have made changes to them that you don't want to lose, then you will need to compare the files with those from the archive using a program like WinMerge.

Jack

Jack,

Thanks for the reply.

I did as you advised, even rewrote the sql but no go.

Is it OK to hard code the headers for my problem pages?

Seems the only way to go at this point.

Cheers, SHJ :huh:

It depends on the pages. You wouldn't want to do that with the product_info page. But the problen really should be fixed since a bug like that can end up causing you more problems later on.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I am sure there must be a logical simple answer, but I have been wandering round this forum and other areas of the web for a couple of days and am no nearer an answer....

This contribution allows near finite control of a web sites title, description and keywords for each page

Please can someone explain to me what the big benefits of this are?

I can see the concept that the contribution will add folders and products automatically, so if the search engine algo takes that into account and the robot finds them great

But surely having the ability to control each page is a diminishing return. For example if your site sells widgets , there has to be a limit to the number of things that you can say about widgets and if I understand matters correctly there has to be some correlation between whats in the meta tags and whats on the page. I would have thought that you would have ended up with a title/description that says it all and therefore using the default title/description/keywords would say it all - or am I missing the blindingly obvious?

I would be very grateful if someone could give me some guidance

Thank you

Nossum

There are certain things you need to do to any site if you want it to do well in the search engine listings. One of those, as an example, is to have a unique titel for each page. Since oscommerce is dynamic and there is only one page for all of your products, if you used the default title, then every one of your products would have the same title, thus preventing your products from listing well. Also, if widgets were a highly sought-after product, there would probably be blue widgets, red widgets and widgets without wheels, to name a few. But what if you only sold blue widgets and I was looking for red ones? I would be taken to your site, assuming that I could find your listing, which is unlikely, and be disappointed that you don't have my product and leave. So drawing me to your site for a keyword that is not accurate didn't gain you anything. There are many other reasons for using Header Tags (or one of the other meta tags contributions for that matter). The fact is that Header Tags gives positive results time after time if setup properly. If you want to know why it works, you would need to study up on SEO techniques, which is a good idea anyway. But to get the benefits of it, just install and set it up. It will do the rest for you.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I have installed the latest vers 2591 of header tags. I have uploaded all the files and made all the ammendments. I get the additional sections in admin. I get no error messages and yet after I run Fill Tags I see no difference in the source code...the page title is no longer shown on the title bar. What simple thing have I missed? I took great care in the ammendments as I have Master Products installed and some of the ammendments needed ammending!!

Edited by Sierrab