• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Header Tags Controller for Admin MS 2.2

Farrukh

Problem solved,

For some reason when fill tag updated from admin, the character "\" was not included before the " ' " what I did was deleted all the "what's new" phrases and avoid any world using the " ' "

See the post a few positions up by Patrick. The change he suggests may fix the problem for you. You shouldn't have to avoid the use of apostrophes.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a store using CRELoaded which has the header tags controller installed, but you cannot access it via Admin as you would with a normal OSc site with the contribution added.

I have no complaints and it all works fine, but I would like to change the TITLE tag on the index.php page. This always defaults to the store name as seen in line 16 of header_tags.php

define('HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL', STORE_NAME);

I tried toggling line 21 of header_tags.php to off:

// index.php
define('HTTA_DEFAULT_ON','0'); // Include HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL in Title
define('HTKA_DEFAULT_ON','1'); // Include HEAD_KEY_TAG_ALL in Keywords
define('HTDA_DEFAULT_ON','1'); // Include HEAD_DESC_TAG_ALL in Description
define('HEAD_TITLE_TAG_DEFAULT', 'Pressure washers Karcher power washers steam cleaners');

in the hope that it would display the line you see above.

What am I doing wrong and how can I achieve this?

Header Tags works fine in CRE shops. They have the administrator contribution added though so you have to grant access to the files before they could be used.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi - I was wondering if someone could help. I've installed HTC and it is now not displaying any title, desc or keywords - I event turned on the reply email and that isn't being displayed. Can anyone give me a quick pointer to where I may have gone wrong?

Thanks

Andy

It sounds like you may have skipped the Install_Catalog.txt file completely. You should have stopped at that point, after on a few changes and see it working. Did you do that? Is that where you are stuck at?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack - I've gone through the entire install but it doesn't seem to be picking up the headertags section in STS or calling the header tags function - all the includes are there - just getting no output!

Andy

It sounds like you may have skipped the Install_Catalog.txt file completely. You should have stopped at that point, after on a few changes and see it working. Did you do that? Is that where you are stuck at?

Jack

Problem solved - in sts_display-putput.php I have a require_once for the includes/headertags.pgp file rather than require!!! Needle in a haystack - but got it.. thanks for the help.

Andy

Hi Jack - I've gone through the entire install but it doesn't seem to be picking up the headertags section in STS or calling the header tags function - all the includes are there - just getting no output!

Andy

Spent two hours to install the contribution,including one minor error. Then 5 minutes later, all the tags, keywords, descriptions are already updated, not sure whether I did right or now though, but it IS a really good good mod. VERY VERY easy to use.

Thank all who contribute to this wonderful mod.

I just noticed today that when google shows the search results with my site on it...it only show the title page of www.ShaShinKi.com.

I checked my product description page...none of them have keywords or meta field in it...

Browsed through the contribution searching for META...and this contribution looks like with best and most support. So I guess it should be the best...

Am going to install it now...hope everything goes smoothly...

Best regards,

Koh Kho King

Hi guys. I've just installed 2.5.6. It works!

One slight configuration error, maybe?

In product_info.php the page title appears as:

"Item_name Store_Name :"

I want it to say:

"Store_Name : Item_name"

How can I do this? :)

Others have mentioned wanting to do this (read back a few pages). It is a mistake to do so since it will negatively effect your index position. In fact, in most cases, the store name should not be used at all. If you want to do it though, you will need to change the code in includes/header_tags.php to include the store name.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I have a very curious issue, and read through all 90+ pages of this thread, it is not covered. After getting the contribution to work, I decided to test the admin section to see if adding/deleting products or categories would be a problem. Somehow, in doing this the catelog/includes/header_tag file is re-written and all tags go to the default as found in languages/english/header_tags. When I FTP the file from the original contribution ZIP file, and do absolutely nothing else, the tags work fine. I have not been able to replicate the problem although it has happened twice before I realized what was going on, but am wondering what might be happening?

Also, I noticed that when the correct product tags are present, the default tags are appended after the product tag. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

Thanks for the help, contribution looks like it is a big winner.

Others have mentioned wanting to do this (read back a few pages). It is a mistake to do so since it will negatively effect your index position. In fact, in most cases, the store name should not be used at all. If you want to do it though, you will need to change the code in includes/header_tags.php to include the store name.

Jack

Hi Jack,

Thanks as always for a relevant and to-the-point reply! :) I've disabled the store name for product_info.php.

At the moment page rankings are really important for me.

Cheers! :)

I have a very curious issue, and read through all 90+ pages of this thread, it is not covered. After getting the contribution to work, I decided to test the admin section to see if adding/deleting products or categories would be a problem. Somehow, in doing this the catelog/includes/header_tag file is re-written and all tags go to the default as found in languages/english/header_tags. When I FTP the file from the original contribution ZIP file, and do absolutely nothing else, the tags work fine. I have not been able to replicate the problem although it has happened twice before I realized what was going on, but am wondering what might be happening?

Also, I noticed that when the correct product tags are present, the default tags are appended after the product tag. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

Thanks for the help, contribution looks like it is a big winner.

The only known bug is when the default title or meta tags in Text Control are altered and saved, the file becomes corrupted on some servers. Other than that, no one has reported any other problems. So my guess is that you ran into the default text problem or your installation of Header Tags has a problem. As for the default tags being appended, uncheck the HT.. boxes for that page in Text Control.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The only known bug is when the default title or meta tags in Text Control are altered and saved, the file becomes corrupted on some servers. Other than that, no one has reported any other problems. So my guess is that you ran into the default text problem or your installation of Header Tags has a problem
Where should I start to look. It just happened again, but this time I noticed it happening after I had left the whole thing alone. I added and deleted products and categories with no change in the tags, everything working fine. I then went to lunch, came back and the header_tags file was changed and only default tags. I did a comparison of the file in use and the original from the contribution and basically lines 155 through 336 are being deleted. Any ideas?

for those that have asked, Ultimate URLs works with header tags contoller, it took me a few go arounds, I think mostly user error, but I finally got the 2 to work. if you need any help let me know and I will try my best. I am trying to learn php while building my site.

Nate

Hi all

I have just updated Richard Fielder Admin mod to be compatible with Milestone 2.2. Its a simple update

let me know if anyone finds any problems.

Get it here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,207

Hi,

I have set my Oscommerce websites with all the products etc. Is there any precautions I need to take to iinstall Header Tags Controller now.

Thanks

Isaac

Hi all

I have just updated Richard Fielder Admin mod to be compatible with Milestone 2.2. Its a simple update

let me know if anyone finds any problems.

Get it here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,207

Hi,

I have set my Oscommerce websites with all the products etc. Is there any precautions I need to take to iinstall Header Tags Controller now.

Thanks

Isaac

Where should I start to look. It just happened again, but this time I noticed it happening after I had left the whole thing alone. I added and deleted products and categories with no change in the tags, everything working fine. I then went to lunch, came back and the header_tags file was changed and only default tags. I did a comparison of the file in use and the original from the contribution and basically lines 155 through 336 are being deleted. Any ideas?
There is no way for Header Tags to make any changes without you telling it to. My guess is that the changes you made got hung up in your, or your hosts, cache system so you didn't see the changes right away. You will need to try to isolate when the problem happens. If you can cause it to fail everytime you click on a certain link, change a setting or whatever, then it can be traced down. Otherwise, you would just be shooting in the dark.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

Thanks

Isaac

For any contribution, you should back up your files and database. Once that is done, follow the instructions, especially the part about checking your site when you are finished with the Install_Catalog.txt file. Many people skip this step and then have difficulty finding the problem if it doesn't work.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

my advice when installing contribution is that DONT DO IT WHEN U R TIRED! You will end up missing here and there and messing up your installation.

HTC is not a simple installation...need quite some time to read through the instruction and change lots of files...

I am happy that mine works now...and it is a good contribution :thumbsup:

Best regards,

Koh Kho King

I have some problems...

When I click on my index page, the title shows: HEAD_TITLE_TAG_DEFAULT and:

headtag.jpg

It also happens to one of my About Us page:

http://shashinki.com/shop/about_us.php

My website is at http://shashinki.com/shop

Any idea why?

Many thanks in advance :)

Best regards,

Koh Kho King

I have some problems...

When I click on my index page, the title shows: HEAD_TITLE_TAG_DEFAULT and:

headtag.jpg

It also happens to one of my About Us page:

http://shashinki.com/shop/about_us.php

My website is at http://shashinki.com/shop

Any idea why?

Many thanks in advance :)

It means you missed a define somewhere. See the englsh/header_tags.php file for what is needed.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Warning: file(public_html/catalog/includes/languages/english/header_tags.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/gbcsorg/public_html/catalog/admin/header_tags_english.php on line 58

Anyone had this problem before?

The only fault I am aware of is that on "Text Control" I only see the default scetion, not the sections for each page.

What so I need to change?

Graham