• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Header Tags Controller for Admin MS 2.2

Farrukh

Surfalot,

I did not personally install this contribution...are u suggesting that if the contribution was installed completerly that i would not have this problem? Can you direct me a bit more please to the specific part in install_catalog.txt that im missing?

Any help would be much appreciated.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is your shop located in the catalog directory? If not, you will need to edit the paths in the header tags files in admin.

Jack

Hi Jack,

Yes it is in the default catalog folder, strange thing is although i get this warning message, it seems that the contribution is functioning normally!

Can you direct me a bit more please to the specific part in install_catalog.txt that im missing?

Yes, the install_catalog.txt has a number of changes to the index.php file specifically. After the "changes to all files" section, there's a change to the stylesheet.css, then following that are the directions that do not seem to have been completed.

Edited by surfalot

That depends on which updates you're looking for. The page specific header tags are saved in a file and updated with file manipulation, no queries there. Category and product specific header tags are stored in the DB. Your best examples for those queries are in the file: header_tags_fill_tags.php. This is the code that updates all header tags from the product names and category names.

Yes, it would be like the fill tags but I'm looking for a simple sql query to do the job from phpMyAdmin. Header Tags Controller conflicted with something in my hacked up shop, so I removed some parts. Now I need to update a bunch of products I'll be loading over the next week or so and I remeber using a simple query once before to do the job. It was given somewhere in the forum or in a Contrib, but I can't find it.

I'll look at that file in the contrib release and see.

Ok, so here's where I think it is:

if ($updateDB)
	  tep_db_query("update products_description set products_head_title_tag='".addslashes($products_tags['products_name'])."', products_head_desc_tag = '". addslashes(strip_tags($products_tags['products_name']))."', products_head_keywords_tag =  '" . addslashes($products_tags['products_name']) . "' where products_id = '" . $products_tags['products_id'] . "' and language_id='". $langID ."'");
  }  
}

can anyone translate to simple sql for me?

OK, so this looks right and seems to work on my test db:

UPDATE products_description set products_head_title_tag= products_name, products_head_desc_tag = products_name, products_head_keywords_tag = products_name

Does this look right to anyone?

No, all of the new ones as well as some I'll be changing for seo. I ran the query a couple of ways on my test db and it seems to work. It seems to leave ones alone that are already populated with the tags.

If you have the version with Fill Tags in the admin section, it will selectively fill the tags as you need. If not, you can just grab the code from that file.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I've installed this contrib for two seperate clients. I'm having a visual problem with one of them though:

http://tekrispower.com/inverters/index.php/cPath/22

If you notice...the category title is lower than the category image. The category title appears as a result of what I've entered in the Header Tags Categories Description. How do I get that to appear level with the category image?

Thanks.

That's not the category title, it is the category description and is where it should be. You need to go into admin->catalog, click on the catalog and edit it. Then fill in the category title field. Or just run fill tags.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Okay here's an interesting problem that's driving me crazy: only the default values are listed in the online shop.

Situation:

* I have everything installed (and have checked it twice). [this is good]

* The "Meta Tag Information" fields appear in the Admin "Catalog" area under each specific product. [this is good]

* The "Meta Tag Information" fields are even listed in the SQL database (products_description table, I think). [this is good]

* The Header Tag Controller once worked correctly! [that was very good!]

BUT! This is the problem:

--> Now the ONLY headers that appear in the shop are the default values. No matter what the "Meta Tag Information" fields say, or how many times I click "Fill Tags," or how many times I use "easy populate" to update the products, ONLY the default info appears in the shop. :(

(Also, I've noticed that the "Meta Tag Information" which does appear in the Admin "Catalog" area is outdated... i.e., it doesn't match the newer data that's in the SQL database. This may be related to the above problem, not sure.)

Can somebody please point me in the right direction to fix this? Pretty please? :)

did you maybe delete/restore the index.php entry in the HTC admin configuration? The first thing I would look at would be the catalog/includes/header_tags.php file. back it up and compare to or restore the original found in the HTC package.

did you maybe delete/restore the index.php entry in the HTC admin configuration? The first thing I would look at would be the catalog/includes/header_tags.php file. back it up and compare to or restore the original found in the HTC package.

Hi Todd! Thanks for answering. I've compared the file you mentioned line-by-line, but unfortunately they're identical. Do you have any other ideas? *looks hopeful*

I'm a little confused. I just installed the "header tags" contrib and am trying to individual category names in the title tag. This doesn't seem to be working though I can change the universal titles in "text control."

How do I get it to display the category name (or individual name) in the title tag

Shade and Sweet Water

Chris Czerniak

have you tried the Fill Tags item in the admin? or gone to the categories/products manager and entered specific text there?

Derrr... thanks. Just had to mess with the fill tags.

Shade and Sweet Water

Chris Czerniak

Hi

I have installed the header tags contribution but it doesn't quite seem to be behaving as I would expect. I don't get any error messages, but the following things happen which I don't expect:

- In the admin tool when I enter data for a category, I can enter data in the header tags fields, but then when I save the data, it disappears, and what's more, the image that had been saved with the category also disappears

- When I use the header tags section directly under admin, and go to "Text Control", I can enter new data into "Default Title", "Default Descriptions" and "Default Keywords" and then click update, but the only one that changes is "Default Title" - the other two revert back to what they were before - "OSCommerce ..." etc

- The language icon appears as a red cross

- When I use "Fill Tags", is there an easy way to check that things are changing?

- Finally, is there an easy way to check that header tags is functioning as intended? I have tried viewing the source of the pages but not quite sure what to be looking for.

It's worth mentioning that I had an error when I tried to install header tags first of all, but was advised to carry on, as per this post:

My original posting

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers

Ben

- In the admin tool when I enter data for a category, I can enter data in the header tags fields, but then when I save the data, it disappears, and what's more, the image that had been saved with the category also disappears
This sounds like a mistake in the categories.php file. Try using the one that comes with the contribution. If the problem goes away, then you will need to compare the files to find your mistake.
- When I use the header tags section directly under admin, and go to "Text Control", I can enter new data into "Default Title", "Default Descriptions" and "Default Keywords" and then click update, but the only one that changes is "Default Title" - the other two revert back to what they were before - "OSCommerce ..." etc
This has been reported by others but I can't reproduce the problem. It may be server related or maybe I am using a diferent version that doesn't have the problem. In the latter case, download the 2.5.5 version dated Sept and try replacing your admin files with those in the contribution. If that doesn't fix it, then I don't have an answer for you.
- The language icon appears as a red cross
You are most lilkely missing the image file.
- When I use "Fill Tags", is there an easy way to check that things are changing?
Look at one of your products in admin->catalog.
- Finally, is there an easy way to check that header tags is functioning as intended? I have tried viewing the source of the pages but not quite sure what to be looking for.
Change the title for the index page, go to your site, refersh the browser and see if the new title is there.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi all,

this has been posted so many times before, but I have never seen an answer to it.

I have 3 languages active, German, English and GB (yes, it sometimes makes sense). Because some languages were deleted over the time, I now have 1=English, 2=German and 5=GB

When I tried to fill the tags using header_tags_fill_tags.php, I noticed that nothing happened as it should. When I filled German I got new tags in English, when I tried GB nothimg happened.

I now edited header_tags_fill_tags.php and made the following changes:

In Line 26 I deleted the comment signs AND changed the language number to 1, 2 and 5. After each change I filled the Englisch Tags, and had, one change after the other, all the languages filled.

It works, but it is no real solution. Any suggestions, how to make this a little more elegant?

Not because it is difficult we don't dare to do it, but because we don't dare to do it, it is difficult. (Seneca)

So you change in line 26 this:

$languages_array[] = array('id' => $i + 1, //$languages[$i]['id'],

to this:

$languages_array[] = array('id' => $languages[$i]['id'],

Then ran Fill Tags for each language by selecting the language in the dropdown on the Fill Tags utility itself?

I'm guessing that line needed to be made because your languages are not number sequentially. Is that true?

Seems to work good on my test site with the original test data (which is sequential language numbers)

What additional elegance were you looking for? Did you want it to do all languages at one time?