osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Header Tags Controller for Admin MS 2.2

Farrukh

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do your mean your product pages are not showing the product name in the title? Does you home page have the title of Home (unless you changed it)? If the answer to both of theseis yes, then did you run fill tags? If not, then you will need to provide more information.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Do your mean your product pages are not showing the product name in the title? Does you home page have the title of Home (unless you changed it)? If the answer to both of theseis yes, then did you run fill tags? If not, then you will need to provide more information.

Jack

Hi yes its this site My Webpage it shows the web address we ran the fill tags and they all have them filled, what should be in the header tags bit via admin?

Hello Jack,

I installed your Header Tag Controller on my website on which I also use SE friendly URL's contribution.

I'm experiencing same problem as reported in this thread by other users.

The category meta tags are being populated correctly which you can see here

http://http://adrenalinefilms.ca/Mountain-Biking-DVD/

but doesn't work for individual products (defaults are populated instead):

http://http://adrenalinefilms.ca/Back-in-the-Saddle/

It works OK with the old style URL's:

http://adrenalinefilms.ca/product_info.php/products_id/100

but not when you use the SE friendly URL's like so:

http://adrenalinefilms.ca/Science-of-Triat...Lecture-Series/

Does anyone know if there is a way of making your contribution work with the SE friendly URL's contribution. I think the problem is in teh fact that SE friendly URL contribution uses index.php to display products instead of product_info.php. So is there any way to make the header tag controller work?

thanks!

Hi yes its this site My Webpage it shows the web address we ran the fill tags and they all have them filled, what should be in the header tags bit via admin?

The site for that link isn't working so I can't look at it.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

This is my problem:  when I go in the administration and click on the link:  Header Tags the link goes to the page http://www.mysite.it/admin/FILENAME_HEADER...x=header%20tags

instead that

to the page http://www.mysite.it/admin/header_tags_con...x=header%20tags

What must make?  :blink:

You missed one of the steps in the Install_Admin.txt file. The code has to be added to the filenames.php file so that it understands where to look.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

Great contribution thanks for sharing it!

Ok i have upgraded from 2.3.7 to 2.5.3. After much hair pulling i believe i am awfully close. I have compared and changed all the files with those in the package and think im pretty close. Ive run all the update .SQL files and everything 'appears' to be fine. HOWEVER:

Q. 1. Do i have to run fill tags? I would prefer it if the the existing tags were left alone, however i believe because i havent done this it is the reason for my categories and subcategories and description headings not showing up on index.

If i create a category and put in the details the category name shows up as it should - however i am not seeing the description come up on index.php below the category name. Existing categories can be edited but no changes are reflected.

All the meta tags appear to be doing their thing - its just the visible stuff. No errors or anything going on, just not quite right.

Any thing glaringly obvious i might be missing?

Cheers & thanks!

And with a 9 in 10 search rate success the no.1 returned Oscommerce forum hit:

"The administrator has enabled flood control - please try again in 30 seconds."

Never fails.

Every time.

No, sorry. No ideas. The language part of the contribution is new and, while I did test it, it was a very limited test. No one else has mentioned a problem so I assume it is working correctly but there is the possibility that it is not and no one has tried it. So installing it into a new shop (just copy/paste) is probably the best way to be sure.

Jack

Hi jack

I still get the problem even on a new shop, so I started from the begining and went up version by version to understand the evolution of HTC. I had success to install until 2.3 and so far seems OK with some modification found in other version.

1) The thing is when I use fill_tags for the product description it works and it uses the function strip_tags but this leaves blank lines into the description, I tried to use all kind of commands like str_replace etc... but since I am not a programmer I have a hard time to place this somewhere. any Idee ???

$text = preg_replace('<*>',' ',text);
$text = str_replace('chr(13)','/n',text);

2) Where can you find help on osc programming, because commands like "tep_db_query" is not a thing you can find in google for php. So I have a hard time to understand all this.

Hi I have just installed the contribution and it seemed to all go good and I can get in to the Header Tag part of admin and add pages but it has the below error at the top of the page. Any advise would be great.

Warning: file(../includes/languages/english/header_tags.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /mnt/web_i/d14/s42/b0244bb2/www/nfoscomm/catalog/admin/header_tags_controller.php on line 233

Thanks

Dave

Hi Jack,

Ok i have upgraded from 2.3.7 to 2.5.3. After much hair pulling i believe i am awfully close. I have compared and changed all the files with those in the package and think im pretty close. Ive run all the update .SQL files and everything 'appears' to be fine. HOWEVER:

Q. 1. Do i have to run fill tags? I would prefer it if the the existing tags were left alone, however i believe because i havent done this it is the reason for my categories and subcategories and description headings not showing up on index.

If i create a category and put in the details the category name shows up as it should - however i am not seeing the description come up on index.php below the category name. Existing categories can be edited but no changes are reflected.

All the meta tags appear to be doing their thing - its just the visible stuff. No errors or anything going on, just not quite right.

Cheers & thanks!

No, you don't have to run fill tags. It just provides a quick way to fill all of the tags. If you don't run it, then none will be populated unless you do it yourself. So you need to edit each category to add the desired text. The category description won't show up if one does not exist. It is a different field than the category title so you need to fill that in too.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi jack

I still get the problem even on a new shop, so I started from the begining and went up version by version to understand the evolution of HTC. I had success to install until 2.3 and so far seems OK with some modification found in other version.

1) The thing is when I use fill_tags for the product description it works and it uses the function strip_tags but this leaves blank lines into the description, I tried to use all kind of commands like str_replace etc... but since I am not a programmer I have a hard time to place this somewhere. any Idee ???

$text = preg_replace('<*>',' ',text);
$text = str_replace('chr(13)','/n',text);

2) Where can you find help on osc programming, because commands like "tep_db_query" is not a thing you can find in google for php. So I have a hard time to understand all this.

The tep functions are just wrapper functions (they "wrap" code around php functions) in most cases. If you look up the function in includes/functions, you should be able to see the actual php function that is being called.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi I have just installed the contribution and it seemed to all go good and I can get in to the Header Tag part of admin and add pages but it has the below error at the top of the page. Any advise would be great.

Warning: file(../includes/languages/english/header_tags.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /mnt/web_i/d14/s42/b0244bb2/www/nfoscomm/catalog/admin/header_tags_controller.php on line 233

Thanks

Dave

It looks like you missed a file on the installation. See the includes/languages/english/ directory in the contribuiton and you should see a file named header_tags.php. Copy that to the same location on your server. You probably missed copying the whole includes directory so you might want to check that.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack,

Cheers & thanks!

OK for everyone else who has been staring at code for too long! Of course this was my stupid fault. If you find you are missing category headings after installing this contribution dont do what i just did!

The First change in index.php

if ($category_depth == 'nested') {

$category_query = tep_db_query("select cd.categories_name, c.categories_image, cd.categories_htc_title_tag, cd.categories_htc_description from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");

Try not to delete this line below it when you do your cut and paste! DOH!

$category = tep_db_fetch_array($category_query);

Thought id pass this on as a possible fault to look for when faced with the symptom of no category headings or descriptions showing up.

:blush:

Never fails.

Every time.

The tep functions are just wrapper functions (they "wrap" code around php functions) in most cases. If you look up the function in includes/functions, you should be able to see the actual php function that is being called.

Jack

Hi jack

I found how to execute a "str_replace" for my empty lines in HTC description field, but did not find at all what kind of caracter is stored in the database for the cariage return (if it is one).

tried all kind like: " \n, chr(10), chr(13) etc..." I know these are different between windows linux and mac.

1) does anyone have an idea how lines are stored in the database ????

2) did never anyone ran into those empty lines ????

It looks like you missed a file on the installation. See the includes/languages/english/ directory in the contribuiton and you should see a file named header_tags.php. Copy that to the same location on your server. You probably missed copying the whole includes directory so you might want to check that.

Jack

Thanks for your quick reply I have chacked this file and I know it is there as I have been editing it. The strange thing is all the files are there and the tags are showing on the pages so I dont know if I should just ignore the message as it seems to be working fine but I am just not sure if there is something going wrong that could affect my site that I dont know about.

Thanks again

Hi,

I?ve seen this problem twice in the thread, but no response to fix it. I`m trying to install HTC and everything?s fine, except that I cannot change the default description and default keywords, however I?m able to change the default title.

Does anyone had this problem and have a fix for it?

Thanks

Claudio

Hi,

I?ve seen this problem twice in the thread, but no response to fix it. I`m trying to install HTC and everything?s fine, except that I cannot change the default description and default keywords, however I?m able to change the default title.

Thanks

Claudio

I dont really know much about this contribution as I am having a few problems but I changed my defaults by editing the includes/languages/english/header_tags.php but I had to leave the tags blank that were in under the index.php for the to show up correct.

I changed in the header_tags file too, but I think once you have it in your store, you should be able to use it properly - well, just as for everyone, I think. I?ll give it a second round later.

I?m trying to prevent the user to define header tags when the page name is not entered. I think the best way to do this is to use the check missing pages dropdown as the way to enter the page name.

Is anyone working on it, too?

Claudio

Greetings again forum,

Jack thanks for your fast response to my query earlier.

Heres another one: All is working as it should be - but all my descriptions are being pulled in with the first letter capitalized on every word. :blink:

????? Any idea what might cause that and where it is located? Looks a bit odd and i know the search engines frown on capitalizing all the first letters.

Cheers.

Never fails.

Every time.

Thanks for your quick reply I have chacked this file and I know it is there as I have been editing it. The strange thing is all the files are there and the tags are showing on the pages so I dont know if I should just ignore the message as it seems to be working fine but I am just not sure if there is something going wrong that could affect my site that I dont know about.

Thanks again

There shouldn't be any errors like that. It means that that part of admin will not function correctly for Header Tags. If ou don't need that section, I suppose you could ignore it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack excuse but I have modified the rows filenames.php and it does not change nothing

Try signing into admin. Then go to the url string and clear everythihng after admin/. Then add the following to it: header_tags_controller.php and press enter. Does the page display properly then?

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

Thanks

Claudio

Do you mean the categories desciption? If so, there is a mistake in the categories.php file in admin. Try replacing that file with the one from the contribution and seeingit that problem goes away. You will need to swap the file back out since it is probably not compatible with your shop, but you can test it this way.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Greetings again forum,

Jack thanks for your fast response to my query earlier.

Heres another one: All is working as it should be - but all my descriptions are being pulled in with the first letter capitalized on every word.  :blink:

????? Any idea what might cause that and where it is located? Looks a bit odd and i know the search engines frown on capitalizing all the first letters.

Cheers.

Descriptions for ...? If you mean your cateogires descriptions, then they should be Capitalized. That is proper synax and is not penailzed by the SE's.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons