• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Header Tags Controller for Admin MS 2.2

Farrukh

The code for displaying the home page, the products and the categories is all in the index.php file. That's why it doesn't have a separate section in includes/header_tags.php. Up until now, it wasn't needed and may still not be. Everyone has a preferred way of how they want the title displayed and will usually end up editing the code to suit that I think.

The reason the text in the title is running together is because I forgot to space them apart. So in includes/header_tags.php, there are six places where this needs to be done.

In includes/header_tags.php, find the section that starts with

// INDEX.PHP
and ends with
break;
and replace the whole section with the following:
// INDEX.PHP
 case (strstr($_SERVER['PHP_SELF'],FILENAME_DEFAULT) or strstr($PHP_SELF,FILENAME_DEFAULT) ):
   $the_category_query = tep_db_query("select cd.categories_name, c.category_head_title_tag, c.category_head_desc_tag, c.category_head_keywords_tag from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.categories_id = '" . (int)$current_category_id . "' and cd.language_id = '" . (int)$languages_id . "'");
   $the_category = tep_db_fetch_array($the_category_query);

$the_manufacturers_query= tep_db_query("select manufacturers_name from " . TABLE_MANUFACTURERS . " where manufacturers_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'] . "'");
   $the_manufacturers = tep_db_fetch_array($the_manufacturers_query);

$showCatTags = false;
   if ($category_depth == 'nested' || ($category_depth == 'products' || isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id']))) 
     $showCatTags = true;

if (HTDA_DEFAULT_ON=='1') {
     if ($showCatTags == true) {
       $the_desc= $the_category['category_head_desc_tag'] . ' '. HEAD_DESC_TAG_DEFAULT . ' ' . HEAD_DESC_TAG_ALL;
     } else {
       $the_desc= HEAD_DESC_TAG_DEFAULT . ' ' . HEAD_DESC_TAG_ALL;
     }
   } else {
       $the_desc= $the_category['category_head_desc_tag'] . ' '. HEAD_DESC_TAG_DEFAULT;
     } else {
       $the_desc= HEAD_DESC_TAG_DEFAULT;
     }  
   }

if (HTKA_DEFAULT_ON=='1') {
       $the_key_words= $the_category['category_head_keywords_tag'] . ' '. HEAD_KEY_TAG_ALL . ' ' . HEAD_KEY_TAG_DEFAULT;
     } else {
       $the_key_words= HEAD_KEY_TAG_ALL . ' ' . HEAD_KEY_TAG_DEFAULT;
     }  
   } else {
        $the_key_words= $the_category['category_head_keywords_tag'] . ' ' .HEAD_KEY_TAG_DEFAULT;
     } else {
        $the_key_words= HEAD_KEY_TAG_DEFAULT;
     }   
   }

if (HTTA_DEFAULT_ON=='1') {
       $the_title= $the_category['category_head_title_tag'] . ' ' . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_DEFAULT . " " . $the_category['categories_name'] . $the_manufacturers['manufacturers_name'] . ' - ' . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL;
     } else {
       $the_title= HEAD_TITLE_TAG_DEFAULT . " " . $the_category['categories_name'] . $the_manufacturers['manufacturers_name'] . ' - ' . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL;
     }
   } else {
       $the_title= $the_category['category_head_title_tag'] . ' ' . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_DEFAULT;
     } else {
       $the_title= HEAD_TITLE_TAG_DEFAULT;
     }  
   }

break;

All that was changed was the addition of a space ( ' ' ) in the six places where the header_tags title is used. If you don't want your shops title to be displayed when the categories are showing, change

$the_title= $the_category['category_head_title_tag'] . ' ' . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_DEFAULT . " " . $the_category['categories_name'] . $the_manufacturers['manufacturers_name'] . ' - ' . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL;

to

$the_title= $the_category['category_head_title_tag'] . ' ' .  $the_category['categories_name'] . $the_manufacturers['manufacturers_name'] . ' - ' . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL;

Let me know if this doesn't help.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...The reason the text in the title is running together is because I forgot to space them apart.  So in includes/header_tags.php, there are six places where this needs to be done. 

...If you don't want your shops title to be displayed when the categories are showing, change

to

$the_title= $the_category['category_head_title_tag'] . ' ' .  $the_category['categories_name'] . $the_manufacturers['manufacturers_name'] . ' - ' . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL;

Let me know if this doesn't help.

Jack

Hi Jack,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Thanks for fixing the spacing.

Your fix for not showing my shop's title when the categories are showing didn't quite seem to do the trick (or not in the way I wanted it to), but I did some modifications of the code and changed it to this:

if (HTTA_DEFAULT_ON=='1') {

if (empty($the_category['category_head_title_tag'])) {

$the_title= $the_category['categories_name'] . " - " . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL;

} else {

$the_title= $the_category['category_head_title_tag'] . " - " . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL;

}

} else {

$the_title= $the_category['categories_name'] . " - " . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_ALL;

}

} else {

if (empty($the_category['category_head_title_tag'])) {

$the_title= $the_category['categories_name'] . " - " . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_DEFAULT;

} else {

$the_title= $the_category['category_head_title_tag'] . " - " . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_DEFAULT;

}

} else {

$the_title= $the_category['categories_name'] . " - " . HEAD_TITLE_TAG_DEFAULT;;

}

}

So now my shop shows either the head_title_tag_all or the head_title_tag_default (depending on what I want) only on the index page (home page) and then will show either the category_head_title_tag or the category name (also depending on what I have it set at) in front of the head_title_tag_all or the head_title_tag_default . So for instance... I would have Baby Stroller Covers @ strollersunshades.ca for my index page and then Single Rain Covers - Baby Stroller Covers @ strollersunshades.ca. So not too bad for now... might end up changing my mind as to what I want displayed when... but at least (thanks to you) I now know where to do it (I am in no way a coder and really don't know any php... but not afraid to play around with stuff and learn as I go).

Oh, and I added in some if statements to make it so that if the category title tag is left blank that the category name is displayed instead... as I found that under certain circumstances when that field was left blank, that it would just end up showing the url for that page as the title. There is probably a better way to do this (but as I said, I am not a coder) but it is working for me so far. Haven't played around much with the category keyword and description tags yet , but will let you know if I come across anything else of interest.

Oh, and it seems because the index page and category pages (at least the way my store is set up) all seem to use the same pieces of code in \includes\header_tags.php

it seems hard to only show the category title as only the category name or the category title without having either head_title_tag_default or head_title_tag_all also included (is there a simply way to work around this?).

I think for a lot of people they may only want to use the category title tag or the category heading as the category page title without anything else attached, especially as some people want to keep their title lengths under so many characters for SEO purposes and for other reasons... so this might be a good thing to add to the contribution at some point so that people have a choice regarding how to handle the category titles.

Oh, and I think this is only my second posting on the forum so don't be too hard on me if I am being stupid about something.

Thanks,

Kathy

That's great. Good job. Sounds like you may be a coder but just don't know it yet. :) Making the changes as you did is a major step for a lot of people so give yourself a pat on the back.

You can control some what is displayed by changing the setting of HTTA_DEFAULT_ON in includes/languages/english/header_tags.php.

You can gain more control over how the titles display on the index page by adding an i statement. The index.php page has three sections to it: the home page, the categories and the products. So you could do something like

if ($category_depth == 'nested') {
PLACE CATEGORY SPECIFIC TITLE CODE HERE
} elseif ($category_depth == 'products' || isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id'])) {
PLACE PRODUCTS SPECIFIC TITLE CODE HERE
else {
PLACE HOME PAGE CODE HERE
}

I'm not sure this is the best approach, doing this off the top of my head, but it will allow you to do what you want. If you need help with it, let me know.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

That's great.  Good job.  Sounds like you may be a coder but just don't know it yet. :)  Making the changes as you did is a major step for a lot of people so give yourself a pat on the back.

You can control some what is displayed by changing the setting of ...

Jack

Thanks Jack for the vote of confidence. Just alot of trial and error really so far and playing around with existing code, but picking things up as I go.

Thanks for the ideas and advice! :D

Kathy

I've just upload a new version. I added a function that allows for easier adding of code for new pages. The block of code for a page entry in includes/header_tags.php previously required about 15 lines. This reduces it to about a third of that.

It is necessary to install this upgrade for HTC to work. But if you find yourself adding the code for new pages a lot, this upgrade will save you some time.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I have 2.3.9 installed.

I noticed for example...In a Category: Lets say Category1. Now without doing anything, the Title of the page is Category1 - 'MyStoreName': -..etc

Now after I go to Admin Side and go to that Category...and I go to edit that category (Category1) ...the first box:

Header Tags Category Title

Lets say I give Header Tags Category Title: Category1

Well I notice, now that the page says Category1 in the TopLeft of the MiddleSection near the Category1 Image....which is fine, however in the Title of the Page(Browser Title), it now says:

Category1 Category1 - 'MyStoreName': - ..etc etc...

How can I correct this?

You have the option set to display the default title for the index page in includes/languages/english/header_tags.php. This is the same problem mentioned above by Kathy. For right now, you can make the change she did or turn off the option to show the title. That is not a good solution though so I will change the code to make it work for all instances, hopefully this week.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

You have the option set to display the default title for the index page in includes/languages/english/header_tags.php.  This is the same problem mentioned above by Kathy.  For right now, you can make the change she did or turn off the option to show the title.  That is not a good solution though so I will change the code to make it work for all instances, hopefully this week.

Jack

Oh wow. Thanks Jack. I apologize I didnt read above.

NP. :) I just uploaded a new version that should fix this problem. I've added another control variable to includes/languages/english/header_tags.php and re-wrote the code for the index section in includes/header_tags.php. You'll need to copy those changes to your files or it you will overwrite your current settings.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

In both version 2.4.1 in the includes/header_tags.php file under the // INDEX.PHP section (approx line 75 onwards) the variables

$the_title

$the_key_words

$the_desc

are used instead of $tags_array['desc'] etc. which breaks the display of index.php (ie no title is displayed)

These vars are also wrong in the Install_Category_Update file in the v2.4.0 rar file

Does this need fixing? or am i missing something here.

I have installed by copying in the files from the HTC rar, updating db and then letting STS do the rest.

-ciaron

Edited by ciaron

Thanks for pointing that out. You are correct, it is not right. I was testing the changes on an older version to be sure it was compatible and got the code mixed up. I just uploaded a new version that hopefully has everything as it should be.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I'm using Category Description contribution and while installing the header tag controller, I've noticed a few problems.

First is the input boxes for the tags will only show in the admin right column when display category descriptions is set to false.

Second is the pageheading part in index.php, my code is the following.

<td class="pageHeading">
            <?php 
              if ( (ALLOW_CATEGORY_DESCRIPTIONS == 'true') && (tep_not_null($category['categories_heading_title'])) ) {
                echo $category['categories_heading_title'];
              } else {
                echo HEADING_TITLE . '\'' . $tree[$current_category_id]['name'] . '\'';
              }
            ?>
           </td>
           <td class="pageHeading" align="right"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . $category['categories_image'], $category['categories_name'], HEADING_IMAGE_WIDTH, HEADING_IMAGE_HEIGHT); ?></td>
         </tr>
   <?php if ( (ALLOW_CATEGORY_DESCRIPTIONS == 'true') && (tep_not_null($category['categories_description'])) ) { ?>
  <tr>
           <td align="left" colspan="2" class="category_desc"><?php echo $category['categories_description']; ?></td>
  </tr>

what would be the best way to alter that part of the code?

Also if someone has added this contribution to a store with category descriptions, where did you put your code to display when it's set to true or false?

Any help would be much appreciated thanks

Hi.

I have the same problem as 'Spots', on page 26 of this thread. Since installing HTC I've lost my product title. The field in which it is entered in admin has disappeared, and so the product title itself is no longer present for the only two products I've edited since installing. Like 'Spots', I didn't really want to edit others because I don't want to see any other product titles disappear. This also means I can't add new products either - there's not a lot of point in displaying only a list of pictures with no product titles to a buyer, particularly if the items are similar in appearance.

I didn't entirely understand the advice given to 'Spots', but this could well be because I've been up for most of the night with a fractious two year-old. You can't cut and paste from good products to bad because there is nothing to cut and paste from or to - there is no field to enter product titles into, so the minute you edit your product, your old title disappears. The only reason others still show alongside them is because they've been left un-edited - if you were to open them in admin to edit, you would see no product title field there either.

I hope someone can help me with this one. If I were to say that I'm clueless with php, it might leave you with the impression that I'm more gifted in this area than I actually am. Thanks :)

Fred - I'm not familar with the other contribution so I can't help you. You could try not installing the parts of HTC that have to do with categories. See the update file in the archive for what that involves.

Diana - If the code for your title disappeared, then youmade a mistake when you installed the contribution. There is a step in making changes to admin/categories in which you add the new code under the exiting code. It sounds as though you may have copied over it. In any event, you should compare the files you have now with your backup to see where the missing code is located.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi Jack, and thank you.

I have compared the file against the back-up several times, and can see nowhere where the file has not been added to or amended according to the HTC installation instructions. Is there anywhere else I could have gone wrong?

I have uploaded a text copy of my categories.php file, and would be very grateful if you could take a look at it if you still think that is where I have made my mistake. The URL is http://www.fruitcake.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/categories.txt

Thank you very much for taking the time to help,

Diana

It appears you added part of the code in the wrong place. I've pm'ed you a copy of the file. Compare it to your file (or just plug it in) and see if it makes a difference.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Ok,, I decided to strip out Category descriptions as at this present time I want my headers and tags sorted before I move on to adding extra text to category pages.

I've installed the contrib and the only problem I've come accross so far is that I also use sts template system, can this work with sts? I'm sure I read somewhere that if you use sts then don't replace the page title lines for the files in the catalog folder.

Another problem is that when I edit a category and then go back to it later, the data I entered isn't shown anywhere. so I don't know which ones I've entered data for and which ones I haven't :(

I aslo added this to my stylesheet

h1 { 
 font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
 font-size: 20px;
 font-weight: bold;
 color: #9a9a9a;
}

But page titles are still showing up blue on my site for some reason

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Yes, it works fine with STS. For some shops using them both, you have to comment out the clean_html line in application_top but otherwise there are no reported problems that I know of.

I'm not sure what you are editing when you edit the category. Yousaid you removed the code for HTC so I'm guessing you mean you are just editing the regualr title. If that is the case and it is not showing up, then you have probably removed part of the original code.

The h1 class only works on the index page for categories. You can use it elsewhere of course, but you need to make the code changes to do so.

Jack

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I am having the same problem as the user several messages back... after installing the mod I am unable to add a product title. after investigating the code it would appear the the field for the product name is M.I.A. in the Admin/catagory.php file? I tried to re insert the code below, but I get errors:

PHP Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_ELSEIF in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/catalog/admin/categories.php on line 877, referer: https://192.168.1.6/catalog/admin/categorie...ted_box=catalog

<?php

for ($i=0, $n=sizeof($languages); $i<$n; $i++) {

?>

<tr>

<td class="main"><?php echo TEXT_PRODUCTS_NAME; ?></td>

<td class="main"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']) . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('products_name[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', (isset($products_name[$languages[$i]['id']]) ? $products_name[$languages[$i]['id']] : tep_get_products_name($pInfo->products_id, $languages[$i]['id']))); ?></td>

</tr>

So either I missed somthing when I added/altered the code for this mod or a privous mod altered the code in a way the devloper of this mod did not anticipate.

This is the code before I tried to make the edit above... ps the code works fine save for the product name issue in the admin:

<?php

?>

<tr>

<td class="main" valign="top"><?php if ($i == 0) echo TEXT_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION; ?></td>

<td><table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0">

<tr>

<td class="main" valign="top"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']); ?> </td>

<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_textarea_field('products_description[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'soft', '70', '15', (isset($products_description[$languages[$i]['id']]) ? $products_description[$languages[$i]['id']] : tep_get_products_description($pInfo->products_id, $languages[$i]['id']))); ?></td>

</tr>

</table></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td colspan="2" class="main"><hr><?php echo TEXT_PRODUCT_METTA_INFO; ?></td>

</tr>

<?php

}

?>

<tr>

<td colspan="2"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '1', '10'); ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td class="main" valign="top"><?php if ($i == 0) echo TEXT_PRODUCTS_PAGE_TITLE; ?></td>

<tr>

<td class="main" valign="top"><?php echo tep_image(DIR_WS_CATALOG_LANGUAGES . $languages[$i]['directory'] . '/images/' . $languages[$i]['image'], $languages[$i]['name']); ?> </td>

<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_textarea_field('products_head_title_tag[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'soft', '70', '5', (isset($products_head_title_tag[$languages[$i]['id']]) ? $products_head_title_tag[$languages[$i]['id']] : tep_get_products_head_title_tag($pInfo->products_id, $languages[$i]['id']))); ?></td>

</tr>

</table></td>

</tr>

<?php

}

?>

<tr>

<td colspan="2"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '1', '10'); ?></td>

</tr>

<tr>

<td class="main" valign="top"><?php if ($i == 0) echo TEXT_PRODUCTS_HEADER_DESCRIPTION; ?></td>

<tr>

<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_textarea_field('products_head_desc_tag[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'soft', '70', '5', (isset($products_head_desc_tag[$languages[$i]['id']]) ? $products_head_desc_tag[$languages[$i]['id']] : tep_get_products_head_desc_tag($pInfo->products_id, $languages[$i]['id']))); ?></td>

</tr>

</table></td>

</tr>

<?php

}

?>

<tr>

</tr>

<tr>

<td class="main" valign="top"><?php if ($i == 0) echo TEXT_PRODUCTS_KEYWORDS; ?></td>

<tr>

<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_textarea_field('products_head_keywords_tag[' . $languages[$i]['id'] . ']', 'soft', '70', '5', (isset($products_head_keywords_tag[$languages[$i]['id']]) ? $products_head_keywords_tag[$languages[$i]['id']] : tep_get_products_head_keywords_tag($pInfo->products_id, $languages[$i]['id']))); ?></td>

</tr>

</table></td>

</tr>

<?php

}

?>

<tr>

</tr>

<tr>

<td colspan="2" class="main"><hr></td>

</tr>

<!-- OSC Milestone end -->

<tr bgcolor="#ebebff">

<td class="main"><?php echo TEXT_PRODUCTS_TAX_CLASS; ?></td>

<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '24', '15') . ' ' . tep_draw_pull_down_menu('products_tax_class_id', $tax_class_array, $pInfo->products_tax_class_id, 'onchange="updateGross()"'); ?></td>

</tr>

<tr bgcolor="#ebebff">

<td class="main"><?php echo TEXT_PRODUCTS_PRICE_NET; ?></td>

<td class="main"><?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '24', '15') . ' ' . tep_draw_input_field('products_price', $pInfo->products_price, 'onKeyUp="updateGross()"'); ?></td>

</tr>

Any Help or guidence would be greatly appreciated!