• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Header Tags Controller for Admin MS 2.2

Farrukh

Are there a limited number of pages you can add to the header tags area? After I did the updates all my extra pages info got lost, even though it was in the admin area and the languages file.

Also when adding pages and the info (within page control) I then go into Text control and some sections are blank where I actually put text and some are mixed up with others.

I end up having to start again with it all and hope that it all works.

No, there's no limit. A problem like this was mentioned previously but I have not been able to get it to fail. As I recall that person had deleted some of the pages that come set up already. If that is the case for you, then try replacing the includes/header_tags.php and english/header_tags.php (both shop side) and try it again without deleting anything. If it still failes, try adding one page at a time and then checking it. If you can get it to fail, please let me know know what page you are trying to add so I can test it here.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi!

I'm almost entering panic mode. I've just discovered that meta tags aren't being published at all on my site. All I get are is the basic title tag.

I don't get any keywords, descriptions or titles from the product pages. No keywords or anything on the home page either.

I do have the header tags controller that came with the install of OS Commerce. I downloaded the package back in January.

I'm not even sure where to start looking from here.

Any suggestions?

The instructions say to check the home page after the second step of the installation to see if it is working. Do you recall doing that? In either case, try uploading all of the files in the catalog directory of the contribution to see if that helps.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi!

I'm almost entering panic mode. I've just discovered that meta tags aren't being published at all on my site. All I get are is the basic title tag.

I don't get any keywords, descriptions or titles from the product pages. No keywords or anything on the home page either.

I do have the header tags controller that came with the install of OS Commerce. I downloaded the package back in January.

I'm not even sure where to start looking from here.

Any suggestions?

Have you gone into the Header tags area in the Admin panel and checked to make sure if the text control has any enteries?

Did you also go into the fill tags area and select fill all tags for the categories, manufacturers and products.

As far as I know. Header_tags does not come with the standard oSCommerce software.

The instructions say to check the home page after the second step of the installation to see if it is working. Do you recall doing that? In either case, try uploading all of the files in the catalog directory of the contribution to see if that helps.

Jack

I think I figured out the problem.

I had 2 pages with very similar names. (competition and competitions) If I don't use either of them it seems to be behaving itself. Both those changes had the required changes made as well.

Very strange

I think I figured out the problem.

I had 2 pages with very similar names. (competition and competitions) If I don't use either of them it seems to be behaving itself. Both those changes had the required changes made as well.

Very strange

That shouldn't make a difference. I tried adding those pages here and it worked OK.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I have this working good...I think :) Thank you to all for the help.

After following all the instructions I ran a validator (http://validator.w3.org/) on the site and it keeps coming up with an error that the 'doctype' was not found. This in turn created many other errors that say the 'doctype' does not allow for 'Meta" here.

Here is a copy of one of the errors;

Error Line 6 column 122: document type does not allow element "META" here.

...t, beauty supply, clothing, leather" />The element named above was found in a context where it is not allowed. This could mean that you have incorrectly nested elements -- such as a "style" element in the "body" section instead of inside "head" -- or two elements that overlap (which is not allowed).

One common cause for this error is the use of XHTML syntax in HTML documents. Due to HTML's rules of implicitly closed elements, this error can create cascading effects. For instance, using XHTML's "self-closing" tags for "meta" and "link" in the "head" section of a HTML document may cause the parser to infer the end of the "head" section and the beginning of the "body" section (where "link" and "meta" are not allowed; hence the reported error).

Any idea's or suggestions????

Greetings!

I'm running a cart that has HTC 2.6.0 and STS. I installed them together from one package, and though everything was working great. Then, when I checked my files, I discovered that in fact, my title, description, and keywords tags were m.i.a.!

The only thing that is showing is the default cart title.

I'm not even sure where to start in trouble shooting this.

Any suggestions?

Ken

Okay, Some more info on my problem...

I did the updates to go from 2.6.0 to 2.6.3.

I checked the database, all the different keyword fields for the HTC controller are present and populated.

However: I noticed that when all the updates were done, the Currently Viewing: text that was added as part of the update is not displaying any results.

So that leads me to believe there must be something wrong with the page pulling information from the database. Am I on the right track here?

Ken

Okay, I tracked down one error. I was lacking the code in a few places in the catalog side of things. I got the code into the index and product_info files, and HTC is showing those in black now on the text control page.

However, when I try to add the code required to application top, I get this error:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare clean_html_comments() (previously declared in /homepages/40/d185342331/htdocs/catalog/includes/functions/clean_html_comments.php:11) in /homepages/40/d185342331/htdocs/catalog/includes/functions/clean_html_comments.php on line 11

Now, i've gone to sts_display_output.php to make the change to the calls in the function, however they aren't there in the first place. THere is a file called headertags.php in the sts-inc folder with similiar calls, and i've tried commenting those out, changing them to require_once, etc. but none of that seemed to help.

I'll keep plugging away at it, but if anyone has any suggestions, or has been through this before, I'd be grateful for any advice.

Ken

Okay,

I've just about given up. I can't get this thing to insert the header tags. I've done a full new install of the STS 4.3 and HTC 2.6 and I cannot for the life of me get the meta tags to display. It's pulling a title from somewhere, but that is it. Is there anywhere in oscommerce that something might be over writing the meta tags HTC tries to create?

KEn

I have this working good...I think :) Thank you to all for the help.

After following all the instructions I ran a validator (http://validator.w3.org/) on the site and it keeps coming up with an error that the 'doctype' was not found. This in turn created many other errors that say the 'doctype' does not allow for 'Meta" here.

My guess is that you deleted the doc type code when installing the <title> change. Compare your index.php file with your original one to see if you are missing that line of code.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Okay,

I've just about given up. I can't get this thing to insert the header tags. I've done a full new install of the STS 4.3 and HTC 2.6 and I cannot for the life of me get the meta tags to display. It's pulling a title from somewhere, but that is it. Is there anywhere in oscommerce that something might be over writing the meta tags HTC tries to create?

KEn

Ken, you are not inserting the page to include in the STS module configuration in your stores admin.

ALSO: When combining HTC with STS, you should not add any code to the catalog side such as the index.php and product_info.php files. STS pulls this in automatically within your templates. All of this is explained in the STS & HTC Installation Manual.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Okay, I tracked down one error. I was lacking the code in a few places in the catalog side of things. I got the code into the index and product_info files, and HTC is showing those in black now on the text control page.

However, when I try to add the code required to application top, I get this error:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare clean_html_comments() (previously declared in /homepages/40/d185342331/htdocs/catalog/includes/functions/clean_html_comments.php:11) in /homepages/40/d185342331/htdocs/catalog/includes/functions/clean_html_comments.php on line 11

Now, i've gone to sts_display_output.php to make the change to the calls in the function, however they aren't there in the first place. THere is a file called headertags.php in the sts-inc folder with similiar calls, and i've tried commenting those out, changing them to require_once, etc. but none of that seemed to help.

I'll keep plugging away at it, but if anyone has any suggestions, or has been through this before, I'd be grateful for any advice.

Ken

That error is due to having STS installed. The instructions are outdated, from what I understand, since the code is no longer in the sts_display_output file. You will need to ask in the STS support forum for how to set that up. I don't use STS so I can't offer any more help with it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

That error is due to having STS installed. The instructions are outdated, from what I understand, since the code is no longer in the sts_display_output file. You will need to ask in the STS support forum for how to set that up. I don't use STS so I can't offer any more help with it.

Jack

Hi Jack, his problem was a combination of things. My post above should have solved all of them by removing the redundant code as well as include the headertags.php file in the STS Module in the admin.

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

My guess is that you deleted the doc type code when installing the <title> change. Compare your index.php file with your original one to see if you are missing that line of code.

Jack

It's in there. The validator page I took this info from gives me a list of errors with possible causes. I have been fixing them one at a time. I find where the error is coming from. Fix it and then have to save, test, upload to live, re-test to make sure the changes don't effect anything else. I started with 63 errors and have it down to 41 errors. I have trouble finding the code to fix the errors. I hope I'm not on a road to distruction by fixing these error the validator found.

Hi Jack, his problem was a combination of things. My post above should have solved all of them by removing the redundant code as well as include the headertags.php file in the STS Module in the admin.
It seems a common installation problem has to do with STS. As I mentioned, the text in the docs is outdated and is probabl causing more confusion. If you want to write a short blurb about the clean_html code (or any of it) that has to do with STS, I will add it to the next update (or you can do that, of course). Since so many people are using STS, it might be a good idea to improve upon that part of the instructions.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

It's in there. The validator page I took this info from gives me a list of errors with possible causes. I have been fixing them one at a time. I find where the error is coming from. Fix it and then have to save, test, upload to live, re-test to make sure the changes don't effect anything else. I started with 63 errors and have it down to 41 errors. I have trouble finding the code to fix the errors. I hope I'm not on a road to distruction by fixing these error the validator found.
Very few shops, oscomerce or not, will pass validation. It is a waste of time, in my opinion, to try to remove all of the warnings and many of the errors. If there are errors that are obvious coding errors, then they should be fixed. Otherwise, I suggest working on SEO related items. That will do so much more for your shop.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Very few shops, oscomerce or not, will pass validation. It is a waste of time, in my opinion, to try to remove all of the warnings and many of the errors. If there are errors that are obvious coding errors, then they should be fixed. Otherwise, I suggest working on SEO related items. That will do so much more for your shop.

Jack

I agree, I fixed the simple errors I made but the rest are a pain in the butt. I'm just freaking out because my store wont even show up on any search engines even if I type my store url. Where am I going wrong? Are there other contributions I need? I need some guidance on this ... PLEASE :rolleyes:

This isn't a Header Tags problem so a new thread should be opened in general support to deal with it. But I will say that if your shop is new, it might take a while for it to start showing up. Try entering site:yourdomain.com to see if you are really not listed.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

I am getting this error when I click on the catalog link in admin

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CASE in /catalog/admin/categories.php on line 332

Here is the lines with the error starting at line 332

332 - case 'new_product_preview':

333 - // copy image only if modified

334 - $products_image = new upload('products_image');

335 - $products_image->set_destination(DIR_FS_CATALOG_IMAGES);

336 - if ($products_image->parse() && $products_image->save()) {

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by davev

This isn't a Header Tags problem so a new thread should be opened in general support to deal with it. But I will say that if your shop is new, it might take a while for it to start showing up. Try entering site:yourdomain.com to see if you are really not listed.

Jack

Thanks Jack. I entered site:yourdomain.com with no luck. I may be impatient and will wait a bit before pursuing this further. :)

I am getting this error when I click on the catalog link in admin

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CASE in /catalog/admin/categories.php on line 332

Here is the lines with the error starting at line 332

332 - case 'new_product_preview':

333 - // copy image only if modified

334 - $products_image = new upload('products_image');

335 - $products_image->set_destination(DIR_FS_CATALOG_IMAGES);

336 - if ($products_image->parse() && $products_image->save()) {

Any help would be greatly appreciated

That error could be caused by a mistake somewhere before line 332 but it means there is a mistake in the categories.php file. You will need to compare your file with the one in the contribution to find the problem.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Thanks Jack. I entered site:yourdomain.com with no luck. I may be impatient and will wait a bit before pursuing this further. :)
Just to be clear, you said you entered yourdomain.com. That should have been your actual domain name.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Just to be clear, you said you entered yourdomain.com. That should have been your actual domain name.

Jack

Yes, I type my url in place of "yourdomain.com" and it was found.