• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[Contribution] Header Tags Controller for Admin MS 2.2

Farrukh

It's a special case meta tags the search engines just started using in the last year or two. If your site is listed with DMoz, odds are that the description for it has been edited because DMoz editors are told to do that. So the description for a page in the search engine listings may not appear even close to the way you want it to. That tag tells the search engines to use your description tag (or at least the text from the page) instead of using the DMoz description. If your site is not listed with DMoz, the tag is ignored.

Jack

ah, thanks for your info, jack. :lol:

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Jack,

Yes, the code is in the column_left.php file. Hmmmm...this really sucks. I have no way to manage HTC now...bummer. I cannot remember changing any other files that may have caused this to disappear. I don't know anything else to try....

I'll keep thinking about this and post back with any results. If anyone can offer any suggestions, please feel free to do so.

Here's a screenshot of what the Header Tags area of the Admin looks like. Notice there are no links for Page Control and Text Control.

https://goodfellasgames.com/images/htc.jpg

We see our customers as invited guests to a party, and we are the hosts. It's our job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better. - Jeff Bezos

I just finished installing this contrib and it seems to be working fine when I want the default tags to be used. But when I enter tags for a specific page it doesn't seem to work. The page still gets the default. One thing I noticed is on the top of my Admin page I get the warnings:

Permissions settings for the /.../catalog/includes/header_tags.php file appear to be incorrect

Permissions settings for the /.../catalog/includes/languages/english/header_tags.php file appear to be incorrect

I checked the permissions and they are both 777.

Can anyone explain what I have done wrong. Thanks. Steve

Here's a screenshot of what the Header Tags area of the Admin looks like. Notice there are no links for Page Control and Text Control.

https://goodfellasgames.com/images/htc.jpg

OK, I thought you meant nothing was showing in the left column for Header Tags but that is not the case since it is showing Header Tags in the image. Try this: notice that when you click on the Header Tags links, the url is something like
http://yoursite.com/admin/header_tags_controller.php

Try manually changing the url to read

http://yoursite.com/admin/header_tags_english.php

The Text Control of Header Tags should display. If it doesn't, then you are missing the files. If it does, then the code in the includes/boxes/header_tags_controller.php file isn't working correctly for some reason.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I just finished installing this contrib and it seems to be working fine when I want the default tags to be used. But when I enter tags for a specific page it doesn't seem to work. The page still gets the default. One thing I noticed is on the top of my Admin page I get the warnings:

Permissions settings for the /.../catalog/includes/header_tags.php file appear to be incorrect

Permissions settings for the /.../catalog/includes/languages/english/header_tags.php file appear to be incorrect

I checked the permissions and they are both 777.

Can anyone explain what I have done wrong. Thanks. Steve

The permissions have to match those of the images directory. 777 may not be correct for your server.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi all,

I have this contribution running on several stores. I just downloaded the latest one, installed it and its working fine except for the index.php and product_info.php, whenever Im browsing a category or product. The title and descriptions specific to that product/category dont show in the browser.

By the way, I am running Ultimate SEO, and I have installed both older and newer versions but the problem always occuring.

I searched saw something about changing a couple of lines or moving a couple of line, but couldn't find any more info on this. Please help. It's not often Im lost :-(

Luke

Several times before when this has happened it is because onr or both of the includes/header_tags.php and english/header_tags.php files were corrupted. Try replacing those with the ones in the archive to see if it fixes the problem.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

OK, I thought you meant nothing was showing in the left column for Header Tags but that is not the case since it is showing Header Tags in the image. Try this: notice that when you click on the Header Tags links, the url is something like
http://yoursite.com/admin/header_tags_controller.php

Try manually changing the url to read

http://yoursite.com/admin/header_tags_english.php

The Text Control of Header Tags should display. If it doesn't, then you are missing the files. If it does, then the code in the includes/boxes/header_tags_controller.php file isn't working correctly for some reason.

Jack

I manually changed the url to your suggestion and I was able to see the Text Control page. Whew!

This was the url when clicking on "Header Tags" in the Admin https://goodfellasgames.com/admin/header_ta...box=header_tags

Is that right?

I will investigate the includes/boxes/header_tags_controller.php file and see what it looks like as compared to a fresh contrib copy.

If you have any other thoughts, feel free to post back and I will do the same when I know more.

We see our customers as invited guests to a party, and we are the hosts. It's our job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better. - Jeff Bezos

The permissions have to match those of the images directory. 777 may not be correct for your server.

Jack

Thanks jack. I changed them all to 755 so they would match. But I am still getting the same errors.

Thanks jack. I changed them all to 755 so they would match. But I am still getting the same errors.

The install files mention that you may get these errors, despite there not being an error. See if you can make some changes and if these files are being written to, then I would just comment out these lines.

Several times before when this has happened it is because onr or both of the includes/header_tags.php and english/header_tags.php files were corrupted. Try replacing those with the ones in the archive to see if it fixes the problem.

Jack

Unfortunately not. Very weird problem. Turning off SEO fixes the problem, but I just dont want to turn it off :-(. If anyone knows then Im all ears, but in the mean time Ill have to delete the contribution :-(

Jack

Unfortunately not. Very weird problem. Turning off SEO fixes the problem, but I just dont want to turn it off :-(. If anyone knows then Im all ears, but in the mean time Ill have to delete the contribution :-(

Jack

I manually changed the url to your suggestion and I was able to see the Text Control page. Whew!

This was the url when clicking on "Header Tags" in the Admin https://goodfellasgames.com/admin/header_ta...box=header_tags

Is that right?

I will investigate the includes/boxes/header_tags_controller.php file and see what it looks like as compared to a fresh contrib copy.

If you have any other thoughts, feel free to post back and I will do the same when I know more.

I don't see any difference between my admin/includes/boxes/header_tags_controller.php and the one in the original contrib. Here is mine...

<?php
/*
 $Id: header_tags_controller.php,v 1.00 2003/10/02 Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
 http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2002 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/
?>
<!-- header_tags_controller //-->
	  <tr>
		<td>
<?php
 $heading = array();
 $contents = array();

$heading[] = array('text'  => BOX_HEADING_HEADER_TAGS_CONTROLLER,
				 'link'  => tep_href_link(FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_CONTROLLER, 'selected_box=header_tags'));

if ($selected_box == 'header tags') {
$contents[] = array('text'  => '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_CONTROLLER, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_HEADER_TAGS_ADD_A_PAGE . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_ENGLISH, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_HEADER_TAGS_ENGLISH . '</a><br>' .
							   '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_FILL_TAGS, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_HEADER_TAGS_FILL_TAGS . '</a>');

}

$box = new box;
 echo $box->menuBox($heading, $contents);
?>
		</td>
	  </tr>
<!-- header_tags_controller_eof //-->

duplicate.

Edited by awarner20

The install files mention that you may get these errors, despite there not being an error. See if you can make some changes and if these files are being written to, then I would just comment out these lines.

I made changes and the header_tag files are being written to but the page is not picking up the new title, mega description nor the maga key words; it is still using the defaults.

I made changes and the header_tag files are being written to but the page is not picking up the new title, mega description nor the maga key words; it is still using the defaults.

I would check to see if:

1) you have made the changes necessary to the top of each page (e.g. contact_us.php) where you want the new title tags to be shown.

2) the includes/header_tags.php file is being written to

3) the includes/languages/english/header_tags.php file is being written to

Is that right?

All I can suggest is that you try taking one of the other boxes, say customers.php, make a copy of it and name it header_tags_controller.php. When you click on Header Tags in the left column, you should see the same as you do when you click on Customers. Then try copy one of the lines from the real header_tags_controller.php file into the fake one and see if the Header Tags entry shows up. Using that process, you should be able to isolate where the problem lies.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Are the permissions on the images directory set to 755? Go back a few pages and you find the same problem and the code I posted to show the permissions. That should help you find the problem.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The two contributions work great together and really have nothing to do with one another, code wise. There must be a mistake in the install or something wrong with your code to cause it.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

The two contributions work great together and really have nothing to do with one another, code wise. There must be a mistake in the install or something wrong with your code to cause it.

Jack

ill give it one more try :-)

All I can suggest is that you try taking one of the other boxes, say customers.php, make a copy of it and name it header_tags_controller.php. When you click on Header Tags in the left column, you should see the same as you do when you click on Customers. Then try copy one of the lines from the real header_tags_controller.php file into the fake one and see if the Header Tags entry shows up. Using that process, you should be able to isolate where the problem lies.

Jack

Hi Jack,

Problem solved. Weird though...I just uploaded the header_tags_controller.php from a freash contrib copy. I was looking at this fresh one and comparing it to the file I had on the server, and the ONLY difference (that I could see) between the two was a line that was commented out. This line is in the fresh copy.

My copy...

'link'  => tep_href_link(FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_CONTROLLER, 'selected_box=header_tags'));

Fresh contrib copy...

// 'link'  => tep_href_link(FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_CONTROLLER, 'selected_box=header tags'));
				 'link'  => tep_href_link(FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_CONTROLLER, 'selected_box=header tags'));

See that extra line that's commented out? I thought that line was to be ignored??? Oh well, it's working now:)

Thanks for all your help Jack. I really appreciate it:)

Hi Jack,

Problem solved. Weird though...I just uploaded the header_tags_controller.php from a freash contrib copy. I was looking at this fresh one and comparing it to the file I had on the server, and the ONLY difference (that I could see) between the two was a line that was commented out. This line is in the fresh copy.

My copy...

Fresh contrib copy...

// 'link'  => tep_href_link(FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_CONTROLLER, 'selected_box=header tags'));
				 'link'  => tep_href_link(FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_CONTROLLER, 'selected_box=header tags'));

See that extra line that's commented out? I thought that line was to be ignored??? Oh well, it's working now:)

Thanks for all your help Jack. I really appreciate it:)

That's not one of my versions so I can't say what the person that uploaded that was thinking. It looks like he just added a commented copy of the code already there. Keep in mind that, for any contribution, the latest upload is not always the one that should be used.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Are the permissions on the images directory set to 755? Go back a few pages and you find the same problem and the code I posted to show the permissions. That should help you find the problem.

Jack

I saw the posting of the problem but couldn't find your answer.

I use SmartFTP to upload from my PC to my Host. It enables me to see and change the permissions. /images was at 750, so I changed the header_tag.php permissions to 750 but that didn't work so I changed them all to 777 and it seems to be working.

Why did you opt to modify programs instead of using a database table?

The main reason was for historical reasons. The original author wrote the contribution that way and I agree it is the better approach. Files are faster and less prone to problems. But once the contribution is setup and working, there is no real difference from a users viewpoint so it is simply not worth the effort to change them at this point.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons