• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Scrolling News Box v1.0

:D Yeah !

Thanks dappamobiles! I have got it running...

www.senana.de/aa/catalog/

@Tank27

Did you made the correction of the code in application_top.php from Step 1.12 (changing the 'define FILENAME_*** root of the mainnews.php from 'mainnews.php' to 'http://yourdomain/roottoyourcatalog/mainnews.php)?

If you have mad this and now with the latest (1.13) changes in the newsbox.php it still does not work, try to undo the change in the application_top.php...

For me, I was making all the changes that dappamobiles had given including the latest one in newsbox.php. The contrib was still not running. Then I changed my appliction_top.php again to

define('FILENAME_MAINNEWS', 'mainnews.php');

and now it works !

THX to dappamobiles for giving us support

I like this contribution..

cu

Arwin

----------------------------------

Arwin Dustdar

Cologne, Germany

[email protected]

Tank27,

Hi, it looks like you have the files in the wrong place and thats my fault as my first contrib was not very good.

I would recommend you install v1.13 as I fixed the previous problems in this contrib.

1. Remove all old files related to the original contribution:

• /catalog/includes/languages/english/mainnews.php

/catalog/includes/boxes/newsbox.php

/catalog/admin/define_mainnews.php

2. Download and Install NewsBox v1.13 - follow the instructions as stated in the install.txt, here is how the files should be installed:

• mainnews.php - /catalog/mainnews.php (in your OSC root folder)

lmainnews.php - /catalog/includes/languages/english/lmainnews.php

newsbox.php - /catalog/includes/boxes/newsbox.php

define_newsbox.php - /admin/define_mainnews.php

3. Edit the files as listed in the install.txt:

> Edit /catalog/includes/application_top.php and fine the line define('FILENAME_MAINNEWS','.......................'); - if you are using a http reference then change this to read define('FILENAME_MAINNEWS','mainnews.php'); .

> Follow the remainder of the install.txt to complete the admin installation.

You should have only one mainnews.php file located in the root of your OSC site, secondly you should have only one lmainnews.php located in /catalog/includes/languages/english/ folder.

I will endeavour to simply my installation instructions and make them more user friendly.

Thanks in advance,

Taz :D

I did everything you said and I still get

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /catalog/includes/languages/english/mainnews.php on this server.

i dont know what i could be doing wrong as I do not see this call anywhere in the files.

Tank27 hi,

Check your folder /catalog/includes/languages/english/ and see if the file mainnews.php is in there, if it is then remove this file.

In my new contrib there are two files, lmainews.php and mainnews.php. Copy the lmainnews.php into the above folder and copy the miannews.php file to /catalog/ (OSC root) folder.

OSC is trying to find the file mainnews.php as declared in application_top.php "FILENAME_MAINNEWS', 'mainnews.php'" - any duplicates will be found first so if there is a mainnews.php file in the /includes/languages/english/ folder then OSC will try to point to this file which is why you are getting the permission denied error.

Try this and let me know how it goes,

Taz

Tank27,

If its not too much trouble could kindly email me your configure.php file located in your /catalog/includes/ directory and the one in your admin/includes/ directory.

I want to compare your settings to what I have been using on the test servers and see if the contribution is being affected by the fact that I am using OSC pointers in the code.

Thanks,

Taz

[email protected]

Tank27, ignore the previous post.

Hey people, sorry I managed to include the wrong file in the contribution, an oversight on my part (too many late nights).

To fix the problem simply edit newsbox.php located in /catalog/includes/boxes/ folder, change the following:

$info_box_contents[] = array('text' => '<iframe id="datamain" src=' . DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $languages . '/' . FILENAME_MAINNEWS . ' width=130 height=150 marginwidth=0 marginheight=0 hspace=0 vspace=0 frameborder=1 scrolling=no></iframe>');

To:

$info_box_contents[] = array('text' => '<iframe id="datamain" src=' . DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . '/' . FILENAME_MAINNEWS . ' width=130 height=150 marginwidth=0 marginheight=0 hspace=0 vspace=0 frameborder=1 scrolling=no></iframe>');

I managed to include an old version of this file, the offending code was the $language variable, should not have been there - this was causing the site to look in the languages folder all the time.

I have included the correct file in v1.13b.

Thanks,

T

I need sleep....

Typo in my post, should be this

Replace:

DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $filename . '/' . FILENAME_MAINNEWS

With:

DIR_WS_CATALOG . '/' . FILENAME_MAINNEWS

:lol:

Hello Tank27,

I sent a possible fix for your issue with complete instructions ( 4 easy steps) on how to resove it - Let me know the out come. If it is a success for you, lets get it posted to help out the others.

Best Regards,

Murgan

It took a little bit of figuring out and small mods but I got this contribution working. I had to put the mainnews.php in the root directory and then modify the newsbox.php to look in the root directory.

If I didn't put it in root, I was getting a permissions error.

When I this it started working. I haven't gone back to fix the admin part though.

RE: 07/24/2003 - NewsBox v1.13b

Description:

Bug Fix: Admin Feature Not working

#############

This still seems to be missing some elements.

see the mainnews.php file in the catalog has the 'news' contents already in.

lmainnews.php ought to be called into that section with

something like includes/languages/english/lmainnews.php ???

apart from the admin side still not working, i like this contribution. :wink:

The code is not clean for v1.13b but I am working on v2.0 which will have some recoding done for better admin and will store the in a new table in the main database.

v1.13b is a workaround for the problem whereby the newsbox was unable to access the mainnews.php file in the /includes/languages/english/ folder due to permission problems.

The best solution at the time was to create a copy of the file called lmainnews.php and put this in the languages folder so the admin section could access the file (I used the define_language.php file as my template) and when the user clicks on the save button the code simply saves the file and then copies the file to the root directory as mainnews.php, this file is then loaded up by the newsbox (the newsbox is able to access files in the root directory without any problems).

The new code will be a rewrite of the define_mainnews.php admin file, I will either keep the same logic and simply rewrite the code to edit only one file ([root]/mainnews.php) or I will write new code to update a database table that will store the info as text in a field called news. The plan is to eventually have a proper editor in the administration section (much like this BB's new topic form) that will allow the user to create structured and formatted mini-articles that can be used in the newsbox with the option to add images and insert JavaScript/Flash/PHP code in the article.

This I am hoping will become a full project so I can use the template and apply it to other parts of the site like editing the mainpage.php contents and entering product descriptions.

Thanks,

Tq :)

I like this Mod alot, Altho I had a few issues with the imannews files not coming up once upladed to a live server. ( but it worked so well on my localhost machine..)

I fixed those issues by making a few easy changes to the original script( changing the calls to an html base rather than php- I found the error only manifests if it tries to pull from the imaninews.php file - so made it call up imainnews.html- the same goes for admin files- so it gould write to the html file)- then *poof* my problems when away. An added feature it gave me was - I can now load java- dhtml-aminated menus, flash, etc... flawlessly into the news iframe. Now this is something I would not recommend for kids :wink: - but if you would like to test or see my simple solution i action- I made a brief walk thru (and copies of my files for reference) at http://www.lvpep.com/vip/tank/news_fix_v2.zip -download if you like, but as always, back your orig files up so that if you dont like it or it creates havoc- you can put everything back to normal.

-Murgan

Nice one Murgan :wink:

I had a play with the original script and

i sorted a patch for this that works great for me :)

Edit the individual pages as in the install.txt

BUT, Try these quick edits where needed:

includes/boxes/newsbox.php

REPLACE:

$info_box_contents[] = array('text' => '<iframe id="datamain" src=' . DIR_WS_CATALOG . '/' . FILENAME_MAINNEWS . ' width=130 height=150 marginwidth=0 marginheight=0 hspace=0 vspace=0 frameborder=1 scrolling=no></iframe>');

WITH:

$info_box_contents[] = array('text' => '<iframe id="datamain" src=' . FILENAME_MAINNEWS . ' width=130 height=150 marginwidth=0 marginheight=0 hspace=0 vspace=0 frameborder=1 scrolling=no></iframe>');

and then in catalog application top:

REPLACE:

define('FILENAME_MAINNEWS', 'mainnews.php'); // main news language file

WITH:

define('FILENAME_MAINNEWS', 'includes/languages/english/lmainnews.php'); // main news language file

and i deleted the catalog/mainnews.php file, as it served no purpose

with the above method.

I would be interested to know if this works for other people :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I've just downloaded newsbox v113 and installed.

It's working on my site.

I love this contributions very much, but I can't change the contents of newsbox.

I can see the lmainnews.php. from admin side.

When I trying to change this html file.

I cannot overwrite this file(beeping).

So I change the permission of /catalog/includes/languages/japanese/lmainnews.php to 777.

I can change this file.

But put the "save" button, I have some errors like this.

Warning: Unable to create '/home/*****/*****-www/catalog/FILENAME_MAINNEWS': Permission denied in /home/*****/*****-www/user/define_mainnews.php on line 54

Warning: Unable to create '/home/*****/*****-www/catalog/FILENAME_MAINNEWS': Permission denied in /home/*****/*****-www/user/define_mainnews.php on line 65

Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/*****/*****-www/admin/define_mainnews.php:54) in /home/*****/*****-www/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 18

How can I fix this problem??

Hello group,

I succeded to install the 1.13b version but I can't get it to work with 2 or more languages.

It always takes the text in mainnews.php never the ones in languages lmainnews.php

Did I something wrong?

Plz help,

Tx,

Danny

Hi All,

I'm getting the same errors as Junny. My admin is seeing the lmainnews.php file, but I get the errors when I try to save any changes.

Warning: copy(/home/******/public_html/FILENAME_MAINNEWS): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/*******/public_html/admin/define_mainnews.php on line 54

Warning: copy(/home/*******/public_html/FILENAME_MAINNEWS): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/*******/public_html/admin/define_mainnews.php on line 65

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/*******/public_html/admin/define_mainnews.php:54) in /home/*******/public_html/admin/includes/functions/general.php on line 18

Also, in the News Box window on my Index page, I get a Forbidden message. It says:

You don't have permission to access /includes/languages/english/lmainnews.php

on this server.<P>

Does anyone have any Ideas what could be causing this?

• 4 weeks later...

I've go the same error of file languages.

As I read before, there is a "forbidden" error if you use the lmainnews.php files for each language. The file mainnews.php must be under root so that's how it is working now.

You must edit the file mainnews.php under root (not possible by admin). So only 1 language unfortunately. The author is aware of this problem and will deliver a new version compatible MS2.

Didier.

• 2 months later...

Is it possible to display only headlines and adjust the scrolling speed? I like the scrolling news feed a Burton.com. Headlines pop up one at a time, stay for a few seconds, and the next headline pops up. Very cool!

• 4 months later...