• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Template System for MS2

Hi all,

As with my template system for MS1, I am releasing the template system as a complete installation. Comes complete with an admin tool which allows for dynamic template switching.

This is a complete installation of MS2, when the team or moderators read this, please let me knowq when I can up-load this into the contributions section.

For now, it is available via my web site

http://www.hosting-osc.com

This installation package has no other contributions at present added in....only the template system

cheers and enjoy...

Peter McGrath

-----------------------------

See my Profile (click here) for more information and to contact me for professional osCommerce support that includes SEO development, custom development and security implementation

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is your template system connected to the basic template structure ?

My template sytem is not connected with any others work other then oscommerce. I have reviewed the structure in the installation folder of osc and based the work on this idea.

While the structure is not exactly the same, it is very similar, and I believe the team is going to work on their system in a similar fashion as I have done.

If you guys are doing the same thing maybe you could combine your efforts..

Well I am waiting to see if the team will give a general structure design to the community, so others can proceed with their work. I have made a request in the development forum on this matter, and still waiting for a reply from the team.

As for working with someone else, well I am always open for suggestions....

+ are either templates linked to  

http://www.w3design.ca/osccss/forum/index.php

no idea, might be to ask the site owner this question, my last system was downloaded by over a 1000 people, I think it is a css effort for osc though....

Cheers,

Peter McGrath

See my Profile (click here) for more information and to contact me for professional osCommerce support that includes SEO development, custom development and security implementation

I am wondering how I can up-load the contribution which exceeds the 300 K limit into the contibutions section.....

cheers,

Peter McGrath

You have to email/PM one of the developers to do it for you. From the new forum rules: "If your contribution package is greater in size, please ask an osCommerce team member to manually add the contribution package to the Contributions section."

A complete list of team members with emails is here.

Good luck,

Matt

P.S. http://www.w3design.ca/osccss/forum/index.php is a templating project for OSC written entirely in CSS. Thus, changing templates would involve changing the CSS file, like what is done here. Note: this project would also replace tables, etc. in the default layout (so as to allow them to be implemented in CSS).

thanks cannuck for your great work .. i have trouble downloadind the ms2 contribution since everything works except i have no link for downlaoding on the shop ... i missed anything ?

does the thema pack u provide for the ms1 version works in the ms2 version ?

MS2

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_IF in c:inetpubwwwroottemplateproduct_reviews_info.php on line 23

catalog/product_reviews_info.php

its missing a: ;

after define('PAGE_NAME' , $page_name . '.php')

Cheers.

I know it would/will be difficult, but you really need to separate your code from the ms2 base code and make *that* available as a contribution. I'm not sure the team will allow what is essentially a "fork" to be posted to the contributions area.

I know it is a difficult to install contribution and that is why you are making it available as full code, but as you make changes, people will be updating and adding other contributions and if your code changes are not available separately, people will have to rebuild thier stores each time you do bug fixes.

I this is NOT meant as a criticism, but is a rationalization of why you may not see your package uploaded to the contrib section as a whole store.

I applaud your work on this and it is very much needed and the full store download I would like to see you continue to make available for people that cannot make the code changes.

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

A lot of contributions are redundant with newly released code. This system may be better for some users.

Besides if you check the workboard it states:

Template Structure Implementation

That doesn't necessarily mean a working template System

I think it will be several months to a year before we see easy to use Templates, so the systems being developed indepentantly will be useful for quite a long time to come.

Actually it has been discussed and the wording may indeed be very important. Perhaps I can get another member that posted the clarification between terms here, or get his permission to quote it here.

And besides, ms3 is just starting so it will still be months before we see the template structure, since the team hasn't, to my knowledge even decided on what type of structure to implement. And if they have decided, they aren't sharing the information with developers who could then stop spinning their wheels.

There are several template systems, and people need them and want them now.

Or do you know something the rest of us don't?

loxly - When we first met, I couldn't stand you. You trashed something I said, and it made me mad. Since then, I have come across many of your postings and have grown to love your insight and *very* opinionated comments. I am an admirer now. I hope you don't mind me adoring you from afar. :wink:

catalog/product_reviews_info.php

its missing a: ;

after define('PAGE_NAME' , $page_name . '.php')

Thanks...will fix this is the zip file.....

I know it would/will be difficult, but you really need to separate your code from the ms2 base code and make *that* available as a contribution. I'm not sure the team will allow what is essentially a "fork" to be posted to the contributions area.

Actually I have tried to post the core files only to the contribution area....but these file still exceed the 300 K limit....

As for a fork, I kinda doubt it, since what the team member posted is that the template system will be a custom one based on the install system osc uses. I have made up my system so it is very similar to what the team has in place there....

I know it is a difficult to install contribution and that is why you are making it available as full code, but as you make changes, people will be updating and adding other contributions and if your code changes are not available separately, people will have to rebuild thier stores each time you do bug fixes.

Actualy no this is not the case at all. Most of it is now stable and any changes will be minor. As well I am going to set up a patch file for any upgrades or fixes........I am hoping between the forum and the patches, this will remove the update path of the template system problems.....

This "contribution" will be redundant once MS3 is released anyway. In other words...why bother?

Why bother indeed....you can wait for the teams software.....have a nice wait, me on the other hand I would perfer to use something rather then nothing...

And besides, ms3 is just starting so it will still be months before we see the template structure, since the team hasn't, to my knowledge even decided on what type of structure to implement. And if they have decided, they aren't sharing the information with developers who could then stop spinning their wheels.

I posted something awhile ago in the development forum....is OSC team not sure or not sharing the design info like M$....that is the way they do things....hide (keep it to themselves) until just before release.... 8).

Most of the work is very similar for the current template systems out there, and converting from one to the other is not a lot of work.....I expect the the team will start with a simple system, but who knows (other the the team maybe)......

cheers,

Peter McGrath

Actualy no this is not the case at all. Most of it is now stable and any changes will be minor. As well I am going to set up a patch file for any upgrades or fixes........I am hoping between the forum and the patches, this will remove the update path of the template system problems.....

Further to this,

The template system I am releasing will be just that only. NO other contributions are going to be added in to the system. Just the template system. Now the structure is sound, and it should help out alot of people to make custom designs easy to implement. As with all contributions designed for MS2, these will all work with the template system as well.

When I have some more time, in a week or so, I will put together an overview of the structure design, as well as simple instruction on how to add contributions and make up a layout for the site....

All work is going to be concentrated on improving the admin, and the actual template folder structure....still some issues in there I am not happy with. So now to upgrade a site, the only this which will need to be changed over will be contained in that folder, and the applicatoion_top file.....

Until better direction is obtained from the team, I think my implementation of the system works just fine....all java is functioning as it should, all pages are coming up...(what I have seen in my testing)......and the switching is working fine.

I noticed that the boxes.php class file has been changed somewhat, the other thema_boxes will need to be changed to reflect this. I am thinking that I want to use a combination of more css and more logic in the boxes to allow for top...side and bottom images.....this will effect the theme_boxes.php file, and all boxes in the boxes folder....

this is the next place of developement for the system......

cheers,

Peter McGrath

Hi cannuck1964,

on index.php, the main infobox "whats new for july?" is aligned to the right, its more like the whole body content of the page - there is a table or column inbetween the body and column_left.php, is there anything I can change to have the body of index.php center in the page.

I really hate mucking with <td><tr><table> trying to find the culprit. specially on index.php as it works in different ways, homepage, categories, manufacturers ect..

It happens on product listing too, and also the body content is being push downwards on the page rather then valign top, like a html table is there or something, all the other pages seem fine.

Is it possible to intergrate flash designs into this system theme?

Thanks Lee

on index.php, the main infobox "whats new for july?" is aligned to the right, its more like the whole body content of the page - there is a table or column inbetween the body and column_left.php, is there anything I can change to have the body of index.php center in the page.
there are two files you can look at.

1) catalog/inculdes/body/index.php

2) catalog/inculdes/template/layout/catalog.php

The index.php file is what is shown in the main body (like the rest of the files in there). In there you will see that the body starts and ends with a <table tag> . In some of the files (ie index.php) there are serveral top tags like this in place, and depending on conditions will be used.....

The catalog.php file is the layout of the site, with graphics pertaining to the layout contained in the theme_images folder.....look for the code which calls the body in to chnage how the body is placed as well....

Is it possible to intergrate flash designs into this system theme?

Quite honesty, I have no idea, I never use flash, since it seems to take for ever with me, I am on dial up.....live out in the country......so I am on old crusty phone lines... :( ......On the up side, I should have 3M up and down via a radio ISP hook-up next month.... :lol: ..... If you want to place flash in, if it works with regular osc, then it should work with my system as well...

cheers,

Peter McGrath

The template system I am releasing will be just that only. NO other contributions are going to be added in to the system. Just the template system. Now the structure is sound, and it should help out alot of people to make custom designs easy to implement. As with all contributions designed for MS2, these will all work with the template system as well.

My point is that I *already* have a customized store and I need to add the template sytem. I cannot use your store files as a starting point. This is the case with many of us that could benefit from your system or any template system. It needs to be dropped into a currently working store.....

loxly

You can admire me close up if you wish. I *am* opinionated and not always right, but when I am wrong, I correct myself. Sometimes it seems the only way to get through to people is to make them mad first ;)

I dont get why i cant download the OSC "Template System MS2" since its free on your site: http://www.hosting-osc.com/

On checkout it directs me to the payment area so i this case i choose chec/money order to enable download.

Is this mod in the contributions section?

well it not very clear but after several i understood u have to chosse the check paiement maethod , then u receive a mail with a url that return u to the shop website with the downloadable url for the template ... ouf

MS2

Hi all,

well it not very clear but after several i understood u have to chosse the check paiement maethod , then u receive a mail with a url that return u to the shop website with the downloadable url for the template ... ouf

Well since I have both free stuff and stuff going for sale which are downloaded, I have had to set it up this way(as far as I know). I would like to see a product being given downloadable status at the point when you add the product into the system.

This would be the ideal place to hold this value and would allow for shop onder to differ between various products. Not positive if this can be done with the standard MS2, any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Make a small paypal donation for the mod - you get the download link straight away. lol

I am not trying to get donations, but I am not living at my computer either, at least I do not think 14 hrs is living there.... :lol: If you want the system via paypal, make a one cent payment and the IPN will give the link right away...(and I do not get to keep the penny either.... :shock: ).

cheers

Peter McGrath