• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can't run on local server

Jack_mcs

@osCommerce-OfficialI tried installing V4 onto my local wamp server. At the start of the install there was a message that said V4 wouldn't run when apache was on Windows. I went ahead and tried it and the splash page did show up but the admin displays a denied message. I asked  Andrei about it and he said it should work but to post here if I couldn't get it going. I checked all of the listed requirements and they are present. Not being able to run this locally will cause a lot of extra work and delays for developers, at least for me. Is there a way to get this to work?

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

39 minutes ago, osCommerce-Official said:

@asandros could you please comment 

Hello,

Sorry, unfortunately nothing can comment regarding Windows. I personally suggest to install osCommerce 4 on Linux based systems, at least on Linux virtual machine running on the Windows.

8 hours ago, asandros said:

at least on Linux virtual machine running on the Windows.

That's what wamp is. It is a package that installs apache, php, etc. and simulates a Linux server. It is a very common method for developers.  I have successfully ran all previous versions of oscommerce, as well as Magento, Wordpress and some other shops using it. V4 is the only one that has ever failed. As mentioned, this will cause a big problem for developers. If you do not think it is worth taking a look at, can you at least explain the path used in the files to get the page to load so that I can troubleshoot it?

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 1 month later...

I was excited to see that osCommerce was being re-born with this version 4, but sadly as others above have noted there seems to be an issue with installing on Xampp on Windows! Install message says:

It seems like you are using Apache under Windows as Webserver. osCommerce will only work under linux.

Does anyone know what the technical issues are that prevent it from running on Xampp? Is it because it requires composer, or the use of symlinks, etc? I use Xampp for many other platforms including several old versions of osc (with security updates), I think it's a serious disadvantage if it's not possible.

• 2 months later...

Did this ever get resolved? As I'm thinking of installing on my Xampp set up to see if I want to replace my current stores.

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

On 8/13/2022 at 1:40 PM, Jack_mcs said:

I tried installing V4 onto my local wamp server. At the start of the install there was a message that said V4 wouldn't run when apache was on Windows. I went ahead and tried it and the splash page did show up but the admin displays a denied message. I asked  Andrei about it and he said it should work but to post here if I couldn't get it going. I checked all of the listed requirements and they are present. Not being able to run this locally will cause a lot of extra work and delays for developers, at least for me. Is there a way to get this to work?

@Jack_mcs were you every able to access the Admin side based on your setup? I am having the same problem. When I try to click the link to access the admin side, I receive the same message "Access Denied". I have notice through a rewrite somewhere is adding an extra "/" forward slash after the localhost url. example  https://localhost//oscommerce/store/admin/login, if I correct the link to https://localhost/oscommerce/store/admin/login the admin page loads. But every time I click on a sub-link within the admin page the rewrite issue occurs adding an extra "/" slash and displays "Access Denied" but the redirected link does not exist.

On windows platform, using xampp.  Store front works fine.

16 hours ago, Mort-lemur said:

Did this ever get resolved? As I'm thinking of installing on my Xampp set up to see if I want to replace my current stores.

You can install osCommerce on Xampp for testing purposes. But some features may have problems.

7 hours ago, the-raven said:

@Jack_mcs were you every able to access the Admin side based on your setup? I am having the same problem. When I try to click the link to access the admin side, I receive the same message "Access Denied". I have notice through a rewrite somewhere is adding an extra "/" forward slash after the localhost url. example  https://localhost//oscommerce/store/admin/login, if I correct the link to https://localhost/oscommerce/store/admin/login the admin page loads. But every time I click on a sub-link within the admin page the rewrite issue occurs adding an extra "/" slash and displays "Access Denied" but the redirected link does not exist

You have to edit admin/includes/local/configure.php and remove extra slash in these constants:

define('DIR_WS_ADMIN', '//oscommerce/store/admin/');
define('DIR_WS_CATALOG', '//oscommerce/store');

Thank you - now installed on Xammp and can progress as far as entering my login details for the admin area - then the following error is shown:

Error (#2)

An internal server error occurred.

The above error occurred while the Web server was processing your request.

Please contact us if you think this is a server error. Thank you.

The URL where this error is shown is: http://localhost/catalog/admin/login?action=process

So obviously I can not get access to the admin area.

The version of php running on my Xammp is as follows

Apache/2.4.54 (Win64) OpenSSL/1.1.1p PHP/8.1.12
    Database client version: libmysql - mysqlnd 8.1.12
    PHP version: 8.1.12

I also selected not to use SSL during the install.

Any pointers would be appreciated

Thank You

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

20 hours ago, Mort-lemur said:

Thank you - now installed on Xammp and can progress as far as entering my login details for the admin area - then the following error is shown:

Could you send me the following log files: lib/backend/runtime/logs/*.log

On 12/18/2022 at 5:27 PM, Mort-lemur said:

Error (#2)

An internal server error occurred.

The above error occurred while the Web server was processing your request. 

Please contact us if you think this is a server error. Thank you. 

9 hours ago, pandrei said:

Could you send me the following log files: lib/backend/runtime/logs/*.log

Thanks for the logs. The problem happens because you have not email server on your PC.

You can download a stub program to emulate email server under Windows here:

https://github.com/rnwood/smtp4dev/releases

Thank you @pandrei- Sorted it eventually....

Xampp comes with an email system called Mercury, However, to get mercury to work a few changes are required to the Xampp Apache php.ini file and the xampp sendmail.ini files as well as a small change to one of the settings on mercury admin panel.

This is a good guide to the .ini file changes: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/how-to-configure-xampp-to-send-mail-from-localhost-using-php/

and this is the change required to the mercury admin (see the post on unchecking the box on the mercury settings) : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6809369/warning-mail-function-mail-smtp-server-response-553-we-do-not-relay-non-l

Hope this may help someone else

1 hour ago, Mort-lemur said:

Thank you @pandrei- Sorted it eventually....

Xampp comes with an email system called Mercury, However, to get mercury to work a few changes are required to the Xampp Apache php.ini file and the xampp sendmail.ini files as well as a small change to one of the settings on mercury admin panel.

This is a good guide to the .ini file changes: https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/how-to-configure-xampp-to-send-mail-from-localhost-using-php/

and this is the change required to the mercury admin (see the post on unchecking the box on the mercury settings) : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6809369/warning-mail-function-mail-smtp-server-response-553-we-do-not-relay-non-l

Hope this may help someone else

Would you consider creating a new post about how to install osCommerce on Xampp? Would be ever so grateful! 

Would you consider creating a new post about how to install osCommerce on Xampp? Would be ever so grateful!  

That will not be a problem - But first I need to spend a couple of days making sure its working on xampp as it should as I think there may be some minor issues. :)