• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to make new template for oscommerce 2.3.4

Soeb

Thank you sir,

I just want to re-design the website as it is.
Please tell me, to change design which files will be affected. in which files i have to work?
Thanks 

@Soeb While there are/were a number of "templates" available for purchase from a number of sources, I do not recommend any of them. Many/most of them altered core files, often with poor code practices.

If all you want is to change the colors, fonts, and/or backgrounds, you can achieve all of this using CSS (Cascading Style Sheets). I don't remember if there is a user.css file in 2.3.4.1. If not, you can easily add one, and call it in the beginning of each page. If you are not familiar with CSS, it is essentially a new language ... something that we can't walk you through here on the forum.

If you want more of a design change, you will have need to modify some of the core files. If you are not familiar with coding in HTML and PHP,  this is again something we can't walk you through here on the forum. I would strongly recommend you hiring a developer.

Lastly, please be aware that 2.3.4.1 is quite old, and has not been updated in many years. It will not run under current versions of PHP, nor is it responsive (necessary these days with cell phones and tablets).

If all of this sounds too complicated, I again recommend you consult with a developer.

Malcolm

8 hours ago, Soeb said:

Thank you sir,

I just want to re-design the website as it is.
Please tell me, to change design which files will be affected. in which files i have to work?
Thanks 

If you ask more specific questions, maybe we will be able to help you. Otherwise the scope of your question is too big.

In general if you want to use V2 osCommerce today, you have to use one of it's forks. I have already pointed out one. Vanilla osCommerce is another one to be found on this forum. Phoenix is another to be found on their own forum. Alternatively wait for the release of the official V4 osCommerce.

10 hours ago, Hotclutch said:

If you ask more specific questions, maybe we will be able to help you. Otherwise the scope of your question is too big.

In general if you want to use V2 osCommerce today, you have to use one of it's forks. I have already pointed out one. Vanilla osCommerce is another one to be found on this forum. Phoenix is another to be found on their own forum. Alternatively wait for the release of the official V4 osCommerce.

Thank you sir,
Site is already working.
I just want to change its look and feel. I also want to preserve existing design for safety purpose.
So my question is
which files i need to change to work with look and feel? Only stylesheet.css or any other files too.
Thanks. 

@Soeb In 2.3.4.1, there is a file in the root (catalog) directory called stylesheet.css. I strongly suggest that you leave this file alone. Instead ...

Create a new file in the same directory called user.css. In this file, add all of the CSS changes you want to make. Then, in /includes/template_top.php, add a call to load the new user.css file AFTER the call to load stylesheet.css.

M

7 minutes ago, ArtcoInc said:

@Soeb In 2.3.4.1, there is a file in the root (catalog) directory called stylesheet.css. I strongly suggest that you leave this file alone. Instead ...

Create a new file in the same directory called user.css. In this file, add all of the CSS changes you want to make. Then, in /includes/template_top.php, add a call to load the new user.css file AFTER the call to load stylesheet.css.

M

Honestly, modifying stylesheet.css directly is perfectly fine. It was the way of osCommerce, before the guidances of the community edition set in.

9 minutes ago, Hotclutch said:

Honestly, modifying stylesheet.css directly is perfectly fine. It was the way of osCommerce, before the guidances of the community edition set in.

True, but less chance for error with adding the new file.

Besides, it is just a suggestion.

Archived