• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Hosting. When did it become a nightmare?? Pair.com to TMD Hosting

OldPete

Been running osCommerce since 2002 or 2003 -- can't remember... at Pair.com

Site has run well all these years.  Great relationship. Rarely needed support, but when I did, they were there and it was handled quickly.

Fast forward to this weekend... out of the blue the site is down... Ok! No problem, let see what's going on - after "checking" they tell me that they had to "lock" my DB -- but they can't tell me why - only that were queries that were taking too long and bogging down the DB server.

Fair enough! Let's test it and see what's up!  We can't duplicate it. They can't tell me what time it happened, they can't tell much of anything except for a list of the queries, which I had no problem accessing.

I tell them to please unlock and let's monitor it - if it happens again, PLEASE let me know right away so we can find out what happened.  Nope. The next day they lock it down. No warning, no info. Nothing.

I get lucky and they unlock it yet again -- this time with the understanding that although I don't want to leave, it's clear they don't want me there. That's fine.  So I set my sights on a new host and happen upon TMD (recommended by osCommerce).

Well... so far that's been one mistake after the next. They tell me it's migrated and that I can test - however I can't access it to test it.  (using IP domain.com www.domain.com via host file in PC dir)...
They get that working, so I can see the index page, and some pages, but none of the pages for categories, items, etc.

Is this part of how things are now?  Miserable, I tell you.  They said they specialize in osCommerce. LOL.

Anyone else to try?

Thanks for reading all that.  More of a vent, but...

Sadly, what you describe is very common nowadays. The first problem was very likely due to data skimmers hitting your site. They can cause the load on the server to get very high and many hosts will lock the site due to that since it is easier that figuring out the fix.

The second problem is due to a setting on the server. Using IP's as a url is a possible security issue so many host won't allow it. Changing the hosts file will allow you to see the site but it can be a pain.

5 hours ago, OldPete said:

Anyone else to try?

Absolutely. :) Contact me about our hosting. We really do specialize in oscommerce, don't charge for transfers and, most importantly, will make sure the site is working before turning it over.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

HI Jack,

Sorry if I wasn't clear. We're *not* using IPs at all.  We were only testing the new host via this method.

The update is that the "new" host is unable to make this happen.  You will be hearing from me shortly.

Thanks,
Pete

HI TO BOTH OLD PETE AND JACK

TMD have been hosting my website, now into the 2nd year after my original hoster in South Africa let me down after 10 years when they upgraded their server and  my site was no longer compatible with the new server?. Have had no problems with them they have solved all my issues which have been very basic as I was dropped in the deep end and at the moment am just muddling along. My biggest problem is that when you ask about SEO the standard reply is we dont do this find an SEO expert. Do either of you know when version 4 will be released as it seems as if this new version will make OS Commerce newbie friendly

8 hours ago, oceanlee said:

My biggest problem is that when you ask about SEO the standard reply is we dont do this find an SEO expert.

That's why you need a host that truly understands oscommerce. ☹️

8 hours ago, oceanlee said:

Do either of you know when version 4 will be released as it seems as if this new version will make OS Commerce newbie friendly

It is best to ask this in one of the threads about V4. But according to their posts here and on their site it is just a matter of weeks now.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Just to update on my post.  I've been running osCommerce for a long time.  And I know that Jack has helped me in the past -- but this time, he really needs to be applauded. My long-time was was "locking" my database (without warning) and it was a real problem.  They couldn't tell me specifically what the problem was, etc.  So I started to look for other hosts and I found a few that said they specialized in osCommerce.

Well... here's the thing.  No. They. Don't.  They might know how to install it, or they might be willing to host it -- but really specializing in it?  Well.  I tried one and after promising to migrate my site they said they couldn't and it was my fault. LOL.  Really?  The site worked on the other host (if it wasn't locked) -- and it wouldn't work on your host.

Fast forward, and Jack came along.  You can be certain that Jack can make it happen.  And here's the thing, he just does it.  If you don't understand something, he explains it in a super easy way too!

I am very thankful. :)

Archived