• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

osCommerce v4 Beta 2

22 minutes ago, mfleeson said:

Where is Royal Mail shipping? How can this be implemented.

This is best done via Zone Rates, where you can set up various zones (countries, states, cities, perhaps even zip /post codes), name shipping methods, and set prices per weight, price, volume, etc 

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/31/2022 at 5:53 AM, osCommerce-Official said:

Jack, it looks like the URL you have used to connect to the old osCommerce site / server can not be resolved by your new server. It is more a DNS problem and needs to be solved on the hosting level.

This was due to a subdomian being used and CloudFlare didn't have an A record for it (in case it comes up again).

I went back through the migration. When I click on the data source in admin to see what was imported it shows it failed due to "Secure method is invalid:" The site is using an ssl so I don't know what this might be? I'm wondering if it has to do with the migration script using the live url while the new shop is using a subdomain, though they are both secured. Any thoughts on why this is failing? 

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

well as i cant get access to phoenix and most of the modules i want I am expected  to pay form, looks like the same will be for osc too.

I am happy to have a look and see whats in the the osc 4 beta,  and will look at what i am to do wrt to maybe the old osc 2 that Iknow workedn so well and is free

5 hours ago, MadWayne said:

well as i cant get access to phoenix and most of the modules i want I am expected  to pay form, looks like the same will be for osc too.

I am happy to have a look and see whats in the the osc 4 beta,  and will look at what i am to do wrt to maybe the old osc 2 that Iknow workedn so well and is free

Good evening Wayne,

Thanks for your comments.

It will be a mix of free and paid apps in the osCommerce app store.

However osCommerce v4 is not comparable with possible forks of old osCommerce. The idea, the whole thing is so much more modern and better and gives better customer and shop owner experience, out of the box. Support for multiple sales channels, CMS and visual designer, design templates, menu system, advanced stock management - all of this and many more is available with the installation. Add to this a number of free apps from the App store (to be confirmed, but there will be plenty) - you get yourself a pretty solid Ecommerce solution to run a small or even medium size business.

As your business grows, you'll likely need some more advanced features and will surely be happy to pay for those, and for bespoke development.   

Definitely don't go for the old osCommerce v2.x as it is based on the outdated technology, which is not supported by most hosting providers, and has much less to offer than the free open source modern osCommerce v4. 

9 minutes ago, tlawam00 said:

Hello,

The demo site Ecommerce platform - osCommerce by Holbi Group (tllab.co.uk) looks fabulous.
Can we expect the compatibility with Apache for Windows in the future or is it not planned ?

Good afternoon! Yes that's the intention to make it work well for Apache for Windows in the future. 

On 2/4/2022 at 7:13 PM, osCommerce-Official said:

This is best done via Zone Rates, where you can set up various zones (countries, states, cities, perhaps even zip /post codes), name shipping methods, and set prices per weight, price, volume, etc 

I cannot find a zone rates to be installed, only flat rates.

image.png.2ab8fce8b3e243c7275f7b90828dbfa9.png

OSC I liked  when i used it around 15 years ago so suspect it is dated and at the time it worked well and made several contributions but it takes away from what OSC going semi comemercial which appears to be the case for nearly all open source sites.

At the moment if I could get the Ultimate SEO URLs module working properly on phoenix  I would have pretty much the basics I wanted, the invoice pdf module would be useful but not essential as a shop is secondary purpose to the site and to be fair if OSC2/x was running I would do a lot more.

As it stands tried about 10 carts in the last few days including woo and none of them serve my purposes as much as the old OSC2 did, Now I remember having a lot of mods installed, and could probably dig out an old back up including the database.

Used to like the fact you could diy and if stuck pay for a developer,  now you have to pay for some of the modules that were free, then again I know the time they take to develop so can understand it.

Zencart I have just been playing with and is a possibility, just some of the instructions for upgrading are  hard reading, theres few extras but they are free and some work okay.

Shame OSC sold out, its looking very much that for my needs i can stick with what i have now which is buttons on a few pages all done manually for the 20/30 products i have/will be available.

To have what i had in OSC would cost some serious money and just not viable for what essential is a secondary thing for the business as it stands now, otherwise I would just have it built and sod the cost.

If and when it the secondary thing (Shop) becomes  viable as a shop then  it will change.

Good luck and i will be back to keep having a look at where things are at, but back to doing my primary thing for a while

3 hours ago, MadWayne said:

OSC I liked  when i used it around 15 years ago so suspect it is dated and at the time it worked well and made several contributions but it takes away from what OSC going semi comemercial which appears to be the case for nearly all open source sites.

At the moment if I could get the Ultimate SEO URLs module working properly on phoenix  I would have pretty much the basics I wanted, the invoice pdf module would be useful but not essential as a shop is secondary purpose to the site and to be fair if OSC2/x was running I would do a lot more.

As it stands tried about 10 carts in the last few days including woo and none of them serve my purposes as much as the old OSC2 did, Now I remember having a lot of mods installed, and could probably dig out an old back up including the database.

Used to like the fact you could diy and if stuck pay for a developer,  now you have to pay for some of the modules that were free, then again I know the time they take to develop so can understand it.

Zencart I have just been playing with and is a possibility, just some of the instructions for upgrading are  hard reading, theres few extras but they are free and some work okay.

Shame OSC sold out, its looking very much that for my needs i can stick with what i have now which is buttons on a few pages all done manually for the 20/30 products i have/will be available.

To have what i had in OSC would cost some serious money and just not viable for what essential is a secondary thing for the business as it stands now, otherwise I would just have it built and sod the cost.

If and when it the secondary thing (Shop) becomes  viable as a shop then  it will change.

Good luck and i will be back to keep having a look at where things are at, but back to doing my primary thing for a while

Wayne,

Difficult to comment without knowing what exactly you have or had in the old osCommerce installation, however the things you mentioned:

- SEO URLs - enabled in osCommerce v4 by default 

- PDF invoices - enabled in osCommerce v4 by default 

- "diy" - osCommerce is and will be a free open source solution 

- hire a developer - you can always hire a developer to implement some custom mods

- modules - in the new app store there will be free and paid apps; a number of native (i.e. osCommerce - made) apps will be also free, and those which will be paid - they are required by established businesses that are happy to pay for an easy-to-use solution to their needs, that is supported and developed.

Have a good evening! 

lol my memory isnt so good to remember what i had 15 years ago buit off the top of my head

tinyMCE

competition (very simple thing but certainly helped with promotions)

pdf invoices

ultimate seo

easy template full of $...... from memory

a dropship module to import and export product feeds )one of the very last modules to be added (had to get help with that from memory, as very completed)

some kind of qty manager stock control

breadcrumbs

various payment modules 

easy populate

some sort of hacker prevention trap

there were others, a lot has changed since 2007 ish and off the top of my head and the bare boines is what you started with and had to add pretty much lots iof functionality.

wouldn't mind giving the beta ago as still looking for something closer to what i had and like I say it was many years ago and I dont need as much functionality as i did back then,. although i might in the futrure.

b2.png.dccafb2dc3945821197f552b52f2128b.png

Whats the point of this banner? You have announced the release of Beta 2 already, so what is it that people should expect as coming soon? Is the new way of getting osCommerce going to be via the contact form or will it be available to download as before?

16 hours ago, Hotclutch said:

b2.png.dccafb2dc3945821197f552b52f2128b.png

Whats the point of this banner? You have announced the release of Beta 2 already, so what is it that people should expect as coming soon? Is the new way of getting osCommerce going to be via the contact form or will it be available to download as before?

The banner is being updated this week. 

osCommerce (stable release) will be available for everyone to download without any forms, of course.

12 minutes ago, osCommerce-Official said:

The banner is being updated this week. 

osCommerce (stable release) will be available for everyone to download without any forms, of course.

Ok, thank you for the reply.

Hello,

I'm really looking forward for the new version. I have a questions please, will there be a chaptca in the registration page of new customers? I'm asking because with version 2.3.4 I've a bad experience of people automatically registering new users presumably just for creating spam email. I don't know how they do it, I think they use some php scripts for sending http requests into the new customer page. Can this new customer registration made more secure by adding a chaptca? I can see this in the admin login page but not if registering as a new customer.

Thank you :)!

Can anyone help me with this please?

I get no errors at all until  after the administration account (step 5), I click on create access and get a blank page in mozilla or in edge get

This page isn't working at the moment

ukhel.com can't currently handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500

21 minutes ago, MadWayne said:

Can anyone help me with this please?

I get no errors at all until  after the administration account (step 5), I click on create access and get a blank page in mozilla or in edge get

This page isn't working at the moment

ukhel.com can't currently handle this request.

HTTP ERROR 500

Did you install into folder and what is it called? On the first step of the installation where it prompts you to enter the location of the installation, what did you enter there, or did you leave it as is and continue?

Archived