• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

DDOS on shared servers

Smoky Barnable

My hosting company was recently hit with a DDOS attack on the server that was hosting my website. Is there another hosting solution that mitigates these kind of attacks? I have read cloud hosting is good...any recommendations? Trying to avoid downtime.

The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark. The small truth has words which are clear; the great truth has great silence.

- Rabindranath Tagore

Check out HostArmada. They boast about their security and specifically DDoS attacks. Their Speed Reaper plan is a good one. Their renewal rates suck, but the first 3-yr discount is great. Plus, I cannot find any bad reviews for them. Though no dedicated IP for shared.

Another one to concider is ScalaHosting. They have a VPS at $10/month with a 3-year commitment. Great reputation on this one too.

osCommerce: made for programmers, ...because store owners do not want to be programmers.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=oscommerce

Also, if you don't already, you should use Up-Time Robot. It's a free service that pings your site every 5 minutes and sends you an email or text to let you know when your site is down and again when it comes back up.

osCommerce: made for programmers, ...because store owners do not want to be programmers.

10 minutes ago, Demitry said:

Also, if you don't already, you should use Up-Time Robot. It's a free service that pings your site every 5 minutes and sends you an email or text to let you know when your site is down and again when it comes back up.

Thanks. I just signed up for the three year HostArmada plan. They are doing a cpanel transfer now.

The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark. The small truth has words which are clear; the great truth has great silence.

- Rabindranath Tagore

I just got their Speed Reaper 3-year plan on November 30th. I did a bunch of research before landing on this company. So far, everything is great! 

One thing to mention, their server date/time stamp is set to the European format, as in dd/mm/yyyy. That threw me off because I am used to the US format of mm/dd/yyyy. So, when it says that your next billing date is 04/12/2024, it's not April 12th.

Also, their shared hosting is not ideal for certain types of customers. For example, if your site is dependant on heavy file downloads such as videos, their shared hosting would not be a good fit for both, storage and data transfer.

22 hours ago, Demitry said:

I just got their Speed Reaper 3-year plan on November 30th. I did a bunch of research before landing on this company. So far, everything is great! 

One thing to mention, their server date/time stamp is set to the European format, as in dd/mm/yyyy. That threw me off because I am used to the US format of mm/dd/yyyy. So, when it says that your next billing date is 04/12/2024, it's not April 12th.

Also, their shared hosting is not ideal for certain types of customers. For example, if your site is dependant on heavy file downloads such as videos, their shared hosting would not be a good fit for both, storage and data transfer.

I'm liking the LiteSpeed Web Server.

- Rabindranath Tagore

I just found out that they force SSL on all pages, which is not a big deal for me as long as it doesn't impact page loading speed,.. though it's not the way osCommerce is set up. 

And, this is the first time I am using cloud hosting. I was with WebHostingHub for over 7 years, which is a sister company to InMotion hosting. They were good in the beginning, but their performance and QoS dropped off dramatically in recent times.

I'm also impressed with HostArmada's tech support. It seems like it's a bunch of Bulgarians, but their English is great, so is their response time, and knowledge base. WebHostingHub's tech-support QoS deterioration is one of the main reasons I chose to look for another hosting company.

Edited by Demitry

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2021 at 2:32 AM, Smoky Barnable said:

My hosting company was recently hit with a DDOS attack on the server that was hosting my website. Is there another hosting solution that mitigates these kind of attacks? I have read cloud hosting is good...any recommendations? Trying to avoid downtime.

Cloud is good. Let them worry about DDoS.

At this stage and age, some one need to containerize OsC/Phoenix so it can be simply deployed on any IaaS using docker.