• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

FATAL ERROR: register_globals is disabled in php.ini please enable it! Godaddy upgrade July 30 2021

dilipt

i am getting a message....." FATAL ERROR: register_globals is disabled in php.ini please enable it! " after godaddy did an upgrade to my site and now i have cpanel on my shared hosting 

Im have been using an oscommerce 2.2ms2 2007 and loved it and it had been working fine until today.

Can someone suggest of guide me how to fix this. i tried renaming php5.ini to phpold.ini and still no luck. I copied these lines below into .user.ini and still no luck.

register_globals = on
register_long_arrays = on

memory_limit = 128M
max_execution_time = 600

Current PHP version is 5.6

Webserver version is below

• Database client version: libmysql - 5.6.43
  • PHP extension: mysqliDocumentation curlDocumentation mbstringDocumentation
  • PHP version: 7.3.6

Please help me with any suggestions as i am sure al lot of ppl must have gone thru this 

Thank you all

Dilip 

Register globals were deprecated at PHP5.4 and php5.ini is the same as phpold.ini. The only one that will work is the one named php.ini

I suggest that you upload that php.ini file from one of your backups. 

If that doesn't work, then call GoDaddy support and make sure you are on the right PHP version. I have a feeling that they upgraded your PHP version without your permission and this is why you're seeing that error. It's part of the reason I left them years ago.

osCommerce: made for programmers, ...because store owners do not want to be programmers.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=oscommerce

@diliptAs Demitry mentioned, it is probably due to your host changing the php version on you. Godaddy uses cpanel, except maybe on some old servers, and cpanel stopped support of version prior to 7. Depending upon your hosting plan, you can ask them to switch you back to the older php version but I doubt they will do that.

1 hour ago, dilipt said:

Current PHP version is 5.6

But I'm confused by the above. Are you saying your shop was running on that version? If so, you don't need register globals.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

19 minutes ago, Demitry said:

Register globals were deprecated at PHP5.4 and php5.ini is the same as phpold.ini. The only one that will work is the one named php.ini

I suggest that you upload that php.ini file from one of your backups. 

If that doesn't work, then call GoDaddy support and make sure you are on the right PHP version. I have a feeling that they upgraded your PHP version without your permission and this is why you're seeing that error. It's part of the reason I left them years ago.

19 minutes ago, Demitry said:

Thank you Demitry. Can you suggest what version would be the right PHP version. I somehow cannot locate the old php.ini file.  Im just desperate as i cannot see any of my orders that need to be filled and have to rely on the order emails to fulfill them. How do i go about please  ?

8 minutes ago, Jack_mcs said:

@diliptAs Demitry mentioned, it is probably due to your host changing the php version on you. Godaddy uses cpanel, except maybe on some old servers, and cpanel stopped support of version prior to 7. Depending upon your hosting plan, you can ask them to switch you back to the older php version but I doubt they will do that.

But I'm confused by the above. Are you saying your shop was running on that version? If so, you don't need register globals.

Hi Jack  this was working on the old version i think php 5.4 and now after the upgrade im left with a down site and no where to go. I need help please as this is my only source of income.

I got my MS2.2 upgraded to PHP5.3. At 5.4 I saw that same fatal error message. 

If GoDaddy cannot go back that far, then you will need to find a hosting company that still supports that old PHP version.

However, even if you find a hosting company that has this version, you are on bought time. That PHP version is as outdated as your osC version. 

In other words, switching hosting companies is just a temporary solution. You really need new eComm software on the latest PHP version, which is 8.0 at this time.

osCommerce: made for programmers, ...because store owners do not want to be programmers.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=oscommerce

11 hours ago, dilipt said:

I need help please as this is my only source of income.

You only have two choices:

- Get godaddy to enable the old php version, which I doubt they will do.

- Switch hosts. See my PM regarding this.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Yes, upgrading the shop or code to work with a higher version of php is an option but I assumed the op wanted a quicker and less costly solution.  If my site were down, I would want the quickest fix. Maybe @diliptthinks differently.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

There's a price to pay for not doing any maintenance since 2007/8. These php fixes were openly posted on the forum since then as the php versions came by. The op should know he can either search out this information to apply the fixes himself, thereby saving the cost of hiring someone if he is in that situation. Or he could hire someone that might be able to bring his shop code up to the php7 level. Another option might be to migrate his store to one of the community editions like Frozen, which was largely php7 compliant if i remember correctly.

It's always easy to say what could be done when one is experienced in doing that. But if the op is just a shop owner and not a coder, that may be beyond his ability. And the shop may not be making enough to cover updating it. I was in that position early on and upgrading or paying someone to do it was simply not an option. But without his further input here we can only guess as to what would be best for him.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived