• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrading from osCommerce 2.2-MS2

josh1r

I believe I'm using osCommerce 2.2-MS2 (as seen on server_info.php in /admin).   I installed osc maybe 15 years ago and I don't think ever updated it.

How hard is it to upgrade to a newer version that works on php 7.x?  Do I need to go through dozens and dozens of files and make changes...?

Thank you.

There's a price to pay for not doing maintenance to your shop for so long, either literally by hiring someone to do a migration for you, or in the form of your own hard work to search out the fixes required to update your files.

1 hour ago, josh1r said:

How hard is it to upgrade to a newer version that works on php 7.x? 

It depends on your level as webmaster, but in general it won't be easy.

1 hour ago, josh1r said:

Do I need to go through dozens and dozens of files and make changes...?

Yes.

@josh1r

1) It is *possible* to upgrade your 2-2-MS2 site to be PHP 7.x compatible. HOWEVER, it will require a LOT of work (and/or expense), you would essentially be creating your own fork of osC (which no-one else could could support), would STILL have all of the security risks that 2-2-MS2 has, and would not be responsive (necessary in this day of phones and tablets). Not recommended.

2) The last 'official' release of osC was v2.3.4.1. HOWEVER, it also is not PHP 7.x compatible, is not responsive, and there is no easy migration path. You would have to install it in a separate directory, migrate all of your data over (customers, products, history, etc), and apply any add-ons and/or mods you used in your old shop. Not recommended.

3) There is a spin-off version of osC developed by the Community, now under a different name. We're not allowed to discuss it here, so PM if you have any questions.

4) The original developer of osC sold off the rights to the software last year, and the new owners are developing a completely new version (osC v4). It is currently in beta, and is supposed to be released sometime this year.

HTH

Malcolm

At some point a car gets so old, that the costs of repairs and its dependability jeopardize your freedom of reliable transportation.

At that point, you either get a newer car,.. or a bicycle.

...I can only show you the door Neo,.. you have to walk through it.

osCommerce: made for programmers, ...because store owners do not want to be programmers.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=oscommerce

Archived