• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Requested Features

sackling

Hello,

I am not sure this is the appropriate place to do so but I did see some other posts like this so I thought this would be worth a shot. First of all very excited/impressed with what I see as a long time Oscommerce store so thanks so much for what looks to be a bright future!

secondly these are some of the sorely missing features that we have been hobbling/hacking together with our current store that would be sooo nice to have:

1. Inventory management per attribute. Each attribute should be able to have its own SKU/inventory levels for obvious reasons

2. Much better integration with google shopping/facebook catalogs. syncing through the google shopping api would work wonders for us instead of having to manually manage a spreadsheet feed 

4. Better integration with Google remarketing tag out of the box so that the specific SKU can be remarketed. 

5. Category page filters that can be assigned to each product (I think I saw this in one of your post's images and can't wait to see more!)

Many of the things I was going to mention have definitely already been shown in your posts but the above are quite important to us so I was just hoping to get them mentioned!

Edited by sackling

7 hours ago, sackling said:

Hello,

Hi Rob!

I am not sure this is the appropriate place to do so but I did see some other posts like this so I thought this would be worth a shot. First of all very excited/impressed with what I see as a long time Oscommerce store so thanks so much for what looks to be a bright future!

There is no better place than this Forum to talk about osCommerce, and its features!

secondly these are some of the sorely missing features that we have been hobbling/hacking together with our current store that would be sooo nice to have:

1. Inventory management per attribute. Each attribute should be able to have its own SKU/inventory levels for obvious reasons

Is already available. 

You can assign any number of attributes (and attribute values) to any product.

Then, for each combination of real (i.e. not VIRTUAL, like files for example) attribute values, you can set its own SKU, EAN, stock, supplier(s), etc. So each combination of attribute values acts as an independent stock item. Or you can mark some of them as non existent.

Also, it is possible to link images to particular attribute values, thus displaying appropriate images to the users when they change attribute values on the product page (in theory also on product listing, but may require some altering of the product listing widgets).  

2. Much better integration with google shopping/facebook catalogs. syncing through the google shopping api would work wonders for us instead of having to manually manage a spreadsheet feed 

Will pass it to the Dev team. We have integration with Google shopping by creating a file with all the fields necessary and making it available for Google to fetch at the moment. Perhaps room for a new app by one of the developers out there?

4. Better integration with Google remarketing tag out of the box so that the specific SKU can be remarketed.

Would be happy to discuss this over a demo. We have integration with GTM as such, and remarketing tag too. But want to ensure this is exactly what you're talking about. Please could you email us to arrange such a demo?

5. Category page filters that can be assigned to each product (I think I saw this in one of your post's images and can't wait to see more!)

Yes, definitely a yes. 

So, each product can be linked to any number of property values. They are not attributes as such as they are not changeable by the users, they are used more as extensive product description or tech spec. 

Such properties can be gathered by the filter feature and used to create dynamic DB-driven filters. Filters can be of different nature, i.e. single choice, multi choice, gauge, etc. Any product listing can then be filtered down to what the user is looking for.

Many of the things I was going to mention have definitely already been shown in your posts but the above are quite important to us so I was just hoping to get them mentioned!

That's OK :) osCommerce v4 is a BIG step from osCommerce v2 and its forks, a lot of features and facilities there to be welcomed by osCommerce users, and we are using this time on this Forum as an opportunity to educate everyone about what's to come soon this year!

Thanks so much for the reply and the work. I think hearing the way attributes will be handled above will make a world of difference in automatically generating google shopping feeds even if it is not part of the "out of the box" experience.

I am curious, how big is the dev team working on this? 

I have never heard of trueloaded before but after looking into it it seems from the screenshots of the admin a lot will be borrowed from that platform and implemented as oscommerce. I guess what I am asking is, why not simply use trueloaded instead of oscommerce? 

5 minutes ago, sackling said:

Thanks so much for the reply and the work. I think hearing the way attributes will be handled above will make a world of difference in automatically generating google shopping feeds even if it is not part of the "out of the box" experience.

I have never heard of trueloaded before but after looking into it it seems from the screenshots of the admin a lot will be borrowed from that platform and implemented as oscommerce. I guess what I am asking is, why not simply use trueloaded instead of oscommerce? 

Thanks for your feedback! 

To answer your question, we believe in a "beautiful synergy" between the power of the current Ecommerce platform and osCommerce brand and community. We want to make sure that shop owners, developers, designers, consultants, accountants, and many more get to experience it, use it for the benefit of their businesses. We have some very big plans that are aimed at making osCommerce a modern mainstream Ecommerce solution, a "locomotive", an "eco system" that helps everyone involved build a successful business around it. Hopefully this answers your questions, even if only partially. 

Thanks for the reply. I think I understand somewhat of what is planned. I understand it can be hard to reveal all the details of a plan with moving parts.

One other small feature request that you don't see with many newest ecom platforms is the Who's online feature of the admin panel which allows you to view the customers current activity as well as their current shopping basket. Are there plans to refresh that or at least keep it intact? 

13 minutes ago, sackling said:

Thanks for the reply. I think I understand somewhat of what is planned. I understand it can be hard to reveal all the details of a plan with moving parts.

One other small feature request that you don't see with many newest ecom platforms is the Who's online feature of the admin panel which allows you to view the customers current activity as well as their current shopping basket. Are there plans to refresh that or at least keep it intact? 

Not to worry! 

Fresh from the dev install, we can confirm this URL is present in the back end:

admin/whos-online

:)  

1 hour ago, sackling said:

To answer about the dev team - we have a team of about 50 overall, developers, designers, q and a engineers, tech writers, managers, and so on. All with a LOT of Ecommerce experience, many have been with us for 10+ years.

Hi,

Reading your topic on Currencies and Rounding a request came to my mind ... I will call it "Pricing Calendar".

A possiblity to set price Valid From  and Valid To - possibly a Special Price - but also for the regular price. Imagine one receives an new pricelist from a supplier - than you do an upload and set Valid From. There are more possible situations thinkable.

2 minutes ago, azpro said:

Hi,

Reading your topic on Currencies and Rounding a request came to my mind ... I will call it "Pricing Calendar".

A possiblity to set price Valid From  and Valid To - possibly a Special Price - but also for the regular price. Imagine one receives an new pricelist from a supplier - than you do an upload and set Valid From. There are more possible situations thinkable.

Arjan, thanks for this idea, will pass it to the dev team to consider! Sounds interesting indeed, and negates the need to manually activate a new price list. A lot of Ecommerce websites nowadays are connected to the price feeds from suppliers. 

Take into account the availability field, as well as the stock per warehouse with different service times and its cut-off time (if the hour has passed, sum next business day)
Every warehouse have link to stock file, url to check or api and you can set if the wharehouse work dropshipment mode or add extra shipping costs...

Store1 Stock : disponibility 2H
Store2 Stock : disponibility 8H
Warehouse1 Stock : disponibility 24H
Warehouse2 Stock : disponibility 48H
Supplier Warehouse Stock : disponibility 72H

2 hours ago, domiosc said:

Take into account the availability field, as well as the stock per warehouse with different service times and its cut-off time (if the hour has passed, sum next business day)
Every warehouse have link to stock file, url to check or api and you can set if the wharehouse work dropshipment mode or add extra shipping costs...

Store1 Stock : disponibility 2H
Store2 Stock : disponibility 8H
Warehouse1 Stock : disponibility 24H
Warehouse2 Stock : disponibility 48H
Supplier Warehouse Stock : disponibility 72H

Thanks for this suggestion!