• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What do you expect?

fixion

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sounds like you want postnuke .8 Seriously we have most of those completed the 3 column thing will be a part of posntuke .8 and the theme engine is backwards compatable with older verions of posntuke also.

Actually I have looked at Postnuke many times and the code is not up to the quality that I look for in a project. I doubt I would ever use it or any other php-nuke derivative. I am looking for a CMS not a portal.

Well you have not seen .8 and if you had looked at the code you would easily see that any module could be taken out or added as needed in any release of postnuke. That is the nice part about postnuke.

As for users I'm not sure about which is the most used I know we get at least 10,000 visitors a day on the site not including the forums wich are down right now for security updates(phpbb fault not ours). The forums have 10,000 members and the site has over 46,000 members. If thats not enough for you then well I dont know.

Now to cover the cms part. Well that is part of .8 also. I assume oyu mean being able to handle static content and the like also is you would have looked a little there are alreadt modules available to do that now. Paged and one other are available. It is very easy to add this and just leave off the news module if you dont want it. Just like it would be easy top add a commerce module along with ap, ar, gl, and any other type of module you may want to use.

That is the one reason why postnyuke has flurished because of the ease of use and the ability to easily customize it. This is only going ot get better. The modularity really sets it apart in this respect.

Why don't you just face it and live up to the fact that I will not use your garbage product. If it is suitable for others then they can use it. I do not want a portal system with a CMS module. I want a CMS, a shop, a Links directory. I want them completely separate and distinct from each other. I want each of them to use different databases. I do not want an overloaded piece of bloat trying to be all things to all websites. Each site is different and requires different tools not the same tool with different modules. Your solution is like using Microsoft Word to create spreadsheets and while it might give you the basics, there are going to be issues when you want advanced features later.

I dont really care what you use it's your atitude that suck's. Fortunately for the rest of us you only have to live whith yourself and we don't.

You are right, my attitude does suck. However that only happens when people don't seem to accept others opinions. If you want to have a megalithic program with a lot of features for multiple sites, then by all means go for it.

When you have to run 100 highly customized sites with specific needs like I do, then it doesn't work.

I should add that I won't use a program or script because it is free or open source. Those are not considerations for me. I use programs and scripts because they are the best in their class whether they are free or fee, open or closed source.

Open source is nice but it is not some holy grail as some think and I don't put any effort at all behind the movement. I support products that work, period.

As a matter of fact I never attacked you or your opinions. I clearly stated I'm going elseware. I never asked for support here for anything I'm working on and quite to the contrary I never even asked really. I stated that I knew how it was going to be that way.

Now You obviuosly have no idea what you are talking about and again I dont really care. You either are not a coder or dont care about your uninformed opinions.

Again postnuke is modular and is very customizable depending on what you need from it. The core of the product only handles users, permissions, db access and the like. All the rest are just modules you can plug-in and use if you like. IN each case it is as simple as droping the module into the modules directory and going to admin and install and activate it. Simple as that. You dont like it unactivate it and uninstall it. Then delete the folder from the server.

The only area I will admit at this time is the fact that it is not set up to draw data from multiple db servers but in a real life situation you would not always have that anyway. Most servers are set up with multiple servers and running dynamic load balancing instead of running multple db servers running seperate db's.

Now unless you can prove that you really have any idea of what you are discussing please stop now. I'm not asking anything of anybody here. I stated I'm going somplace else to do my work from the start. So I'm not even sure why you have consistantly shown your lack of knowledge regarding a cms that you dont even use.

I only made this post to clear up inconsistancies and fud you are spreading about an application you admitedly dont use. Wheather you use it or not I dont care. Wheater anybody does I don't care but at least you could base your accusations on truth.

I have actually been around for a while. Been developing professionally since 1993. Have been a hobbyist since 1983.

In the past I have worked as the head database programmer for the second largest security company in the United States, as a C++ programmer at the largest third party bank software company in the world. I have worked as the community administrator and programmer at one of the largest online communities for webmasters and used their CMS which is where goals are set from. Currently I work as a Sales and Support Manager for Jelsoft Enterprises Limited which manufactures and sells vBulletin. I am also writing a system based on the osCommerce Engine to completely run multiple terminals in a small retail store whether they need a webstore, POS registers, Order Kiosks, Inventory Control and so forth. It will all be on one system.

p.s. I never said anything about multiple database servers. I said multiple databases. The concept is different. I have used your "CMS" in the past on two different projects. It was this usage that has turned me against it and all other Nuke derivatives. Those were the only projects that I lost money on and that places a big impression on people.

First of all it would be geat to keep osc osc

but saying that if we can make osc talk and share the db with other cms it could only improve osc

ie at the mo if i what a site with phpbb and osc (correct me if i am wrong) know one has manage evan to share the loggin name

so moving swifty on lets think of it like unix/linux/bsd etc where we can use one command or pipe one to the next

and finaly xoops is turning osc int a mod i have installed the beta version it looks like it will be V cool

Why reinvent the wheel

i put in a post about xoop and when i went in i don't see it can you tell me where it went or why it was removed so that it doesn't happen again.

thanks

jason

I'm using Postnuke with osCommerce. I think Postnuke is great as I do osCommerce. Postnuke seems strong, it has been documented that it can handle at least 22,000 page views in about two hours not even counting the static pages it served up. This was proven when there was a link advertised to a Postnuke site on the Oprah Winfrey show.

I also think osCommerce is great, it does everything I want it to do and more. I'm using several Postnukes and osCommerces all on one site. (ASMA)

Someone here asked what features of Postnuke would you like to see for osCommerce, obviously this answer would be different for many people. I really don't think you could create a "catch all or even most" type of osCommerce.

Postnuke just has way too many features and of course the opposite is true for osCommerce. I think the best solution would be to leave these as they are for the most part.

It seems a function or feature that most people really want is the ability for the two major applications to share their logins, sessions, registrations, etc, etc. and accomplishing this using standalones.

In addition, sharing all this across multiple databases is a plus.

There are many features that each application handles well, the first one that comes to mind for me is that I have over 200 banners and over 200 banner locations viewed at all times and rotating (well, really swapping).

Can osCommerce do this ?, I don't know but then again if it doesn't why should it. osCommerce is the best at what it does and to create these and other features and functions would only spread the "Team" thinner, then we end up with a real problem.

Just my thoughts

typed but not read

John

It seems a function or feature that most people really want is the ability for the two major applications to share their logins, sessions, registrations, etc, etc. and accomplishing this using standalones.
Functionality to enable this is already on the workboard for MS3. Once logins and sessions are moved to classes, one will be able to implement this with a simple replacement module for each class.

Cheers,

Matt

"Functionality to enable this is already on the workboard for MS3. Once logins and sessions are moved to classes, one will be able to implement this with a simple replacement module for each class."

I think this would enable most people to get a majority of what they need.

Fantastic

John

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

using OSC2PHPNuke....kinda like it....rather hard to navigate and setup the front page....could use a OSC2Postnuke instead....already have a PN Site

would love to be able to setup my existing OSC store into my existing postnuke site :unsure:

• 1 month later...

To those who don't understand the benefit of a cms system with a shopping cart, think marketing. I was working on a free site with lots of members and thought wouldn't it be nice to sell something here? To add my 2 cents it would be great to see osc work with a cms system!

• 2 months later...

I think he's got a point, more people use postnuke than this. It's arrogant to ignore the work CMS's have done and assume you can get it right first time. You'd save time to integrate postnuke and this somehow. An official version would be so much better than all of the hacks out there trying to accomplish this.

Archived