Fredi

What v Phoenix should I use

On 1/8/2021 at 6:44 PM, burt said:

It's important to keep in mind that any changes that anyone needs does not always have to be done at the core code level. 
It might be possible to come up with some type of addon that would easily allow what you need to become reality. 

Matt @ecartz and I @burt are gatekeepers of the Core Code.  We don't place limits on what is done outside of the core code level, in fact we actively encourage shopowners to chat with our certified developers about "whatever module" or "idea" they have, and it might be that the developer can make something already that plugs into Phoenix nicely, or it might be that the developer approaches one of us to "bend" the core code to make "whatever module" possible. 

Put another way, the meaning of "open source" allows anyone with requisite knowledge to come up with solutions...

How long does it take to expect a stable, fixed version of the Phoenix kernel code?
Or is there no such option?

Support forum for osCommerce in russian language - from Ashkelon. Support since 2002.

Best regards,

Fredi

5 hours ago, Fredi said:

How long does it take 

As long as it takes.  It's a project that does not earn enough for coders to work on it full time (or even half time, or even 10% of the time) so..."as long as it takes".

If you do not like that answer;  you should be asking yourself how the 1000s of business that are currently not supporting, exactly why they are not supporting.  Because if every business using any of the Community Editions from the last 7 years put into the pot, we'd be able to give up other work and work on this project full time meaning the project would move much faster and we'd be able to do road maps and so on.  You reap what you sow, right?

Help shape the future of Phoenix; join the Phoenix Club

Tax issues are questions for governments.
Questions for creating new modules are questions for coders.

I have a different question. You have announced the kernel code as a stable, versatile base software.
It's been almost 2 years now. You are constantly modifying and improving the kernel code. This is a great and good job.

My question: During the existence of Phoenix, 56 versions of the kernel code have been created. Which version of the code can be considered complete and stable?
What version of the code do you recommend for porting an existing store to the stable Phoenix kernel without the threat of breaking it with the next change in the kernel code?

This is a purely practical question. Waiting for a stable version for 2 years is a long time. I would like to know the approximate release time of a stable version, for example, in a week, in a month, in a year, in 5 years, or is there no point in expecting such a version?

Or please recommend the stable version number to transfer my existing stores to them.

Support forum for osCommerce in russian language - from Ashkelon. Support since 2002.

Best regards,

Fredi

15 minutes ago, Fredi said:

Tax issues are questions for governments.
Questions for creating new modules are questions for coders.

I have a different question. You have announced the kernel code as a stable, versatile base software.
It's been almost 2 years now. You are constantly modifying and improving the kernel code. This is a great and good job.

My question: During the existence of Phoenix, 56 versions of the kernel code have been created. Which version of the code can be considered complete and stable?
What version of the code do you recommend for porting an existing store to the stable Phoenix kernel without the threat of breaking it with the next change in the kernel code?

This is a purely practical question. Waiting for a stable version for 2 years is a long time. I would like to know the approximate release time of a stable version, for example, in a week, in a month, in a year, in 5 years, or is there no point in expecting such a version?

Or please recommend the stable version number to transfer my existing stores to them.

What part of this:

On 1/25/2021 at 10:39 PM, burt said:

As long as it takes.  It's a project that does not earn enough for coders to work on it full time (or even half time, or even 10% of the time) so..."as long as it takes".

If you do not like that answer;  you should be asking yourself how the 1000s of business that are currently not supporting, exactly why they are not supporting.  Because if every business using any of the Community Editions from the last 7 years put into the pot, we'd be able to give up other work and work on this project full time meaning the project would move much faster and we'd be able to do road maps and so on.  You reap what you sow, right?

do you not understand ?

And what does this have to do with the Brexit Topic ?

Thank you very much for your reply.
You blocked and deleted my Brexit questions. No problems. And there are no questions.
You answered this question.

I understand. Thank you very much for the detailed answer.

Best regards,

Fredi

3 hours ago, Fredi said:

I've used 1.0.7.12 for my latest live store, which seems to be stable (for my purposes) with the addons I'm using.  With a test environment I'm testing each release, currently 1.0.7.14, and won't use this until I'm happy to do so, with the addons I choose to use or develop myself.  It might be version 1.0.10.11 until I decide to transfer the test environment to the live environment, but that will be my choice.

You have to decide. Test, test and test.

osC CE live - developing osC Phoenix adding modules with no core changes(awesome and easy!)

None of your posts were deleted.    Please don't jump to a conclusion ;) 

Some posts were hidden which were about politics (and note that posts from 2 other people regarding politics were also hidden)

2 minutes ago, Mikepo said:

I've used 1.0.7.12 for my latest live store, which seems to be stable (for my purposes) with the addons I'm using.  With a test environment I'm testing each release, currently 1.0.7.14, and won't use this until I'm happy to do so, with the addons I choose to use or develop myself.  It might be version 1.0.10.11 until I decide to transfer the test environment to the live environment, but that will be my choice.

You have to decide. Test, test and test.

Thank You @Mikepo 

I have been testing Phoenix since the first version.
If I manage to adapt the modules I need, a new version comes out with a corrected and modernized kernel, and some of the modules need to be adapted again to the changes in the kernel. Unfortunately, this takes extra time. After the next adaptation, a new version comes and everything needs to be done again. I would like to stop, but there is no stable release.

Brexit. Dear @burt, you are a British citizen. I think that you are a patriot and are interested in the fact that the store you have been working on for 2 years will be adapted for use in different countries and so that Anglicans can order goods in different countries. I think it's not difficult for you to do it. No module - no sales from other countries to the UK.

Best regards,

Fredi

9 minutes ago, Fredi said:

are interested

I am not interested whatsoever.   It's a job for an addon maker.

You want a module?  You pay for it.  Find yourself a developer.  

You reap what you sow.  

Edited by burt

3 minutes ago, burt said:

I am not interested whatsoever.   It's a job for an addon maker.

You want a module?  You pay for it.  Find yourself a developer.  

You reap what you sow.  

Thank You 👍

Best regards,

Fredi

38 minutes ago, Fredi said:

but there is no stable release.

Like I said, 1.0.7.12 is stable for me, with the addons I use.  I'm not going to upgrade, until I've tested and I'm happy with whatever release I choose to use.  Just keep your test environment updated while your live store is up and running.  You make the live upgrade when you are happy.

osC CE live - developing osC Phoenix adding modules with no core changes(awesome and easy!)

1 hour ago, Fredi said:

I have been testing Phoenix since the first version.

If I manage to adapt the modules I need, a new version comes out with a corrected and modernized kernel, and some of the modules need to be adapted again to the changes in the kernel. Unfortunately, this takes extra time. After the next adaptation, a new version comes and everything needs to be done again. I would like to stop, but there is no stable release.

Pick a version. Make a decision and stick to it. Dont chase the latest version. All previous versions work. Over the years many addons have been converted for most of the Phoenix code and most versions are stable and work. I found when updating my store that version 1.0.5.0 was good, and there were lots of addons for it. Over the year that it took for me to get my store updated I then changed to use 1.0.7.9, which I updated to 1.0.7.10 and later to 1.0.7.11. There are no plans on my part to update my store past 1.0.7.11. I dont need to it all works. All the addons I want, apart from one which I will speak to a developer about in the near future, are working and a few just need a gentle tweak when I get time just to get rid of some notices, but they work and I can live with it. Much money has been spent on getting the store how I want it and I am not a bottomless pit just to keep a developer in work on every update, so for now the store will stay where it is.

Make a decision, use that version and if you need something coded get it coded for the version you want to use. If in a year or so time you want to update your store again, you can. I would not keep updating my store for every version, it just wastes time. Get on run your business and leave the worry of what is happening to Phoenix to those that want to worry about.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here

It's very easy to over complicate what are simple things in life

And in the last two posts you guys have explained very succinctly the reason why we have version numbering. 
Perhaps the OP can now stop pushing buttons, stop complaining about every little thing and instead concentrate on his business.

Thanks to you both @14steve14 and @Mikepo

On 1/28/2021 at 6:38 PM, Mikepo said:

Like I said, 1.0.7.12 is stable for me, with the addons I use.  I'm not going to upgrade, until I've tested and I'm happy with whatever release I choose to use.  Just keep your test environment updated while your live store is up and running.  You make the live upgrade when you are happy.

Hi Mikepo!

I'm glad that you are doing well!

How does the Admin work, everything is in order?

The OP is watching :-)

Best regards,

Fredi