• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Looking for advice, upgrading from 2003 osCommerce up to Latest

nemike

Hi, I read over the upgrade thread here in General Support and looked at the database migration and in general good information, but since I am dealing with an ANCIENT site that needs LOTS of loving, I thought I'd see what people suggested is a good approach to upgrading...

Yes it's really 2003, index.php has the following:

/*
  $Id: index.php,v 1.1 2003/06/11 17:37:59 hpdl Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions
  http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright (c) 2003 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License
*/

So should I attempt to upgrade every version one at a time from 2003 to now?  Or should I ???

I've at least upgraded the OS, php, mysql/mariadb and apache, I believe I will have to upgrade all of those again to get to all the way to present version.

Thanks for any advise!

Mike

I was in a similar situation to you are. In the end I decided to start with a fresh install of the latest version, and start adding all your addons and mods if they are available. Becoming a paid up supporter and getting all the back dated supporters code will be a good investment. Most of your older addons will break or require lots of updating so its not really worth the trouble of keeping the old ones and trying to update what you already have. Some may need updating more than once through the process.

It took  along time to do mine due to work pressures but after a few months it was ready for the database information. Gary @burt kindly sent me a copy of all the database changes required to update the old database to the new specs for the version I was planning on using. I have done one minor update since and all is still good..

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

9 hours ago, nemike said:

Yes it's really 2003, index.php has the following:

That is just the version of the file, not the version of the shop. Look for the version string in the includes/application_top.php file for the version. Though if your shop is one of the first, it won't won't have that string.

But it doesn't really matter, there is not an upgrade path for any non-Phoenix shop to a Phoenix shop. Your only choice is to do a new install, change the appearance as needed and install whatever addons you want. Due to how Phoenix is coded as compared to your shop, the whole procedure will be a lot easier than it sounds.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

oh WOW thanks Jack, the version in there says:

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3');

Nowhere near as bad as I thought!!!  So half as old as I though...

I should explain I am completely new to any kind of commerce stuff, I'm helping out a shop owner who no nothing about his site, I'm a software engineer but my focus for 25 years was networking.  So please bear with me if I stumble my way through this.  I was fooled by the date string in the index.php, I would have thought on each release that all files would be updated to the current release date.

I would assume there are security fixes that the site would benefit from by upgrading to the latest?

The only payment types (modules) his site supports is paypal and check/money order.

Oops I was in the wrong system window when I looked at the file includes/application_top.php, I was on the system I had stood up the latest version of osCommerce which I realize now it not really the latest version, I'd have to move to CE Phoenix.

Here is the version from the running site:

define('PROJECT_VERSION', 'osCommerce 2.2-MS2');

Mike

Archived