• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to Change Backend Password OSC 2.2 vintage shop

sack007

Hello.

I have to change my pw on my oscommerce 2.2 shop but cannot find any possibility for that. 

I see the file where the encrypted pw is safed for the login.

Can anyone tell how the pw is usually changed on that shop?

Thanks, Mario

If you have a .htpasswd file, then you would change the password entirely outside osCommerce.  This may be done in cPanel or through some other, host-specific method.  Ask your host how to change the htpasswd for that directory.  In cPanel, this was called "Password Protect Directories". 

If you are self-hosting (managing your own server), there are instructions at https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/HTTPD/PasswordBasicAuth but if you are purchasing hosting, you may not have the necessary permissions to do those things in that way. 

It is also barely possible that you are using an App (contribution) that handled the login.  But the more common way was basic authentication on the directory. 

Always back up before making changes.

Hi Burt,

thanks for the link. However, I do not have the "administrators" field in my database. Sure I know it needs an update. But as you know... It´s complicated!

Hi ecartz,

I am hosting my own site but I have no experience. So I try step by step to understand. 

The pw is saved in the file "catalog.admin.pw" in the main directory. 

Best, Mario

1 hour ago, sack007 said:

Can anyone tell how the pw is usually changed on that shop?

It consists of an .htaccess file in the admin directory and an .htpasswd file located in the admin directory or somewhere above it. You can find the location of that file by looking at the .htaccess file. The path will be in it. 

To change the password, you need to change the .htpasswd file. If you want to change the username too, then both files need to be changed. You can use this page to create the needed files. 

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived