• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Spam Accounts

I have a website that is constantly getting spam customer accounts created from various foreign countries.

I don't understand the reasoning in why they do this, but I have been manually removing them each day.

Is there a way to block this, or a mod to verify the IP address with the country selected?

I use @burt Maths Captcha add on which stops all of them.

Join the Phoenix Club at the top of the listing page and take advantage of the vast number of addons available.

Live shop Phoenix 1.0.8.4 on PHP 7.4 Working my way up the versions.

41 minutes ago, lyonsperf said:

I don't understand the reasoning in why they do this

Three things: 

1.  They may be using this to send spam email.  If the email address is for someone else but the personalized information is for "product/link they want to spam", they can use your email system to send their spam. 

2.  They may want you to read the messages.  I.e. they are spamming you. 

3.  They may simply be paid to do this.  Even if ineffective, they still get paid. 

There are several Captcha mods, including two from Burt for Phoenix. 

Apache includes the ability to block IP ranges.  I think there may be mods that help you configure Apache. 

Always back up before making changes.

57 minutes ago, lyonsperf said:

Is there a way to block this

The Honey Pot addon will stop them. It also has a tool in admin to clear out fake accounts.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived