• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Customers who back out of PayPal then abandon cart..

Ken_Shea

By "this number", do you mean the number of lost sales? If so, it depends. If the customer logs in and doesn't complete an order they start, you can install the Recover Cart Sales addon. If you are using Paypal Standard, then orders that are not completed will show up in your orderswith a preparing status, or whichever status you have it set to. You can also look in the log section of admin->Paypal, though that would take some time to go through.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

When I only used PayPal Standard  I found several customers would not continue with the order. I installed a recover carts addon which helped, but only if you get the email that is sent right. Many customers do ignore the emails so I presume only placed items in their cart to find out the price. You can also see who starts the process as Paypal should have a pending transaction status which as far as I believe shows when someone has actually gone to the Paypal site and then not completed. That status also shows for any refused payment as well which you can find in your PayPal account. I find from feedback that most people stop in the Paypal process on the first page they are taken to on the Paypal site as the link to pay as a guest is not as large as the create a Paypal account area.

I added a second card payment method using Stripe, and a bank transfer payment method and the number of incomplete orders did drop, but there are still several a month with both card processors, and of those only a few will respond to the recover carts email.

If you have done everything else to prevent cart abandonment on your site, then Paypal is probably the stumbling block. There is lots of info online about cart abandonment and how to reduce it happening.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Thanks Steve, just looking at some of the things now available on PayPal. I use PayPal Express. Just deleted hundreds of basket from the data base, they did date back to 2012, at that time time I was processing all card orders. But it did make me curious on what count were from PayPal . Been with PayPal for about 4 years now and I will be monitoring that closely as well as looking into other solutions to mitigate abandoned carts.

Archived