• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Feature Requests: Customer Groups & Discount Codes

SafeTBird

The title says it all

Can someone please for Gods sake put this functionality into OS Commerce???  It's the one thing I desperately need and every other eCommerce platform has these functions.

Customer Group
The ability to make a group and assign a customer to that group. Sounds easy enough, but a few changes would have to be made.

Customer Side:
- Add a button a customer can tick if they wish to choose to apply for a group during account creation.  This sends a flag to the Group module
- A disclaimer under the button points out that applications for regular customers are not necessary
- When customers associated with a Group buys something, the customer gets the Group discount

Administrator Side:
- Add a category in the Customers module called Groups.
- Add 2 options for this group:  Manage Groups, Pending Applications

Manage Groups
- Create New Group.  Options for these groups are:  Name of Group, Discounts (%, $ amount), Shipping Exempt
- Delete/Edit Group.  Click on a current Group to edit its features
- Add a table to each Group Information Page to show which customers are members of that group
Pending Applications
- This module would show a list of customers who have applied to join a Group
- A tick box to enable their application and a dropdown to assign them to a Group

PHP Side:
- The backend modifies all prices on the website to the discount values associated with a group
- When a customer associated with a group buys something, their price is the groups price (work this like the Wholesale mod for CE Phoenix)

If someone could make this change to OS Commerce and also release the update for CE Phoenix as well, that would be awesome!  Honestly, I'm shocked this isn't a standard feature with OS Commerce!  Anyway,  how soon can this get done??  Please someone do this!!!

@SafeTBird  Have you tried placing this in the Commercial support threads. There may be a developer that will code what you want for you. You can then release it back as an addon for others to use, unless you want someone to do it for you for free.

See here https://www.oscommerce.com/forums/forum/79-commercial-support-inquiries/

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

What I'm trying to say is this should be a standard function of OS commerce. The inability to create customer groups or offer discounts is a pretty massive blow to the platform and it makes me wonder just how many people out there gave up on OS commerce.

Then of course CE Pheonix suffers because the functionality is not native to OS Commerce.  Honestly it's a shocking lack of foresight on the developers part and after multiple calls on the forum for a solution the best you've got is to hire someone to do it?

The developers should honestly update their platform and do it happily.  How long would it take to write a dozen files and finally get some functionality

12 minutes ago, SafeTBird said:

How long would it take to write a dozen files and finally get some functionality

You've clearly never written any code.

13 minutes ago, SafeTBird said:

The developers should honestly update their platform and do it happily.

The developers are updating their platform, there are only 2 of them for core and they are prioritizing things

14 minutes ago, SafeTBird said:

the best you've got is to hire someone to do it?

You seem to be the only person asking for this so yes, you hire someone to do it. If it's written well and other people want to use it release it to @burt and it 'may' find it's way into core.

1 hour ago, SafeTBird said:

What I'm trying to say is this should be a standard function of OS commerce. The inability to create customer groups or offer discounts is a pretty massive blow to the platform and it makes me wonder just how many people out there gave up on OS commerce.

Then of course CE Pheonix suffers because the functionality is not native to OS Commerce.  Honestly it's a shocking lack of foresight on the developers part and after multiple calls on the forum for a solution the best you've got is to hire someone to do it?

The developers should honestly update their platform and do it happily.  How long would it take to write a dozen files and finally get some functionality

Why should it be a standard feature? Just because you want something does not mean that others do. Standard features included in core should be something that nearly everybody wants, not just s few. If lots of people wanted it, someone would have already updated the older modules. Its always been the way on these forums that people have to create the bits of code they want and then release them  to others. The core developers have improved the core system massively to allow other developers to create the modules that store owners need. If you need a feature for your store get it coded as I said before. Invest in your store and not expect everything to be for free.

Coming here and take take taking all the time, then shouting when something is not as you want will loose you many friends. It probably already has you on several block lists and your posts will not be visible to many. People here give their time to help and code for free in the spare time they have and they will not tolerate abuse or negative comments.

1 hour ago, burt said:

Change your attitude.  Do you think that "the developers" have time to read this sort of crap?

If you want it, make it or get it made, then share it.  That's "open source".

It's not my attitude it's yours. CE Phoenix is riddled with spelling errors and broken functionality that needs to be fixed. I've had to ask a thousand questions because as pur one friend said it, I'm NOT a programmer!  And the fact that you expect people who use your platform to he PHP developers is ridiculous!  The whole point to Softaculous is ease of use for the average person and every question I ask even things like "how do I fix a spelling error" is met with hostility!  I've been expected to fiddle and fumble around with my site and I've bricked it twice causing me to fully restore from scratch!  I just can't do this anymore!

I get it's a small team who produced OS Commerce but seriously it was released 20 years ago and you would think this issue would have been addressed!  It's like trying to sell a car without the steering wheel and when asked about it the community says "what, can't you engineer your own? Or pay someone to make you one??"

I have posted a query in the developer forum and hopefully someone responds!

5 minutes ago, 14steve14 said:

Why should it be a standard feature?

Because every retailer on the face of the planet has promotions and discounts.  When I get home today I will post the plethora of requests that have gone ignored and you people say no one is asking

Not really, no.
If you have products with strong competition, the prices are already low, so doing promotions or discounts is shooting yourself in the foot.
If we have products without competition, no need to do promotions or discounts.
For the rest, it's to see ...

with OsC 2.2 since 2006 ...

24 minutes ago, SafeTBird said:

It's not my attitude it's yours. CE Phoenix is riddled with spelling errors and broken functionality that needs to be fixed. I've had to ask a thousand questions because as pur one friend said it, I'm NOT a programmer!  And the fact that you expect people who use your platform to he PHP developers is ridiculous!  The whole point to Softaculous is ease of use for the average person and every question I ask even things like "how do I fix a spelling error" is met with hostility!  I've been expected to fiddle and fumble around with my site and I've bricked it twice causing me to fully restore from scratch!  I just can't do this anymore!

I get it's a small team who produced OS Commerce but seriously it was released 20 years ago and you would think this issue would have been addressed!  It's like trying to sell a car without the steering wheel and when asked about it the community says "what, can't you engineer your own? Or pay someone to make you one??"

Change of attitude required. 

1 hour ago, SafeTBird said:

I get that oscommerce was created over 20 years ago, but more than 5 years ago it was left to die. It was turned into a community project and with the guidance on mainly one coder and a few store owners it was improved. If you want to use the 20 year old version of oscommerce feel free to do so. There are lots of addons that you can find for that version that will do what you want. The hardest part will be finding the older ones that you need, but they will be there. You cant blame Phoenix for your errors and mistakes. As you say you messed up your site twice, that was your doing. You should learn from those mistakes and take regular backups saved to your computer before you make any changes. I learned that many years ago. You would only have had to start from the last backup then to put things right. Easy and common sense.

As  along time supporter of oscommerce I hate it when people come and bad mouth something that they are doing nothing to change, and many here will feel the same. If you dont like what you are using go find something that will work. You made a decision to use Phoenix. No one forced you to do it. You tried the others and chose Phoenix for what ever reason. Get with the flow and if there is something wrong that you feel should be updated or changed make the suggestion in a civil manner and explain what needs changing, how to change in and supply the changed code. Be proactive. You will earn respect for it, but all I think you want is something for nothing.

8 hours ago, bonbec said:

Not really, no.
If you have products with strong competition, the prices are already low, so doing promotions or discounts is shooting yourself in the foot.
If we have products without competition, no need to do promotions or discounts.
For the rest, it's to see ...

That is unless you are working with retailers who have negotiated a lower price than the average customer.  Then in that case, the retailer logs in and buys goods at their regular discount.  I'm not interested in a lecture on how to sell my products.  Thanks for coming out to play though

10 hours ago, SafeTBird said:

That is unless you are working with retailers who have negotiated a lower price than the average customer.  Then in that case, the retailer logs in and buys goods at their regular discount.  I'm not interested in a lecture on how to sell my products.  Thanks for coming out to play though 

It was to tell you that you are not a general case.
Thanks for coming out to play though too.

with OsC 2.2 since 2006 ...

On 8/12/2020 at 4:10 PM, SafeTBird said:

And the fact that you expect people who use your platform to he PHP developers is ridiculous! 

I'm afraid OsCommerce has always been that way.  In fact in its early years if you couldn't code PHP you were stuck with the basic 'out the box' bland unfriendly looking version which no-one ever uses.

Phoenix is  a 'project in progress' to remove this limitation but still some PHP knowledge is needed if you want to expand the basic look of the site. although much dependence on coding has now been removed in terms of adding extra modules etc..

Doesn't mean you have to be an expert, I can do PHP enough for my site but its not my forte, I'm expert in assembler, not really useful for Phoenix.

If you can't code at all maybe a word-press or shopify site is more appropriate..

Archived