• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Shipping Shipping Help Help

Gary Tayman

HELP HELP!

I don't have a PhD in computer programming, and hopefully I would think you don't need one to do the simplest of tasks.  But months have turned into years, and I'm STILL having trouble getting OS=COMMERCE to work properly for me.  I checked -- I first signed in back in 2011 -- NINE YEARS.  HOW DO I FIX THIS????

Here's the issue:  Everything about OS-COMMERCE has been wonderful and easy to use.  Except shipping.  It has been HORRIBLE!  How in the Sam Hill does anyone run an online store without shipping?  Yet here I am, out in the cold.  Am I the only person in the entire world who is having this problem?  Do I need to pay somebody to install something for me?  I really need help.

I have a grand total of two choices, flat rate and table rate.  I've been using the table rate, and it sorta kinda works for some shipments, but when it charges $6 to ship auto parts to Switzerland there's a real problem, and I'm tired of e-mailing customers, asking for more money because OS-Commerce can't get it right.

Solution:  install another shipping module.  HOW?  I've bumbled around the internet and found the addon page, located a USPS Module and downloaded it.  It's in an RAR ZIP file.  Now what? 

Since OS-Commerce is installed on my Hostmonster website, I called them.  Couldn't get through, but eventually got chat help.  After quite awhile, he told me the module has been uploaded to the proper OS-Commerce folder.  I don't see it anywhere within the Admin site.  They told me to contact OS-Commerce; you will install it for me.  Uh, here I am.

Please please please please please please tell me what I need to do, besides chuck this whole thing and go to Magento or something else.  Any help here please?  Seriously, it has been NINE years,  An e-commerce sire without shipping is like a car without wheels.  HOW DO I DO THIS?

Thanks.

10 hours ago, Gary Tayman said:

I've been using the table rate, and it sorta kinda works for some shipments, but when it charges $6 to ship auto parts to Switzerland there's a real problem

If you want your shipping costs to be different by geographic region (zone), use zone shipping.  That comes with the latest community edition release.  You might try joining the Phoenix Club for more help with the community edition. 

In terms of installing modules, you do that at admin > Modules > Shipping.  Click the Install button to see a list of available modules.  Note that you have to upload the files first if it's not one of the ones that come with core. 

Always back up before making changes.

2 hours ago, ecartz said:

In terms of installing modules, you do that at admin > Modules > Shipping.  Click the Install button to see a list of available modules.  Note that you have to upload the files first if it's not one of the ones that come with core. 

I've done exactly that.  It's not there.

I DL'ed the USPS Module.  I have it on my computer, download files, as a RAR.ZIP file.

I suppose the next step is to upload this, or open it and upload the files, to some folder in my OS-Commerce section of my website.  Since my server is Hostmonster, I checked with them, and they uploaded in in the right place for me, or so they say.  But it's not there.  They sent me here.

Now seriously -- is there a step-by step procedure for grabbing a module, putting it on my site, and installing it?  There must be thousands and thousands of users who have done this.  It shouldn't be hard.  But HOW DO I DO THIS?

14 minutes ago, Gary Tayman said:

But HOW DO I DO THIS?

First query should be addressed to the module writer - they should provide install instructions specific to their module.
If you don't know what you're doing, it's best to hire a developer to do it for you.
If you wish to DIY, be prepared to learn by googling and bear in mind that those that answer your posts here are giving you time by the kindness of their hearts.
Usually, after downloading a zip, you unzip the folder.
Then, using FTP software (e.g. Filezilla), upload to your server, maintaining the same file structure.
Then install the module in admin.
BTW, if you're using oscommerce software that is 9 years old, you should consider upgrading to the latest CE Phoenix.

13 hours ago, Gary Tayman said:

They told me to contact OS-Commerce; you will install it for me.  Uh, here I am.

There are professional developers here that would do that if paid - nobody can do it otherwise.

>>>>If you wish to DIY, be prepared to learn by googling and bear in mind that those that answer your posts here are giving you time by the kindness of their hearts.
Usually, after downloading a zip, you unzip the folder.
Then, using FTP software (e.g. Filezilla), upload to your server, maintaining the same file structure.

That sounds logical enough, but what folder do I put it in?  Can you give me a path?

>>>>There are professional developers here that would do that if paid - nobody can do it otherwise.

How much, and how do I go about this?  I'll go this route if I have to, and BTW I checked to see what version OS-Commerce I had before asking, it tells me I have the latest.

Okay, I guess I'm done.

I found an instruction sheet within the ZIP file.  I swear it's like programming an Apollo space module!  Pages and pages and pages of code!  Holy cow!

Many years ago I was given a web space through my Sams Club Business Membership.  I looked at the website; most if it was rather cheesy but the online shopping was great!  So I started an online store.  It calculated UPS or USPS shipping, all was wonderful.

Then one day I was informed that Sams would no longer be supporting this.,  So I started looking for other sites and other options.  I first tried Magento, and since I was learning it I ordered the book -- got the book, but it was for an older version and most of it had changed dramatically.  Tried and gave up.  Then I went to OS-Commerce.  It was easy and straightforward, but one problem -- shipping.  it was a major bugaboo from the start.  Again I ask, as I have asked over and over and over, how do you run an online store without shipping?  I asked on the forum, and got nothing but snarky remarks and belittlement.  No answers.  Can't run a store without shipping.

But then, I found the Sams Club site got moved to Web.com and was still active.  So what to do?  ABANDON OS-Commerce with it no shipping mess and simply go back to the original site.  A couple years later the Web.com site began to act up -- customers would get errors, just plain unreliable, and Web.com said it's because the software is old.  Well, back to OS-Commerce.  Surely they would not be so insane as to not have a viable shipping option after all this time, but I guessed wrong.  Looks like they ARE that insane, or at least it appears such due to the lack of assistance I've been getting.  Yes, I've perused the site for instructions, and yes, I've sent e-mails directly with no responses, and yes, I have tried, over and over and over again.  This was one last ditch effort to get help, and I guess there Is no help to be had.  Phooey!

The problem is that I don't get that many orders anyway.  It doesn't justify the million dollars in would take to get someone's attention.  So I suppose I'll keep it as it is, and deny orders that exceed the shipping cost provided by the stupid table rate.

Sorry if I sound like I'm getting an attitude, but enough is enough.  I'll go to the computer magazines, tell them my horrible experience with OS-Commerce, and see if they have other options.

@Gary Tayman

8 hours ago, Gary Tayman said:

I DL'ed the USPS Module.  I have it on my computer, download files, as a RAR.ZIP file.

Can you please tell us *which* USPS module you downloaded? A quick search of the apps site showed over a dozen USPS modules, some going back as far as 16-17 years old.

1 hour ago, Gary Tayman said:

>>>>There are professional developers here that would do that if paid - nobody can do it otherwise.

How much, and how do I go about this?  I'll go this route if I have to, and BTW I checked to see what version OS-Commerce I had before asking, it tells me I have the latest.

First, while I believe you that "it tells me I have the latest", can you please tell us exactly what version number that is?

Second, IF you are using the Phoenix version of osC, I encourage you to join the Phoenix club here in the forum. There is a list of certified developers you can contact.

If you are NOT using the Phoenix version of osC, as difficult as this is going to sound, I encourage you to start over with Phoenix. The last 'official' release of osC was in 2017, it is not responsive (necessary these days for people with mobile devices), and will crash when your host upgrades the version of PHP.

33 minutes ago, Gary Tayman said:

I found an instruction sheet within the ZIP file.  I swear it's like programming an Apollo space module!  Pages and pages and pages of code!  Holy cow!

Which is why I asked which USPS module did you download.

In earlier versions of osC, the only way to add features was to 'hack the core code.' The development of Phoenix has focused on making it possible to have modules that drop into place, and you do NOT hack the core code. This way, as Phoenix continues to develop, you can upgrade your store in-place, without having to remember what bits of code you hacked.

39 minutes ago, Gary Tayman said:

Well, back to OS-Commerce.  Surely they would not be so insane as to not have a viable shipping option after all this time, but I guessed wrong.  Looks like they ARE that insane, or at least it appears such due to the lack of assistance I've been getting.  Yes, I've perused the site for instructions, and yes, I've sent e-mails directly with no responses, and yes, I have tried, over and over and over again.  This was one last ditch effort to get help, and I guess there Is no help to be had.  Phooey

Who specifically did you send emails to? This is open-source software. There is no mother company offering (selling) technical support. Any of the developers here (or elsewhere, for that matter) are all independent.

I acknowledge that there is not proper documentation for osC (documentations is being developed for Phoenix. Ask nicely, and I'll tell you where it is). I acknowledge that the apps marketplace is a horrible mess. Most of the old apps have not been updated to run with the current Phoenix software (the more popular apps *are* being maintained and updated for Phoenix). I acknowledge that it's not easy for a non-technical person to install, configure, and maintain a complicated piece of software. That's what we have 'experts' for. But, their time, experience,  and expertise typically isn't free.

Lastly, all of the people answering questions here are volunteering their time. I've just spent far too much time trying to answer your rant than it probably deserved ...

1 hour ago, Gary Tayman said:

Sorry if I sound like I'm getting an attitude, but enough is enough.  I'll go to the computer magazines, tell them my horrible experience with OS-Commerce, and see if they have other options.

<shaking head>

You want a shopping cart. Fine. There are plenty out there. How much do you want to spend?

As I've taught my kids from an early age, if you want something, there are 3 options:

* Pay someone to do it, or

* Do it yourself (and this includes getting the tools and learning how to do it), or

* Do without

(or, I guess you could cry to the world claiming that life isn't fair ...)

9 hours ago, Gary Tayman said:

enough is enough

Correct. 

You have illustrated why osCommerce is on its knees;

• Businesses who appear as if by magic only when they need help/advice. 

I have just looked back through your posts and there is not a single one where you take the time to help anyone or give advice etc, but you are quite happy to have your business subsidised by other businesses here. 

If you don't give, you don't get.  One hand washes the other etc. 

9 hours ago, Gary Tayman said:

I'll go to the computer magazines, tell them my horrible experience with OS-Commerce, and see if they have other options.

Classy.  Go right ahead.  Don't be surprised if that backfires on you.

Archived