yahalimu

Cloud VPS for OsC

Hi,

Due to a rubbish support with out current normal VPS I am considering moving to a cloud based VPS from a large supplier. MUCH cheaper, more memory and SSD space and much better value for money.

Has anyone used a cloud VPS? Any comments as regards performance versus a normal server?

The main slow down is currently caused by MySQL access, in a normal VPS the MySQL server is shared between other VPS on that machine, will a cloud based VPS not have this issue as it is shared differently?

Anyone tried both enough to compare?

lain

A Cloud VPS just means there are multiple servers acting as one. It is still a shared server but, in theory, you won't be as affected by other accounts on the server since the load is distributed. But unless you have a very large and busy site, a VPS (either one) is almost never needed. Of course, that depends on the host since many will overload their servers to increase the profit.

Hi,

Great I think I'll give it a go.

Firstly cost wise it seems MUCH cheaper. ( The cloud VPS is run by one of the biggest hosters in EU)  I just wondered if there was a catch.

My site has been on various VPS for about 12 years. Just the one site on its own IP.  We have quite a bit of traffic (About 1200 unique visitors per day not counting bots etc), normally 10-20 online at any one point.

As I mentioned slow downs seems to be MySQL related and I was told it was probably due to other users on the machine rather than extreme traffic or complex queries with many results..

I am moving as my current host seems unable to re-partition the drive to give me the disk space I upgraded to without a whole new server & IP !

Pretty poor really. Doesn't encourage me about their Linux admin capabilities.

A cloud server is also MUCH easier to upgrade I'm told.

I think I'll 'get with the kids' and try the cloud.!

Hopefully more control over the MySQL server in terms of guaranteed bandwidth, etc

Good luck. However, the usual cause of the slowdown isn't due to the server. It is almost always due to data skimmers. 1200 a day is higher than many sites but not a great deal. We have hosting members that have over 3500, and that's on a shared server. The difference is that those sites block the data skimmers. If you don't have View Counter installed, I suggest you install it. If you are saving by moving to a Cloud VPS, then you should do so. But I'm not sure it will prevent your slowness.

Indeed, I have been blocking most data skimmers via htaccess as robots.txt is less effective.

The memory used by apache climbs and climbs, slows the whole site down, I notice the slow down and manually ban their IP.

Got quite a large IP ban list now. Amazon, Ahrefs, Huwawei and other skimmers.

Fail2Ban seems ineffective but maybe I haven't configured it properly. 

In case you are not aware of it, once you identify such a bad IP, you should block their IP range instead of just the IP. This is because such bots almost always have more than one IP. Blocking search engines, like ahrefs, is more difficult than blocking data skimmers that are not known bots but it can be done.

I am also planning on switching to cloud based VPS, I still don't know the exact date though.

We have lots of trees around the backyard and it grows so well that I need to prune then as soon as possible to avoid accidents. My friend recommended for me to read first this Best pole saw reviews article https://gardeningfacts.org/best-pole-saw/ so that I would know which pruner will be suited for me.