• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Cloud VPS for OsC

yahalimu

Hi,

Due to a rubbish support with out current normal VPS I am considering moving to a cloud based VPS from a large supplier. MUCH cheaper, more memory and SSD space and much better value for money.

Has anyone used a cloud VPS? Any comments as regards performance versus a normal server?

The main slow down is currently caused by MySQL access, in a normal VPS the MySQL server is shared between other VPS on that machine, will a cloud based VPS not have this issue as it is shared differently?

Anyone tried both enough to compare?

lain

A Cloud VPS just means there are multiple servers acting as one. It is still a shared server but, in theory, you won't be as affected by other accounts on the server since the load is distributed. But unless you have a very large and busy site, a VPS (either one) is almost never needed. Of course, that depends on the host since many will overload their servers to increase the profit.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi,

Great I think I'll give it a go.

Firstly cost wise it seems MUCH cheaper. ( The cloud VPS is run by one of the biggest hosters in EU)  I just wondered if there was a catch.

My site has been on various VPS for about 12 years. Just the one site on its own IP.  We have quite a bit of traffic (About 1200 unique visitors per day not counting bots etc), normally 10-20 online at any one point.

As I mentioned slow downs seems to be MySQL related and I was told it was probably due to other users on the machine rather than extreme traffic or complex queries with many results..

I am moving as my current host seems unable to re-partition the drive to give me the disk space I upgraded to without a whole new server & IP !

Pretty poor really. Doesn't encourage me about their Linux admin capabilities.

A cloud server is also MUCH easier to upgrade I'm told.

I think I'll 'get with the kids' and try the cloud.!

Hopefully more control over the MySQL server in terms of guaranteed bandwidth, etc

Good luck. However, the usual cause of the slowdown isn't due to the server. It is almost always due to data skimmers. 1200 a day is higher than many sites but not a great deal. We have hosting members that have over 3500, and that's on a shared server. The difference is that those sites block the data skimmers. If you don't have View Counter installed, I suggest you install it. If you are saving by moving to a Cloud VPS, then you should do so. But I'm not sure it will prevent your slowness.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Indeed, I have been blocking most data skimmers via htaccess as robots.txt is less effective.

The memory used by apache climbs and climbs, slows the whole site down, I notice the slow down and manually ban their IP.

Got quite a large IP ban list now. Amazon, Ahrefs, Huwawei and other skimmers.

Fail2Ban seems ineffective but maybe I haven't configured it properly. 

In case you are not aware of it, once you identify such a bad IP, you should block their IP range instead of just the IP. This is because such bots almost always have more than one IP. Blocking search engines, like ahrefs, is more difficult than blocking data skimmers that are not known bots but it can be done.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 2 weeks later...

I am also planning on switching to cloud based VPS, I still don't know the exact date though.

We have lots of trees around the backyard and it grows so well that I need to prune then as soon as possible to avoid accidents. My friend recommended for me to read first this Best pole saw reviews article https://gardeningfacts.org/best-pole-saw/ so that I would know which pruner will be suited for me.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/17/2020 at 3:41 PM, yahalimu said:

Got quite a large IP ban list now. Amazon, Ahrefs, Huwawei and other skimmers.

Is Amazon cosidered a skimmer? I see Amazon's IP a lot, and the session even has a filled shippingbasket...

Should I block?

Is it Amazon or AWS (Amazon Web Services)?

I believe AWS is their cloud hosting offering and can contain lots of baddies.

Live shop Phoenix 1.0.8.4 on PHP 7.4 Working my way up the versions.

not sure what kind of pricing you are paying but I have been using Hostdime for both a VPS and dedicated managed server for over a decade, highly recommend them of you are still looking

Jim Bullen - President

The Cigar Hut Group of Companies

Installed add-ons: (that now need to be upgraded to OSC CE Phoenix)

PWA, MVS, Easy Populate, Dynamic Sitemap, Featured Products, MVS Order Editor, MVS Shipping Estimator, Google XML Sitemap, About Us, Ad Tracker, Address Enhancer, Also Purchased, Backorders, Category Descriptions, Dynamic Meta Tags, Contact Us Email Subjects, Country state Selector, Extra Address Line, Order Number in Email Subject, OSC Affiliate, Product Extra Fields, Review Approval System, Reviews in Product Display, Sold Out, Sold Out (but Displayed), Ultimate SEO URL's, Updated Spiders, Welcome Email Password, Pending Order Email, Who's Online Enhancement, CCGV, Easy Discounts, Customer Comments, Request a Review, Sales Report, plus many many more!

I ban Amazon AWS as they scrape my site and slow the database response time down, really annoying. Luckily we don't sell to USA much..

The FPM_Apache memory use goes sky high and I get alerts.

Unfortunately they soon start using another IP range which needs another ban range in htaccess. So far I have the following bad list of scrappers:

Order Allow,Deny
# Webmeup
Deny from 176.9.9
Deny from 5.9.6
# Amazon
Deny from 35.175.246.174
Deny from 54.210.225
Deny from 54.147.128
Deny from 34.234.92
Deny from 52.200.134
Deny from 3.83.158
Deny from 54.221.69
Deny from 35.175.145
Deny from 18.206.119
# Ahrefs
Deny from 54.36.148.0/24
Deny from 54.36.149.0/24
Deny from 54.36.150.0/24
Deny from 195.154.122.0/24
Deny from 195.154.123.0/24
Deny from 195.154.126.0/24
Deny from 195.154.127.0/24
#Huwawai cloud
Deny from 114.119
# Semrush
Deny from 46.229
Allow from all

It is true from an earlier post that getting a larger and faster VPS is just hiding the problem, because it wont slow down so much with scrapping, but his contrib wont work with Phoenix and I don't want to continually keep banning IP's.

So I've gone for a faster NORMAL VPS at great expense.

I tried a cloud VPS but I found the back-office stuff was seriously slowed down. FTP took an age and it wouldn't import my database in PHPMYADMIN without breaking and then continuing, which didn't always work. The new normal VPS imports a dump all in one go.

And yes I did max out the PHP timeout to see, it still broke the import.

19 hours ago, yahalimu said:

Unfortunately they soon start using another IP range

We use this method with success.
Find the name to use from access logs.
Example here for semrush:

BrowserMatchNoCase semrushbot bad_bot
order allow,deny
deny from env=bad_bot
allow from all

On 7/25/2020 at 6:48 AM, yahalimu said:

Unfortunately they soon start using another IP range

To be clear, Amazon AWS is not Amazons search bot. Their search bot is named amazonbot as explained here. Their search bot will obey an entry in the robots file so it can be blocked that way.

Amazon AWS is their hosting service. They don't, as far as I know, send search bots. But anyone hosting with them can send bots and that is probably what you are seeing.  This page lists all of Amazons AWS IP's as of about a year ago. Amazon offers a current list but it has to be obtained by code.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived