• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Lost with version to use

plutomon

Hello, 

I'm going to resume my current online store. My old version is an osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.3.4 
I'm only going to import customers addresses information, nor products nor orders information. I want to customize colors and not so much. Obviously I want the store to be accessible from PC but also from tablets or mobile phones. I need English but also Spanish languages. What version should I install?
I have downloaded a 2341-Frozen version, but I'm reading that support is finished for Frozen. I have checked Official Oscommerce webpage and there is a 2.3.4.1 version to be downloaded but I'm not sure if tis is a responsive version because there isn't any Bootstrap folder inside (I'm quite lost about if boostrap is needed or not)

Should I install the official version from the oscommerce website? should I install a Phoenix version? Keep on with Frozen version?

Thanks so much in advance for your answers.

You should not use Frozen if you are starting today. 

Version 2.3.4.1 will not work with newer versions of PHP.  So if you use it, you should make sure that you stay on PHP 5 and not 7.  Your host may not like to continue running PHP 5. 

Phoenix is current, responsive, and under active development.  It is the successor to Frozen.  I would recommend this over 2.3.4.1. 

Always back up before making changes.

2 hours ago, ecartz said:

You should not use Frozen if you are starting today. 

Version 2.3.4.1 will not work with newer versions of PHP.  So if you use it, you should make sure that you stay on PHP 5 and not 7.  Your host may not like to continue running PHP 5. 

Phoenix is current, responsive, and under active development.  It is the successor to Frozen.  I would recommend this over 2.3.4.1. 

Thanks so much!

3 hours ago, burt said:

Frozen is EOL (End Of Life) on Monday.  You should therefore avoid it for a new store and as @ecartz rightly says, Phoenix v1.0.6.0 is the de-facto standard of osCommerce;  https://www.oscommerce.com/Products&Download=oscom2ce-phoenix-v1.0.6.0

Thanks @burt

I'm having an issue trying to install the Phoenix version that you have recommended me.

When I access the web folder where the oscommerce is placed www.mysite.com/myshop   the installation process doesn't start and appears a "Parse error":

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '[' in /usr/home/mysite.com/web/myshop/includes/application_top.php on line 53

The server where my web is hosted is running  this PHP version   5.3.29-1~dotdeb.0 (Zend: 2.3.0)       Is this error related with the PHP version?

18 minutes ago, plutomon said:

Is this error related with the PHP version?

Yes.  Phoenix requires PHP 7.  That particular line requires PHP 5.4 or newer. 

If you go directly to www.mysite.com/myshop/install/index.php, you'll get a page that tells you that you need PHP 7. 

2 minutes ago, ecartz said:

Yes.  Phoenix requires PHP 7.  That particular line requires PHP 5.4 or newer. 

If you go directly to www.mysite.com/myshop/install/index.php, you'll get a page that tells you that you need PHP 7. 

Thanks @ecartz

I was just reading a post about Phoenix 1.0.4.0 saying that PHP 7 is needed when I received the notification of your message.

I will ask my hosting supplier to move my contents to a server with PHP 7.

By the way, I would like to keep on using the old store (osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.3.4 ) while I'm configuring te new one. Will it work with PHP 7?

1 minute ago, plutomon said:

By the way, I would like to keep on using the old store (osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.3.4 ) while I'm configuring te new one. Will it work with PHP 7?

No.  It's often better to start a new site for that migration.  So your 2.3.3.4 stays on 5.3 while you work on Phoenix on 7.  Some hosts can do that in subdirectories but most will prefer separate domains.  You might be able to use a subdomain like shop.mysite.com rather than www.mysite.com

1 minute ago, valquiria23 said:

Hola @plutomon

Pode bajar la ultima versión de Oscommerce Phoenix en el link de mi firma.

Los paquete del idioma español están en el siguiente link https://apps.oscommerce.com/f8hiQ&espanol-para-osc-ce.

Suerte

Valqui

Muchísimas gracias Valqui

Voy a ver si consigo que el hosting me actualie el PHP

Archived